HELP!! Is Windows corrupting my FLAC files?
Jun 17, 2018 at 9:19 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 5

shortwavelistener

New Head-Fier
Hello guys! Fred here. Sorry but i have to ask some help from you guys! It is about my ultra rare vinyl-rip copy of Pink Floyd's Dark Side of the Moon which i downloaded from a vinyl collectors' site recently. The downloaded copy was in FLAC format, in 24/96. And i literally used my Sony phone for the downloading process.

The files were all in perfect condition when it was in phone (all were 2.6 Mbps in bitrate, one file is around ~100 MB)

However when i was copying them to my PC all it does was reducing the bitrate to ~700 kbps and file sizes to a very small size (~30 MB). And most of the files were indeed corrupted when i was playing them. One of them had stopped playing when i was playing them half-way both in WinAmp and Foobar2000. WinAmp would abruptly stop when it was playing half way while Foobar2000 showed an error message saying it was corrupted.

And i did check one of the files in Spek and lo and behold, the spectrum only showed nearly half-way of the full recording, which suggests that it was indeed corrupted.

So guys, can you suggest me a solution on how to solve this annoying problem, perhaps find a way for me to transfer the files in good condition?

Any help would be fully appreciated!

~Fred

Attachments

• DSC_0006.JPG
    DSC_0006.JPG
    1.7 MB · Views: 0
  • DSC_0003.JPG
    DSC_0003.JPG
    2.5 MB · Views: 0
  • DSC_0001.JPG
    DSC_0001.JPG
    2.1 MB · Views: 0
Jun 18, 2018 at 6:15 AM Post #2 of 5
Sounds like you copied them to your PC using something other than a straight file explorer process. If you used some sort of media player or other software to copy to your PC, it's probably automatically compressing them to another format to save space.

Try attaching your phone to your PC as a USB drive. Then use the Windows file explorer to find the files on your phone, then copy/paste them over to a local folder on your PC. If the files still exist uncorrupted on your phone, then it shouldn't be an issue. Otherwise, your phone did not really download them in native format and some sort of compression was already applied by your phone.

Again, try not to use any sort of music software/media player to perform file transfers, either to the phone or to your PC.

P.S. If my assumptions are incorrect, then I'm sorry - can't tell you what happened. :)

Except ... a corrupted file can often read as correct, but then you find out through copying/using that it really isn't. It's sort of the definition of "corruption." It's possible your original download was corrupted and your phone just didn't show it until you actually tried to do something with the file(s).

Last edited:
Jun 18, 2018 at 10:21 AM Post #3 of 5
Sounds like you copied them to your PC using something other than a straight file explorer process. If you used some sort of media player or other software to copy to your PC, it's probably automatically compressing them to another format to save space.

Try attaching your phone to your PC as a USB drive. Then use the Windows file explorer to find the files on your phone, then copy/paste them over to a local folder on your PC. If the files still exist uncorrupted on your phone, then it shouldn't be an issue. Otherwise, your phone did not really download them in native format and some sort of compression was already applied by your phone.

Again, try not to use any sort of music software/media player to perform file transfers, either to the phone or to your PC.

P.S. If my assumptions are incorrect, then I'm sorry - can't tell you what happened. :)

Except ... a corrupted file can often read as correct, but then you find out through copying/using that it really isn't. It's sort of the definition of "corruption." It's possible your original download was corrupted and your phone just didn't show it until you actually tried to do something with the file(s).

These pics will help describe the problem

DlWC4Uk.jpg
KkOlZLh.jpg
8Aka1g4.jpg

Attachments

• DSC_0006.JPG
    DSC_0006.JPG
    1.7 MB · Views: 0
  • DSC_0003.JPG
    DSC_0003.JPG
    2.5 MB · Views: 0
  • DSC_0001.JPG
    DSC_0001.JPG
    2.1 MB · Views: 0
Last edited:
Jun 19, 2018 at 2:06 PM Post #4 of 5
Assuming transferring it via USB didn't work, why not try transferring it through wifi or a online storage site (ie. Dropbox)?

Jul 2, 2018 at 10:18 AM Post #5 of 5
Assuming transferring it via USB didn't work, why not try transferring it through wifi or a online storage site (ie. Dropbox)?

Yes. I managed to try that and it did finally work. I also tried copying a Phil Collins discography (this time it's a SACD rip) file from my Sony smartphone to my PC and turns out it successfully transferred the file. I honestly don't know why it worked out when i did another file transfer for the second time. :dt880smile:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back