Help in finding headphones under $250
Jun 29, 2015 at 8:13 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 7

Regia

New Head-Fier
Hi,
For over a year (I'm extremely picky) I've been scouring the internet trying to find the perfect headphones for me. Apart from demo's I've never really used any decent headphones so that may or may not justify the time it's taking me to decide.
I have a budget of around $200-$250 (preferably under $200 but I can go a bit higher if it's worth it).
I would prefer closed headphones as I will be using these in the car sometimes and maybe on the plane once or twice a year. They will mostly be used at home though. This also means I need semi-portable headphones.
I do have a home Denon amp but I probably won't use that so I don't (at the moment) have any thing to power them
I listen to EDM but I listen to a lot of types of EDM with different sorts of sounds (All types of drum'n'bass, dubstep, electro swing, pretty much all types of house, ambient, glitch hop and many other sub-genres)
I will also need a relatively flat frequency as I also produce music and I need to mix and master but some colouring won't be a deal breaker
Comfort is also very important

I've gone to and fro many headphones like the Beyerdynamics DT770, Phillips Fidelio L1, Audiotechnica ATH-M50x, Sennheiser Momentums, Soundmagic HP100s, Audiotechnica ATH-MSR7 , AKG K5xx, Sennheiser 5xx  and lots others. Right now I'm thinking of settling on the Sony MDR1R/MDR1A but I'm not sure.

TL;DR - I need a comfortable, easy to power, closed, portable(ish), relatively uncoloured pair of headphones under $250 dollars.

Thanks in advance!

Jul 3, 2015 at 8:01 AM Post #3 of 7
Thanks for the link. Right now I'm thinking of choosing between the Beyerdynamics DT770 and the  AKG 550/551. If you can, can you say which one of these would you prefer or what you think would be better?

Jul 3, 2015 at 10:13 PM Post #7 of 7
I have the HP150s and like them very much. They are closer to a neutral class of headphone, but with a bit of treble emphasis and some good sub bass emphasis. Note the bass emphasis is in the sub bass, not across the midbass, like with many headphones. So it will kick in on electronic music that has deep bass.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back