[Help] Little Dot DAC_I + Amp or Little Dot DAC_ll
Dec 29, 2010 at 4:51 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 6

Nerox

New Head-Fier

Hi everyone

The audiophile world is brand new for me. So I don't have much knowledge in it. I've just bought a Sennheiser HD650 because It seems to be a good reference and a good base to begin. But I don't even have a decent amplifier ( I just have an old Sony tuner/amplifier ..). So all advice would be much appreciated

I mostly listen to music(lossless/mp3 320) on my laptop , using foobar with some vst effect (bbe)

My first question is :

What's the best choice between  a Little Dot DAC_I + Amp(I was thinking about the LD ll++)  and a Little Dot  DAC_ll (which has a built-in transistor in it) . Is an tube amplifier add much things ( "warmer sound" ...) ? Or should i buy the LD DAC ll instead.

In fact i don't see much feedback about the LD DAC ll.. Perhaps I did'nt search well :/

My secon question is:  Is the E5 can well-amplify the Cowon S9 for using it with the HD650? Or should i search another portable amplifier ?

Thanks in advance :)

Dec 30, 2010 at 10:46 AM Post #2 of 6
:frowning2:... Nobody replied

Dec 31, 2010 at 9:44 AM Post #4 of 6
I think the DAC_I + amp is a better long term solution as it has balanced outputs as well as single ended.
Because of this you can connect two analogue devices to the DAC_I while the DAC_II only has one single-ended output, so it can only be hooked up to one analogue device at the time.
Also, the amp built in to the DAC_II is basically a modified portable amp, so it is rather weak.

Sound wise the DAC_I and DAC_II should be identical, but a real dedicated amp will easily outperform the integrated amp in the DAC_II.

Edit: By the way, the DAC_I/II will most likely last you a long time, it sounds really great and will scale well with future upgrades, my LD mkV doesn't show it's full potential.

Jan 1, 2011 at 7:30 AM Post #5 of 6
Thank you very much for you're reply ! This helped a lot

I'll buy an second-hand DAC l with 797BR oamp  ( apparently it add much (spacilization/bass) and sound really better (the seller said than it cost 20€/pc. The DAC have  a pair of 797BR.)  from a french guy :) for 220€ .. and perhaps a Little dot tube amp when I'll earn money from holiday job ! =)

Happy Holidays , if you have some :) ! Happy new year... etc

I'm really looking forward to hear the LD DAC l :) !

Users who are viewing this thread

Back