Help, im not really good at choosing headphones..
Sep 7, 2013 at 2:39 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 5

danbartos

New Head-Fier
I know you audiophiles are good .. please, i need a help. could you please tell me how important is frequency.. is it big difference between 5hz-25khz and 10hz-25khz ? and what about 10hz-25khz and 10hz-30khz ?  and what about impedance.. ? whats  the maximum impedance you think i should have to have good quality if i want my headphones to plug in mobile phone (xperia sola) ? and what about decibels ... its only about how loud it can play or is there anything else about it ?  impedance, decibels and frequency = all of this affects how good Bass does the headphones has ? Thanks for every answer :)    if there are some mistakes.. im sorry, my english is not the best.

Sep 7, 2013 at 3:12 PM Post #2 of 5
I know you audiophiles are good .. please, i need a help. could you please tell me how important is frequency.. is it big difference between 5hz-25khz and 10hz-25khz ? and what about 10hz-25khz and 10hz-30khz ?

No. Don't worry about that because (a) manufacturers rate their specs different ways, so you can't compare different headphones that way and (b) music won't have content above 20hz and (c) unless you are into deep, low note classical organ music, you aren't going to need bass output below 20hz. In fact, most music won't have bass output below 30hz.

and what about impedance.. ? whats  the maximum impedance you think i should have to have good quality if i want my headphones to plug in mobile phone (xperia sola) ? and what about decibels

Definitely 80 ohms and under. 32 ohms is generally really good. Higher sensitivity headphones will play louder for the same amount amplifier power as lower sensitivity.

if there are some mistakes.. im sorry, my english is not the best.

No worries. No need to apologize. But try to separate different topics into paragraphs if you can. Makes it easier for people to read, quote, and reply to you :)

Sep 7, 2013 at 3:55 PM Post #5 of 5
how about if i listen to techno .. are you sure it wont need less than 30hz ? .. and higher than 25 khz its not important ?

I listen to a lot of EDM of various types. I was just listening to some older techno yesterday, such as earlier Tiesto. Even five or six years ago, the use of very low bass down around 30hz and below was very, very rare. Now some of the more recent stuff--particularly some dubstep--is starting to output below 30hz some. But it's still not common.

Plus, while around 30hz and below into the 20hz range is audible, to me it's more of the tactile sensation it creates that is important, and that you can't really get with headphones. So I have a good subwoofer with my desktop speaker system, and it's the feel of the very low bass that energizes EDM to me. Listening on headphones that do reach down that far just isn't the same at all.

Still, it's useful to get good headphones with decent extension down to 20hz if you are into bass. Headphones that roll off a lot (start decreasing in volume output) starting in the midbass frequency range will lose some good low bass emphasis and/or may have a lot of distorted bass at the extreme low end.

Higher than 20khz is not important. That's mosquito whine sound at best that only someone in their teens can hear anyway.

So instead of focusing on what kind of frequency range the manufacturers list, look at frequency response plots and learn to read them: http://www.innerfidelity.com/headphone-data-sheet-downloads

While the measured response is not always reliable exactly as far as how you would hear it, they can give you a general idea of how different headphones sound as far as whether or not the bass is heavily emphasized or rolled off. Or whether the treble is very heavy. So look at them as an overall curve that gives you a general idea. Not as a roadmap to compare headphones precisely.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back