Help: In ear phones (I think) for massage chair for wife!
Nov 3, 2020 at 11:36 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 5

phcjpp

New Head-Fier
Hi Everyone - bit of a random one here. My current setup is a Questyle 'gold stack' + Audeze LCD-4 + Aurender N10 which I like a lot!
1.jpg

2.jpg

So far so good - the challenge is that my wife likes to listen in the massage chair next to the amps.

3.jpg

and the massage chair pushes the LCD-4's off her head when the chair goes flat.

So I am thinking about some balanced in ears (or other ideas you might have) that will not fall off / out when she relaxes. She primarily listens to classical (violin / cello).

Any and all ideas very welcome - price is not the overriding limitation - cheap or expensive could work although I am assuming they really should be balanced.

Ta
Chris

Nov 4, 2020 at 12:34 AM Post #2 of 5
I use IEMs with massage chairs, I would recommend something bullet shape that is worn cable down. U can't really use over ear type IEMs as the massage chair may massage areas at the best of the neck/ears and snag the cable.

FWIW, I use a few bullet type IEMs with it:
1) Final Audio E3000 - non detachable cable 3.5 mm single ended. Single DD, about $40 - 50 USD. Good timbre, tonality, smooth and non fatiguing. It is a mild V shaped set. Needs amping though, quite power hungry. With amping, it has one of the best imaging and soundstages at sub $50 USD. Midbass is a bit slow and treble is a bit rolled off, so not the best option for trebleheads.

2) Acoustic Effect TRY-01 - this is a japanese niche brand, non detachable 3.5 mm single ended, single BA. I think it is $150 USD, neutralish. Very good timbre for a pure BA set, smooth and coherent, very good details, imaging and instrument separation. Good for vocals. It has a lack of subbass though, due to the single BA limitation. Quite good isolation for a bullet type shell.

3) BLON BL-03 - this is a single DD set with detachable cables. $23 USD. It is meant to be worn cable over ear (stock cable has earhooks and is angled), but I used an aftermarket cable, swapped earpieces and wear it cable down, like a earbud. It has very good tonality and timbre for the price, harmanish with a midbass bump. It is slow and has a midbass bump/bloat, but is good for genres with acoustic instruments. Smooth and analoguish. Technicalities not the best. Do note a lot of people complain about the fit as it has too short nozzles, so most folks have to use a spacer mod or use aftermarket longer nozzle eartips eg spinfit CP100/145 to get a fit.

These 3 sets have good timbre, so they should suit classical genres IMO. I have read good things about the Final Audio E1000 and E2000 for classical as they are more neutral, but don't have them.

There's other stuff I do use too on the massage chair like earbuds, they are not IEMs, so they don't seal the ear canal and have zero isolation, but they make it up by having better soundstages than IEMs.

Last edited:
Nov 4, 2020 at 1:22 AM Post #3 of 5
I'd consider looking at the NM2+ or LZ-A7.

Iirc @tgx78 listens to a lot of classical and has heard both.

I think ear hook cables would be ok, as long as a chin cinch is used and/or perhaps a shirt clip? To keep the cables from falling back and getting caught in any massage functions.

Last edited:
Nov 4, 2020 at 3:51 AM Post #4 of 5
I use IEMs with massage chairs, I would recommend something bullet shape that is worn cable down. U can't really use over ear type IEMs as the massage chair may massage areas at the best of the neck/ears and snag the cable.

FWIW, I use a few bullet type IEMs with it:
1) Final Audio E3000 - non detachable cable 3.5 mm single ended. Single DD, about $40 - 50 USD. Good timbre, tonality, smooth and non fatiguing. It is a mild V shaped set. Needs amping though, quite power hungry. With amping, it has one of the best imaging and soundstages at sub $50 USD. Midbass is a bit slow and treble is a bit rolled off, so not the best option for trebleheads.

2) Acoustic Effect TRY-01 - this is a japanese niche brand, non detachable 3.5 mm single ended, single BA. I think it is $150 USD, neutralish. Very good timbre for a pure BA set, smooth and coherent, very good details, imaging and instrument separation. Good for vocals. It has a lack of subbass though, due to the single BA limitation. Quite good isolation for a bullet type shell.

3) BLON BL-03 - this is a single DD set with detachable cables. $23 USD. It is meant to be worn cable over ear (stock cable has earhooks and is angled), but I used an aftermarket cable, swapped earpieces and wear it cable down, like a earbud. It has very good tonality and timbre for the price, harmanish with a midbass bump. It is slow and has a midbass bump/bloat, but is good for genres with acoustic instruments. Smooth and analoguish. Technicalities not the best. Do note a lot of people complain about the fit as it has too short nozzles, so most folks have to use a spacer mod or use aftermarket longer nozzle eartips eg spinfit CP100/145 to get a fit.

These 3 sets have good timbre, so they should suit classical genres IMO. I have read good things about the Final Audio E1000 and E2000 for classical as they are more neutral, but don't have them.

There's other stuff I do use too on the massage chair like earbuds, they are not IEMs, so they don't seal the ear canal and have zero isolation, but they make it up by having better soundstages than IEMs.

Wow - thank you so much for the response - you can probably guess I have a lot of researching now to do to check out each suggestion. I think I also need to check if my amps will output anything other than a mono signal in their current configuration - I think they won't unfortunately as both are acting in mono-bloc mode so I will need some way to recombine to stereo for an IEM. I could perhap take a second feed off the pre-amp and use a separate amp for the IEMs - maybe some merit there.

Nov 4, 2020 at 3:57 AM Post #5 of 5
I'd consider looking at the NM2+ or LZ-A7.

Iirc @tgx78 listens to a lot of classical and has heard both.

I think ear hook cables would be ok, as long as a chin cinch is used and/or perhaps a shirt clip? To keep the cables from falling back and getting caught in any massage functions.
Thanks also for the great suggestions and detail around clips - had not thought about that but very valid observations!

Chris

Users who are viewing this thread

Back