Help!L3000 VS K1000 VS PS-1 questions.
Aug 2, 2006 at 6:44 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 15

tyloh73

100+ Head-Fier
I have k1000 and ps-1 right now and I am still not totally happy.i love soundstage/imaging/high/quality of bass of k1000.although the mid is nice,it's not as involving as i want it to be.on the other hand,ps-1 has the MOST liquid mid i have ever heard,the female vocal is to die for.....it's hard not to fall in love with that kind of midrange.but the bass is not as tight and hard hitting as my k1000(after EQ),whenever i put ps-1 on my head,i keep thinking about k1000 soundstage/imaging.although ps-1 has crazy amount of bass.it's bass is not as high quality,Fast/impactful/airy/tight as k1000.if you have "sister drum xrcd2",listen to it on k1000 and you will know what i am talking about.it's like you could feel the stick is hitting hard on the drum,you can feel the drum vibrate,and the air around the drum!but again,k1000 sound so clean that sometimes you will feel it's too clean.

So what i am looking for now....is headphone that has wide/deep soundstage,tight bass with quality that i just describe,with involving mid just like ps-1,will l3000 fit the bill?or what other cans that you think will satisfy me?

not gs1000 though,i had a pair with black dragon cable from moon audio,though it's not bad,i feel it's not up there with k1000 and ps-1,it's not as opened as k1000,high is not as clear and grain-free as k1000,imaging is not as accurate as k1000.mid is nice but again,nothing special compare to the liquid mid on ps-1,and ps-1 has more bass too.

thanx in advance and pardon my english,english is not my first language.

smily_headphones1.gif

Aug 2, 2006 at 6:52 AM Post #2 of 15
I don't have much to offer you in regards to the l3000 as i have never heard it. However, i agree with your assertions about the k1000 and ps1 and i feel you summed up their general sound traits very well, and your english is just fine and very easily understandable.

The only thing I can think of is a better amp match for the k1000's. Users that report that the bass is too lean or the mids are not as involving usually are underpowering them. What amp are you using to drive the k1000's? Keep in mind however that the k1000's bass is a bit leaner than most other dynamics like the ps1, however its quality is really quite nice, tight, snappy, with lots of impact. also keep in mind that the k1000 naturally has a "zippy" sort of sound, because its just so darn fast that its articulation might be a bit much for listeners. However, i dont think that is the case for you because you seem genuinely happy with the k1000's minus a few issues. Maybe a tube amp could help ameliorate some of those issues, would bring the mids a bit forward, tame the top end and fill out some of the bass region as well.

What pads are you using with the ps1's? the stock bowls, or flats? i can only listen to ps1's with bowls. I find its bass very tight and snappy with great quantity but quality as well, however its a bit different from k1000 bass.

Hopefully i've helped somewhat

Aug 2, 2006 at 7:11 AM Post #3 of 15
Recstar24,

I have tried t-amp/super T/octopus amp.because of my job,i have to travel alot,so i could only use a small/transportable amp,i will be receiving flying mole ca-s3 digital amp soon and i will see how well it works with my k1000.
the octopus amp i tried is really nice too,smooth is the first thing i noticed with this amp(compare to t-amp),but it's still on leaner side and it doesn't have enough power,so it goes back to michael last week(sorry michael!).

I have tried both stock bowl and flat on ps-1,i prefer bowl too.bass is bloated on flat.i just can't stand it!

thanx for the reply
smily_headphones1.gif

Aug 2, 2006 at 3:40 PM Post #4 of 15
I think your expectations are too high. There is no perfect headphone. You may want to switch to speakers and pay $$$$$ for it.

The best headphone I've heard was the K-1000, The GS-1000 midrange comes close enough to the RS-1 (which is my favorite midrange) that there is not much if any loss of quality. The bass is very good (anymore would be too much for me - I guess the PS-1 is out). But you are expecting too much unless you want to maybe fork out for the HE-90.

Good luck!

Oh, I've never heard the L3000, but everyone talks about it like it's the perfect headphone - you might want to try it as well.

My Von Schweikert VR4jr speakers do all the things you mention, but no headphone I've heard can.

Aug 3, 2006 at 1:44 AM Post #7 of 15
What are you using to drive the k1000s? If you're using a power amp try getting a tube preamp with some warmer tubes
biggrin.gif
This may also work if you're using a solid state amp voiced on the brighter side of neutral.

Aug 3, 2006 at 2:28 AM Post #8 of 15
Although my impressions of the L3000 are limited, I would not consider it a compromise between the PS-1/K1000, but rather a beast all of its own. Personally, I find the midrange of the L3000 somewhat artificial and disconnected from the rest of the presentation.

I would look into a good $5000 speaker system if you want more of what the K1000 offers...or perhaps attend a meet to sample sources/amps. I really don't think there is as much to build on with the PS1...it's always going to have that limited soundstage and PHAT, overemphasized bass.

-Matt

Aug 3, 2006 at 3:27 AM Post #10 of 15
Quote:

Originally Posted by tyloh73
i love soundstage/imaging/high/quality of bass of k1000

I find L3k soundstaging to be narrower, but somewhat more easily driven 3d imaging, bass isn't as tight as K 1000. L3k like the PS-1 has big bass. Not sloppy or anything, but big.

Quote:

.although the mid is nice,it's not as involving as i want it to be.on the other hand,ps-1 has the MOST liquid mid i have ever heard,the female vocal is to die for.....

I like L3k mids. I don't think it's nearly as liquid as PS-1, but I find them effortless.

Quote:

whenever i put ps-1 on my head,i keep thinking about k1000 soundstage/imaging.

Again, L3k for me is strong in imaging, and has a nice soundstaging to it, but it's no K1000 for width of soundstage. They're both good, but different. Both special, though K 1000 with the right amp can probably do better than L3k with the right amp. This tho to me is apples and oranges a bit.

Quote:

although ps-1 has crazy amount of bass.it's bass is not as high quality,Fast/impactful/airy/tight as k1000.if you have "sister drum xrcd2",listen to it on k1000 and you will know what i am talking about.it's like you could feel the stick is hitting hard on the drum,you can feel the drum vibrate,and the air around the drum!but again,k1000 sound so clean that sometimes you will feel it's too clean.

L3k is closer to Ps-1 than K 1000 for bass.

Quote:

So what i am looking for now....is headphone that has wide/deep soundstage,tight bass with quality that i just describe,with involving mid just like ps-1,will l3000 fit the bill?or what other cans that you think will satisfy me?

Probably doesn't exist, but I think you might be a L3000 candidate. It is a different beast, as mentioned, and it is a special can. I wouldn't say its between the K 1000 and PS-1, but who knows, it might hit the right buttons for you. I think it'd be worth your time to try it.

Quote:

not gs1000 though,i had a pair with black dragon cable from moon audio,though it's not bad,i feel it's not up there with k1000 and ps-1,it's not as opened as k1000,high is not as clear and grain-free as k1000,imaging is not as accurate as k1000.mid is nice but again,nothing special compare to the liquid mid on ps-1,and ps-1 has more bass too.

Oh, this part makes me think you're looking for something that can't be done though. GS1000 was another idea of something that might satisfy you. But I guess not. So maybe L3k won't be enough.

Good luck. You might be best off trying to max out your K 1000 with the right amp as others have suggested.

Bset,

-Jason

Aug 3, 2006 at 5:30 AM Post #12 of 15
thanx everyone for help,i will wait for l3000 to show up in for sale forum while try different amps with my k1000.

BTW,i already have a nice speaker rig at home,JM reynaud trentes+plinius 9200+wavelength brick,but like i said,i have to travel alot because of my job,i hardly have time to stay home and listen to my speaker rig,this is the reason i was sucked into this headphone hobby thingy.
smily_headphones1.gif

Aug 3, 2006 at 3:34 PM Post #13 of 15
Quote:

thanx everyone for help,i will wait for l3000 to show up in for sale forum while try different amps with my k1000.

BTW,i already have a nice speaker rig at home,JM reynaud trentes+plinius 9200+wavelength brick,but like i said,i have to travel alot because of my job,i hardly have time to stay home and listen to my speaker rig,this is the reason i was sucked into this headphone hobby thingy.
smily_headphones1.gif

Why tote around a full sized headphone setup when you travel if you could get a pair of custom IEMs instead. Or...why not bring both a full sized set up AND a set of killer IEMS....
evil_smiley.gif

Aug 4, 2006 at 4:53 PM Post #14 of 15
Quote:

smily_headphones1.gif

I have a similar story. It took me about 10 years to put together a speaker system that I like. And although I've always had headphones, my main rig was what I listened to most.

After getting more into headphones, I've realized that I won't find that same holy grail, so there is no choice but to get more than one. You "maybe" should have kept your PS-1 for the liquid midrange and K-1000 for soundstage and had 2 phones that gave you everything.?
confused.gif
I hope the L3000 works for you.

Aug 4, 2006 at 5:19 PM Post #15 of 15
Quote:

not gs1000 though,i had a pair with black dragon cable from moon audio,though it's not bad..

smily_headphones1.gif

Hi there!
Am curious, because I was one of the first to order/receive a Black Dragon pair from preorder, and I received mine 7/11 --you say you had the BDGS1 from Drew..but these just started shipping a few weeks ago with the BD cable?? What amp and source were you running out of (sorry your profile does not include this info)

Seems strange, as they just started becoming available and shipping??

John Grado himself has not heard the BDGS1 yet, per a phone conversation with him a few weeks back.
Interesting..what you say, how long have you had yours? What did you do with your pair, do you still have them?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back