Help iPod Owners, My iTunes isn't working!
Feb 4, 2005 at 1:10 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 13

dominator

100+ Head-Fier
Well I just got an iPod yesterday, and it's awesome. I put a few of my albums on the iPod with 256 kbps AAC and hooked up my good headphones, and the sound quality is great. It certainly sounds better then the crappy discman I had before.

Anyway, to get to the point, my iPod works great, I can connect it to iTunes and transfer files and such, but, whenever I put in a CD to rip onto iTunes it really messes up. What I mean is, I'll insert the CD as normal, right? But all the track lengths are really messed up. For example, on the Beatles - 1 CD that I put in, all the tracks were over 30 minutes, and a couple of them were even 10 hours or more! I tried playing one of the tracks, and it had half the songs on the CD joined together. I tried a few CD's and I still have the problem.

Does anybody know what the heck is going on? If you do, I would really appreciate you sharing your info with me.

(If you're wondering, the CD's I got on my iPod already were ripped on a different computer before I purchased the iPod and transferred over the network to the computer I am using for the iPod. This is no longer possible for me to do since that computer stopped working.... but, that's sort of irrelevant.)

Feb 4, 2005 at 1:15 AM Post #2 of 13
It's iTunes, get used to it
etysmile.gif

Nah I'm kidding. I suggest ripping the tracks as WAVE files using another program, then convert them to AAC in iTunes. Should be fine

Feb 4, 2005 at 1:19 AM Post #3 of 13
Are these standard American CDs? Do they have any funky copy protection on them?

At any rate, you might want to make sure you have the latest firmware for your CD drive. Check at the drive manufacturer's web site. Also check at Apple's tech support site to see if there is a known issue involving your hardware.

I've seen something similar with one CD out of the 600 or so I've ripped so far. For some reason two tracks from the Black Eyed Peas' Elephunk got concatenated together. I never figured it out, and it's the only time I've experienced it.

Feb 4, 2005 at 1:26 AM Post #4 of 13
Quote:

Originally Posted by yyoo
Are these standard American CDs? Do they have any funky copy protection on them?

At any rate, you might want to make sure you have the latest firmware for your CD drive. Check at the drive manufacturer's web site. Also check at Apple's tech support site to see if there is a known issue involving your hardware.

I've seen something similar with one CD out of the 600 or so I've ripped so far. For some reason two tracks from the Black Eyed Peas' Elephunk got concatenated together. I never figured it out, and it's the only time I've experienced it.

No, they are all just standard CD's that I got from HMV. Nothing special about them at all. They work fine everywhere else I've tried them, it's just my computer, which is..... I don't know, really messed up. It's not even like it's just a small problem like you had. All the tracks were at minimum 30 minutes long, with some of them up to 12 hours. Some of them were just tons of tracks joined together, some of them wouldn't even play.

I don't know, it's really weird.

Feb 4, 2005 at 1:43 AM Post #5 of 13
Try reinstalling iTunes and update Quicktime to the latest version. That should fix your problem. (I suspect a corrupted Quicktime is the problem.)

See ya
Steve

Feb 4, 2005 at 1:44 AM Post #6 of 13
Quote:

i got the same thing with elephunk - and they even renamed "let's get dumb" totally wrong - something like "summer picnic reprised" lol.

Feb 4, 2005 at 2:53 AM Post #7 of 13
Quote:

Originally Posted by bigshot
Try reinstalling iTunes and update Quicktime to the latest version. That should fix your problem. (I suspect a corrupted Quicktime is the problem.)

See ya
Steve

Quicktime?

Ok, I'll try that.

Just curious though, what does quicktime have to do with iTunes?
confused.gif

Feb 4, 2005 at 3:14 AM Post #8 of 13
iTunes uses quicktime to encode files. Just download another copy of iTunes and reload it. The latest version of quicktime is downloaded along with iTunes. Hopefully that'll work for you otherwise i'd say you have a ghost in your machine.

Feb 5, 2005 at 4:18 AM Post #9 of 13
Quote:

Originally Posted by BigFil
iTunes uses quicktime to encode files. Just download another copy of iTunes and reload it. The latest version of quicktime is downloaded along with iTunes. Hopefully that'll work for you otherwise i'd say you have a ghost in your machine.

Hmm, I re-installed the latest version of iTunes, and it still doesn't work. Also, I checked, and we have the latest Quicktime. It's very odd.

I guess for now I'll need to import the lossless route and then import to iTunes at 256 AAC.

Now, I have a question. If, say, I ripped my CD's using windows media player (which by the way works perfectly) on the windows media lossless setting, and then transferred this into iTunes at 256 kbps AAC, would it sound worse then if I had imported it at 256 AAC in the first place. or would it sound the same?

Feb 5, 2005 at 8:06 PM Post #10 of 13
Quote:

Originally Posted by dominator
Hmm, I re-installed the latest version of iTunes, and it still doesn't work. Also, I checked, and we have the latest Quicktime. It's very odd.

Have you tried getting the latest drivers for your CD drive?

Feb 5, 2005 at 8:40 PM Post #11 of 13
Quote:

Have you tried getting the latest drivers for your CD drive?

No, but when I ripped it using Windows Media it worked absolutely perfect, so I doubt that is the problem.

However, I will check anyway.

Also, will the WMA lossless files that I am ripping now sound just as good when I rip them to AAC as they would if I just ripped it straight from the CD to AAC?

Feb 5, 2005 at 9:52 PM Post #12 of 13
There's no sound loss in lossless, but if you are planning to use iTunes to convert to AAC, you won't be able to use Windows Media format. You will have to rip to a cross platform format like WAV or AIFF.

See ya
Steve

Feb 5, 2005 at 10:37 PM Post #13 of 13
Quote:

Originally Posted by bigshot
There's no sound loss in lossless, but if you are planning to use iTunes to convert to AAC, you won't be able to use Windows Media format. You will have to rip to a cross platform format like WAV or AIFF.

See ya
Steve

Oh, I can't use WMA?

I thought iTunes had the new feature where it took windows media files and turned them into AAC files... or is that just for normal WMA. not lossless?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back