Help improving sound isolation in Koss TBSE1?
Nov 10, 2013 at 12:59 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 2

mimzee

New Head-Fier
I hope I'm in the right forum for this...apologies if not.

So I recently bought a pair of the Koss Tony Bennetts off Amazon after returning the V-Moda Crossfade LP, and I am, for the most part, enjoying them. The sound is right for my tastes, the earpads have broken in to be fairly comfortable, and I'm really happy with the foldable/DJ features (though the included detachable cord makes a lot of noise, one of the reasons I bought these headphones was the detachable cord, which I will probably swap out eventually). I've also discovered that round earphones are better than the oval ones for my particular ears. The band puts pressure on weird parts of my head, but I'm getting used to it.

However, the one thing I really really miss from the V-Modas is sound isolation. With the V-Modas, it was as if someone had stuffed earplugs into my ears and then layered cotton in the gaps around them. My Kosses don't isolate for crap - I thought because they were closed that it wouldn't be an issue, but obviously I was a mistaken newb. Maybe it's my ear shape/size, maybe it's the headphones themselves, but the reduction in outside audio level is no better than standing on the other side of a drywall wall with an open door between me and the sound. I've seen posts that suggest putting the M50 earpads on the Koss Pro DJ100s for comfort reasons, but would that improve the sound isolation as well? Sound leakage isn't a problem, but the fact that I can hear my roommates arguing through a closed door as if they were standing right next to me, even with my headphones on, is. I need significantly more sound isolation than these headphones offer. Additionally, I'm not sure if adding a foam ring or an M50 earpad would improve my particular comfort issue, which is not the tip of my ear, but the area where you would put a snug piercing - I'm not sure what it's called, but it protrudes a lot and presses/rubs against the baffle plate.

The more low-tech/easy the mod or suggestion is, the better. Can I fix this, or would I be better off returning these for a different headphone (in which case, do you have any suggestions)? Thanks in advance.

Nov 10, 2013 at 7:49 PM Post #2 of 2
Switch the pads over to the M50's you won't get earplug blockage but much better then stock plus you get a major sound upgrade as well.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back