[Help: IN-EAR] NYC Train Riding Beatmaker
Jan 13, 2009 at 2:32 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 18

Primus_Boom

New Head-Fier
Whats up Head-Fi!
I know you dudes know your headphones and was wondering if you can help...

I'm looking for a nice pair of in-ear headphones that will come to around $200.

I make downtempo music with lots of bass and crispy mids so I wouldn't mind something that would give me a non-biased response if i'm working on a track or just sound clean while cruising on the good ol metro.

Jan 13, 2009 at 3:07 AM Post #2 of 18
can't really comment on lots of bass and crispy mids, etc. but i have to say that my UE SuperFi3s are unbeatable at isolating me from the rest of the subway, no matter how noisy when i get a proper seal on them. nyc is no match for them imo.

Jan 13, 2009 at 3:43 AM Post #3 of 18
Quote:

Originally Posted by midget /img/forum/go_quote.gif
can't really comment on lots of bass and crispy mids, etc. but i have to say that my UE SuperFi3s are unbeatable at isolating me from the rest of the subway, no matter how noisy when i get a proper seal on them. nyc is no match for them imo.

Cool, I think my friend has those. I'll check them out.
As long as they are comfortable for lengthy periods and provide clean sound, I am down!

Jan 13, 2009 at 8:49 AM Post #4 of 18
I'd say that UE super.fi 3 actually don't have any real bass response. Don't use them for making music or even try to use them for mixing.

Jonas

Jan 14, 2009 at 5:23 PM Post #5 of 18
Quote:

Originally Posted by Jo-Vo /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I'd say that UE super.fi 3 actually don't have any real bass response. Don't use them for making music or even try to use them for mixing.

Jonas

Which would you recommend?

Jan 14, 2009 at 11:50 PM Post #6 of 18
Klipsch Image X10
Look around for the various reviews on it
It is a warmish phone with good isolation and comfort.

While the SF3 has decent isolation, it is not unbeatable. Good but beatable (and beaten)

Jan 16, 2009 at 8:53 PM Post #10 of 18
If it helps, my Shure SE500's seem to isolate a lot more for me than my UltimateEars Super.Fi 5 Pros on the MTA. I been using the 'olives' tips.

Out of curiosity Primus_Boom, are you using Beatmaker for iPhone for your mobile production (hence your thread title)? If not, what are you using?

Jan 16, 2009 at 11:55 PM Post #11 of 18
I got to say for your needs maybe Ety Er4 (Studio quality monitor) which has the best isolation out of all IEM's due to the fact they go deep into your ear or Klipsch Image (Has more bass but still can be used as a studio monitor with the right EQ setting) which are the most comfortable IEM out there. Only UE right for you would be Triple.fi out of your price range, and Shure wouldn't make you happy with their sound signature.

I've used Klipsch IEM's before, in love with my Klipsch Custom 3's, the phones that when are off I miss them, on a LIRR trip out east all the way... you know what i mean... and it wasn't a problem, just heard my music at about 30 percent on my ipod at most and sounded great.

Jan 17, 2009 at 12:05 AM Post #12 of 18
image x10 or se530 (if u can find a deal ^ ^)

Jan 17, 2009 at 12:55 AM Post #13 of 18
Quote:

Originally Posted by Zhdude /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I got to say for your needs maybe Ety Er4 (Studio quality monitor) which has the best isolation out of all IEM's due to the fact they go deep into your ear or Klipsch Image (Has more bass but still can be used as a studio monitor with the right EQ setting) which are the most comfortable IEM out there. Only UE right for you would be Triple.fi out of your price range, and Shure wouldn't make you happy with their sound signature.

I've used Klipsch IEM's before, in love with my Klipsch Custom 3's, the phones that when are off I miss them, on a LIRR trip out east all the way... you know what i mean... and it wasn't a problem, just heard my music at about 30 percent on my ipod at most and sounded great.

Thats pretty useful advice, im looking more into these Klipsch's

Jan 17, 2009 at 1:08 AM Post #14 of 18
Quote:

Originally Posted by _j_ /img/forum/go_quote.gif
If it helps, my Shure SE500's seem to isolate a lot more for me than my UltimateEars Super.Fi 5 Pros on the MTA. I been using the 'olives' tips.

Out of curiosity Primus_Boom, are you using Beatmaker for iPhone for your mobile production (hence your thread title)? If not, what are you using?

I use a wide array of tools (except Beatmaker for the iPhone). For live recording I use Protools in the studio with a bunch of different mics. For actual beatmaking I have jumped from software to software just to get a gist of different interfaces and versatility. I am currently using FL Studio, it has almost everything I've seen in any other beatmaking environment yet in a very "work flow" manner.

I go by the name "Primus Maximus" and i have a site called "w w w.b o o m t o b a p.c o m" which I just started developing... hence the BOOM!

Do you make anything?

Jan 17, 2009 at 1:43 AM Post #15 of 18
I use Fl Studio on my laptop at home, just for fun, have used Protools, wish I can use it on my laptop, but its rediculously priced and you have to use the hardware too. Can't see your site too.

You might want to check out Westone 3 too, even if its out of your price range.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back