Help & Information Wanted. Balanced vs. Unbalanced Setups & Possible Upgrade
Apr 11, 2015 at 4:51 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 4

NinjaMilez

New Head-Fier
If I use a 4-pin XLR cable with HD 700 headphones with a Schiit Gungnir would it be a fully balanced setup?

Also...

What sort of difference should I expect if I upgrade my current setup, consisting of a a pair of HD 700 headphones and a Schiit Asgard II/Bifrost combo, to a Schiit Mjolnir/Gungnir combo? Does a balanced setup make a significant enough difference? I've read a lot of contradicting facts and opinions.

Lastly...

Is the pre-out level on the Mjolnir controllable via the front volume control or would I need something like a TC Electronics Level Pilot? I would like to connect a set of powered monitors to the Mjolnir's XLR pre-out section.

Thanks,
Miles.

Apr 11, 2015 at 5:28 PM Post #2 of 4
  If I use a 4-pin XLR cable with HD 700 headphones with a Schiit Gungnir would it be a fully balanced setup?

Also...

What sort of difference should I expect if I upgrade my current setup, consisting of a a pair of HD 700 headphones and a Schiit Asgard II/Bifrost combo, to a Schiit Mjolnir/Gungnir combo? Does a balanced setup make a significant enough difference? I've read a lot of contradicting facts and opinions.

Lastly...

Is the pre-out level on the Mjolnir controllable via the front volume control or would I need something like a TC Electronics Level Pilot? I would like to connect a set of powered monitors to the Mjolnir's XLR pre-out section.

Thanks,
Miles.

Just for the sake of argument I'm going to say the Mojo / Gun combo isn't going to make an appreciable difference over the Asgard / Bifrost. 

That said, I'm getting a pair of HD800s this month, and a Mojo next month, so I'd love to be proven wrong.

Apr 11, 2015 at 7:15 PM Post #3 of 4

Also...

>I have a Mjolnir and the main difference I hear, in most cases with balanced vs single-ended, is an increased sense of dynamics.  I don't have a Schiit dac as I'm not a big fan of their dacs.  Love their headphone amps though.  Not really sure what you might hear given that dac/amp combo vs  what you have now.
Lastly...

> Yes, it controls the volume of the pre-out.

Thanks,
Miles

Good luck

Users who are viewing this thread

Back