HELP! iPod Upgrade Question!
Mar 3, 2006 at 2:16 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 5

GlendaleViper

Yep, words.
Hey folks,

I hope someone takes a look at this before I blow too much money. I'm trying to get a modest portable rig going for whenever my k701s decide to show up. At this point, I've decided I can afford a cmoy amp and a line out adaptor (send station) for my ipod... MAY be able to afford a modded cardas line out.

My issue is this: It was my understanding that if using the iPod's lower connection as an output, I lose the ability to adjust the volume - witnessed when a Monster FM transmitter was attached. I wanted to avoid buying a cmoy amp with a volume control to keep it as clean sounding as possible. But if I can't control volume at the amp nor the iPod... well you see where I'm going.

What do you think? Should I buy an amp with volume control, or go without and compromise by using the headphone jack? Or am I completely misinformed about line-level volume control? I would appreciate any input!

Mar 3, 2006 at 5:40 AM Post #4 of 5

socrates63

Headphoneus Supremus
In the cmoy price range, or close to it, the Pocket Amp v2 is most often recommended. I suggest you take a look at it before putting down your money on a cmoy.

If you get a TurboDock from Head-Fi'er Turbo, you can save some money. The money you save, probably $10-15, can be put towards buying the PAv2.

Mar 3, 2006 at 6:52 PM Post #5 of 5

GlendaleViper

Yep, words.
Wow - great advice with the Pocket Amp 2. Good price, looks like it's built in Canada too!

Does anyone have any experience with this amp? I'm going for as neutral a sound as possible - really just trying to drive the K701s (allegedly a very neutral can) from my iPod better.

Not to get too off topic, but the irony is I am really not an analytical listener at all, but want the music source to remain as pure as possible (within budget
evil_smiley.gif
) as I do love hearing the sound on both ends,the musical composition and instrumentation from the artist and the creative mastering and engineering of the... engineers.

Users who are viewing this thread