[help] Locating stores and equipment
Feb 26, 2005 at 11:46 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 6

dewy

New Head-Fier
Hi, I have decided i'd like to have a go at some DIY jobs but I live in Australia and am finding it hard tolocate equipment need for cables, I was to make a mini-mini for my headphone amp (see below) and a rca-mini (They always seem to come in handy. Also, I am new to the diy scene, and even newer to the audio scene, What I am after is a rather cheap but descent beginners amp to make but I don't know where to start, can you buy premade pcbs? or can you use the Pegboard like pcb you can get at DSE/Jaycar that has the strips (if so how do you use them). I have minimal soldering/general electronics skills. Not sure if any aussies are members here but it is worth a try
eggosmile.gif

Feb 26, 2005 at 11:54 AM Post #2 of 6
for connectors and cable. go to your local music/pa store and you'll be able to find all you want
smily_headphones1.gif

pcb's i order from the states, but DSE does have the perfboard to build the cmoy.

parts, hardware, consumables, etc: altronics, jaycar, RS, farnell.

between those four, there isn't a huge deal that you can't get your hands on. its moreso the boutique stuff thats a bit harder to track down. i love RS and altronics though, my two main sources
smily_headphones1.gif

Feb 26, 2005 at 12:17 PM Post #3 of 6
Quote:

Originally Posted by skyskraper
for connectors and cable. go to your local music/pa store and you'll be able to find all you want
smily_headphones1.gif

pcb's i order from the states, but DSE does have the perfboard to build the cmoy.

parts, hardware, consumables, etc: altronics, jaycar, RS, farnell.

between those four, there isn't a huge deal that you can't get your hands on. its moreso the boutique stuff thats a bit harder to track down. i love RS and altronics though, my two main sources
smily_headphones1.gif

Thanks

Feb 27, 2005 at 2:24 AM Post #5 of 6
Skyscraper: do altronics, RS, farnell have a great deal of the required compnents? The only store you listed I am familiar with is Jaycar.
Are the cmoys descent bigginers amps? I have a sheet of perfboard here, can you post a link to a tutorial on making one?

awpagen: thanks, I will check them out too

also, the boards you get from the us, can you list some vendors orders by most reliable etc?
600smile.gif

Feb 27, 2005 at 5:26 AM Post #6 of 6
wes are great but a pita to deal with. you have to order the catalog then call them up when you find something you want from them and talk on the phone. then schedule a bank depiosit, etc etc. about the only thing i use wes for is semi conductors, they have a massive range.

for connectors, cable, other parts, i look elsewhere and theyre usually cheaper.

www.altronics.com.au www.rsaustralia.com au.farnell.com

for a cmoy, you can get everything at either of the three and jaycar. RS and farnell have a simply astounding range of components, they do a much better job when you are looking for higher quality/performance stuff.

www.tangentsoft.net has the link to building a cmoy on the DSE perfboard, and headwize.com has the general cmoy info in its library.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back