HELP !!!! LOL...op amp sample ordering confusion
Apr 12, 2008 at 10:59 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 23

Hookem

100+ Head-Fier
Trying to order some sample op amps for the Audiotrak Prodigy HD2.

Looking at Linear's website for the LT1634 they list 40+

Linear Technology - LT1634 - Micropower Precision Shunt Voltage Reference LT1634 LT1634AIS8-5 LT1634BIS8-1.25#TR LT1634BIS8-5#PBF LT1634BIS8-2.5#PBF LT1634BCS8-5#TRPBF LT1634AIS8-1.25#TR LT1634BCS8-2.5#PBF LT1634ACS8-1.25#TR LT1634AIS8-1.25#PBF LT163

It would seem from the diagram I would need the S8 Package as they are rectangular versus the square MS8 package...But then which S8 ??? They list a LT1634ACS8-1.25, LT1634ACS8-2.5...It just goes on and on...
confused.gif

I am really lost here guys...I tried to read up on them but no "idiots guide to ordering op amp's" was found...And yes..."my search powers are weak even for a old man"...
eek.gif

Same thing at National Semicondutor...Search for the LM4562's and let confusion begin...They list a MDIP, TO-99, SOIC Narrow...Geezzz

LM4562 - Dual High Performance, High Fidelity Audio Operational Amplifier

I dont need no stinkin badges...I just want some Linear LT1364/LT1634's and some dog gone LM4562's.

I hate to get them to send me stuff that I cannot use...Free is great...Hate to mess with my sample karma.

Here is a quote from a thread here discussing which op amps to use.

"It's been discussed thoroughly in another forum I read frequently:

2x OPA2134 -> 2x OPA2604
NE5532 -> AD8022 (you need an SOIC to DIP8 adapter)

Kills AD8620, LM6172, LM4562, OPA2107, OPA2134 - however you combine them. AD825 is single so things get even more complicated. Try verified 2x OPA2604 + AD8022 combo.

Original OPA2134 is FET input, LT1364 is bipolar input so I'm not sure it's the best idea from electrical point of view. Other FET input op amps are: OPA2107, AD8620, AD8066 but you actually don't need to waste your time."

Origianl op amps are FET...SOIC to DIP8...I'm getting dizzy.

Come on guys...Help a brother out.

Please ?
biggrin.gif

Apr 13, 2008 at 1:05 AM Post #2 of 23
You will probably need the DIP8 package. Samples are nice and free, but they often take too long and with too much hassle (follow up phone calls with their engineers/sales reps). It's a lot quicker and not expensive at all to order them from digikey or newark. I got mine from Newark the next day.

Not to mention LT do not package well at all for their samples. They put the opamps in a static free ziplock and a bubble envelope. No foam protection for the legs/pins, they arrived seriously damaged and very very late. No such problems from newark, foam protection inside a cardboard box.

Apr 13, 2008 at 5:53 PM Post #5 of 23
As a pro EE who uses the sample program in his work, I have to remind you that these aren't just FREE. You are STEALING. They are samples passed out in the hopes that you will put the products into production. Cheapskate. Thief. Go to mouser for crissake and BUY the bloody things. It's not like they cost much.

Apr 13, 2008 at 7:52 PM Post #6 of 23
Quote:

Originally Posted by bigcat39 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
As a pro EE who uses the sample program in his work, I have to remind you that these aren't just FREE. You are STEALING. They are samples passed out in the hopes that you will put the products into production. Cheapskate. Thief. Go to mouser for crissake and BUY the bloody things. It's not like they cost much.

Cheapskate ??? THIEF ???
mad.gif

STEALING ???
mad.gif

Well excuse me if I assumed that free samples are just that...FREE.

And now that some of the helpful people here have told me where I can buy them I will do just that.

I would hope that you would be a little more careful who you call a thief...I do not know what protocol is on this deal and really take exception to you calling me a thief.

You sir are a punk...Come to Texas and call me a thief to my face...You could have just as easily made your point that they expect you to put them in production and that is why they offer samples...Calling me names and putting a label on me is just not necessary...You jerk.

Apr 13, 2008 at 8:24 PM Post #7 of 23
Quote:

Originally Posted by bigcat39 /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Oh please. Stealing by definition is the taking of (sometimes use of) property without the owner's consent. In this situation, we have the owner's consent. Therefore, said situation can not be one of theft.

Apr 13, 2008 at 10:51 PM Post #8 of 23
Quote:

Originally Posted by Apocalypsee /img/forum/go_quote.gif
One guy suggest 2x LT1364 + 1x LME49720, haven't try it. But don't try 3x LME49720, your ear will explode, I know, I tried

2x LT1364 + LME49720 sound too rough and sterille to me, it was hard to listen for longer period, so I don't recommend this combination.

I recommend 2xLT1364 + LT1361 or 2xLT1469 + LT1361 combo,
LT1364s have nice warm mids and bass, but lacks highs and soundstage.
LT1469s sound similar to LT1364 with wider soundstage, better highs, but not so nice mids and bass:/ Now i am searching for opamps, which would sound something between LT1364 and LT1469
smily_headphones1.gif

Apr 14, 2008 at 1:15 AM Post #9 of 23
"I recommend 2xLT1364 + LT1361 or 2xLT1469 + LT1361 combo"

Can I assume that the LT1364, LT1361 and LT1469's are made by Linear ???

I have heard that 2 LT1634's with a LM4562 has a nice balanced sound.

I have also heard that the LT1364's with the LM4562 is good.

LOL...I guess it could develop into a sickness...Changing the op amps that is.

Apr 14, 2008 at 8:58 AM Post #10 of 23
Quote:

Originally Posted by Hookem /img/forum/go_quote.gif
"I recommend 2xLT1364 + LT1361 or 2xLT1469 + LT1361 combo"

Can I assume that the LT1364, LT1361 and LT1469's are made by Linear ???

I have heard that 2 LT1634's with a LM4562 has a nice balanced sound.

I have also heard that the LT1364's with the LM4562 is good.

LOL...I guess it could develop into a sickness...Changing the op amps that is.

yep all LTs are made by linear. Imho LM49720 is only renamed LM4562, according to same parameters.

Apr 16, 2008 at 2:33 PM Post #11 of 23
Quote:

Originally Posted by royalcrown /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Oh please. Stealing by definition is the taking of (sometimes use of) property without the owner's consent. In this situation, we have the owner's consent. Therefore, said situation can not be one of theft.

Ever wonder why TI has drastically reduced their sample program? Abuse, plain and simple.

Quote:

I hate to get them to send me stuff that I cannot use...Free is great...Hate to mess with my sample karma.

You're already messing with sample karma in my book by abusing a program for something other than it's intended use. It's not there so that you can try rolling opamps for free, even if they don't take the time to address that specific instance. So do everyone a favor and spend the $20 at Digikey to get the opamps. And PS if you put a 1634 in you Prodigy you'll get your karmic reward.

Apr 16, 2008 at 6:17 PM Post #12 of 23
Ever wonder why TI has drastically reduced their sample program? Abuse, plain and simple.

NO I DONT !!!!! I will tell you just like I told BigCat...I am a newbie...Do you know what that is ??? I found out about the sample thing on a different forum and had absolutley no idea what it's intended purpose is...Until a couple of weeks ago I did not even know a op amp was...This is riduculous...How do people become op amp sample program police, judge and jury ????

Look I am trying to find out what op amps I should get for a Audiotrak Prodigy HD2...I could care less about your opinion...Call me a cheapskate or a thief...I really do not care...I have already gone round and round with bigcat and really do not care to get into it with you...The point has already been made and to my way of thinking you are only adding to what has already been a extremely negative experience.

Look...You have made your point...Now go away and leave me alone...I was trying to let this thread die and go away...I dont need you preaching to me...If you do not have any advice on which specific op amps to run instead of your "PS put a 1634" in there then please just let this thread die...A recommendation that I see as a thinly veild way to give me your 2 cents about the op amp sample program...BigCat has already called me a cheapskate, thief...Now you have to chime in ???

You're already messing with sample karma in my book by abusing a program for something other than it's intended use.

I will tell you what sir...I have not and am not going to get any op amp samples from anybody...So please...GO AWAY !!!!!!!

Geezzz am I going to have to PM the mods and get them to remove the thread ??? Ask a question and get called a thief, cheapskate and get preached to like I am some little kid.

Bigcat told me that some of the discussions about op amps have gotten ugly and have been deleted...I dont know about you but if I do not have anything good to say I usually keep my mouth shut...THE POINT HAS BEEN MADE !!!!!

mad.gif

Apr 16, 2008 at 8:32 PM Post #13 of 23
Listen, go back and reread my post without your own pre-decided anger. Where did I call you cheap, a thief or otherwise? I am no bigcat, don't really know bigcat and my comments had nothing to do with his, so calm down. You're off the spazz charts right now, come back to the really real world. I'm not going to quote your reply above since I suspect you'd probably like to edit out some of what you said.

And here's a big hint, don't want to be treated like a kid don't act like one. Telling folks to "go away and leave me alone" isn't exactly a mature reaction.

Finally, the LT1634 isn't even an opamp, so my comment was a thinly veiled effort to tell you that perhaps if you don't even know what you're looking at that attempting to roll opamps without being aware of the consequences could be a bad plan. See, I was trying help.

You may now resume your regularly scheduled PM'ing of a moderator although it's likely they'll find your conduct a lot more worthy of moderation than mine.

Apr 16, 2008 at 9:02 PM Post #14 of 23
"Where did I call you cheap, a thief or otherwise?"

Where did I say you did ???

"I'm not going to quote your reply above since I suspect you'd probably like to edit out some of what you said."

Edit out some of what I said ??? I don't think so.

"And here's a big hint, don't want to be treated like a kid don't act like one. Telling folks to "go away and leave me alone" isn't exactly a mature reaction."

Yeah and when I want you opinion of my behavior I will ask for it.

"Finally, the LT1634 isn't even an opamp, so my comment was a thinly veiled effort to tell you that perhaps if you don't even know what you're looking at that attempting to roll opamps without being aware of the consequences could be a bad plan. See, I was trying help."

And how just exactly does this help me ??? The 1634 is not even a opamp ??? Thanks for nothing...And of course you have to throw in your defense of what you said without giving me any useful information...Like what a 1634 is and why I might consider it.

"attempting to roll opamps without being aware of the consequences could be a bad plan"

Seem's to me that rolling out the opamps on the Auditrak Prodigy HD is a good idea...OH...I got ya...Consequences...Another thinly veiled jab.

If you sir do not like to have people in spazzz mode why dont you read the entire thread and get a clue as to why I might me on the rev limiter.

Like I said...PLEASE...Just let this thread die...I know now what BigCat is talking about.

Some people just dont get it...And if you came down off your high horse for one second and read your post you might understand something besides your judgement.

PLEASE LET THIS THREAD DIE...PLEASE !!!!!!

Apr 16, 2008 at 10:42 PM Post #15 of 23
With replies like yours how could I possibly let it die? That said trying to offer you advice is as fun as punching myself in the nuts, which I'm not all that inclined to do, so best of luck with your project. Next time you ask for help expect advice, if you can't handle advice you might want to rethink your approach.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back