Help! If you had £70?
Jan 23, 2009 at 9:11 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 13

astroid

1000+ Head-Fier
What IEM would you buy?
I have Custom 1 , EX75 and JVC Cushions at the moment , i like the Custom 1 best for the detail thay have at the top end and they are quite warm. The Sonys although less muddy than the old 71s are still a little too bassy but they are fun to listen to.
I am thinking of , Custom 2 , ER6I , Denons and maybe EX500s (cant find much on these), i thought about SE210 but i think SE310 are the best Shure starting point.
Any help greatly appreciated.

Jan 23, 2009 at 1:32 PM Post #2 of 13
Denons are also bassy. You may consider Audio Technica CK7 which has some sparkle-treble or S-Jays SiREN, which sound very good after a bit of EQing (very forward presentation, great for vocals). ...Hmm... also wouln't mind trying Sony EX500
smily_headphones1.gif

Jan 23, 2009 at 1:54 PM Post #3 of 13
I would say the Sennheiser CX300 IEM's

These are very good earphones and can be readily brought from Curry's for £34 (slightly over priced I know), alternately Amazon sell them on offer for £16 at the moment.

Very sensitive (112db) and good frequency range.
From reading various reviews the only complaint seems to be that the Bass is a bit emphasized.

But again this will depend upon your style of music.
Drum & Bass lovers will love these !
RD

Jan 23, 2009 at 2:01 PM Post #4 of 13
Quote:

Originally Posted by diddy1234 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I would say the Sennheiser CX300 IEM's

These are very good earphones and can be readily brought from Curry's for £34 (slightly over priced I know), alternately Amazon sell them on offer for £16 at the moment.

Very sensitive (112db) and good frequency range.
From reading various reviews the only complaint seems to be that the Bass is a bit emphasized.

But again this will depend upon your style of music.
Drum & Bass lovers will love these !
RD

I had a set of cx300s (not fake) and i didnt rate them, boomy bass and harsh treble is my main memory of them.

I have had several sets of earphones in the past and i have quite a few headphones (grado sr60, HD595 and KSC75) , i like the sr60s sig but i accept you will never get that with an iem.

Jan 23, 2009 at 8:23 PM Post #5 of 13
Getting a CX 300 will be downgrading. I believe the OP is looking to upgrade.

Custom 2 has more bass than the Custom 1 and I would recommend it if you can get it for around £60-70. I think they are fun too. The ER6i's bass may be a disappointment, though it does excel well across most genres. CX 95 (which falls under your budget) offers great and tight bass response at its price range and fixes all the problems the CX 300 had. Similar opinion on the Denon C551, but I personally found the CX 95 to be more comfortable of the two.

If you can wait a month of two, the Etymotic Hf5 seems to be worth considering. They retail for $150 in the US but costs £80 here.

Etymotic Research HF5 Portable iPhone and iPod In-ear: Amazon.co.uk: Electronics & Photo

Some reviews:

Review: Etymotic hf5 earphones | Geek.com

Etymotic hf5 (blue) Headphone reviews - CNET Reviews

Etymotic hf5 earphones reviews

Review: Etymotic Research hf2 Noise-Isolating Headset + Earphones | iLounge (Hf2, the microphone version of the Hf5)

Jan 23, 2009 at 10:44 PM Post #6 of 13
custom 2 then go to shure se310. I'm very fond of the ety's too.

Not giving walkingman my Klipsch Gel tips, they are gold. Sorry.

Jan 23, 2009 at 10:52 PM Post #8 of 13
If you can stretch a little further, I would look forward for an ER-4P on ebay from a reputed seller (Power seller) from the US. It'll cost you another £20-£30 at the most. Save the dough and get high end.
Check ebay.co.uk...

Jan 24, 2009 at 11:05 AM Post #9 of 13
Quote:

Originally Posted by astroid /img/forum/go_quote.gif
What IEM would you buy?
I have Custom 1 , EX75 and JVC Cushions at the moment , i like the Custom 1 best for the detail thay have at the top end and they are quite warm. The Sonys although less muddy than the old 71s are still a little too bassy but they are fun to listen to.
I am thinking of , Custom 2 , ER6I , Denons and maybe EX500s (cant find much on these), i thought about SE210 but i think SE310 are the best Shure starting point.
Any help greatly appreciated.

you find the custom 1 warm? i find them rather cold which i why i think i find them so fun and lively. by random chance i was listening to the custom 2 yesterday and they really are good so i think those would be my recommendation to you, though if you can get the se310 for ur budget they would prob be excellent. as for the EX500 i personally find them crazy warm, so warm i find they put me to sleep and i absolutely hate the j cord on them.

Jan 24, 2009 at 1:45 PM Post #10 of 13
Quote:

Originally Posted by mark2410 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
you find the custom 1 warm? i find them rather cold which i why i think i find them so fun and lively. by random chance i was listening to the custom 2 yesterday and they really are good so i think those would be my recommendation to you, though if you can get the se310 for ur budget they would prob be excellent. as for the EX500 i personally find them crazy warm, so warm i find they put me to sleep and i absolutely hate the j cord on them.

i found the custom 1 cold until i moved the gels horizontal apposed to the recommended vertical placement, i instantly achieved a seal that brought a warmth to the sound , it "glued" it together for lack of a better desription. i think i will go with custom 2s.

Jan 30, 2009 at 5:22 PM Post #12 of 13
I just brought the Denon C551s several weeks ago for £63 as a replacement for my now-defunct JVC HA-FX300s.

Initially I found the seal and isolation to be so-so, but once they burnt in, the detail in the sound was quite splendid. It is quite bassy, but it is tight and controlled without being overwhelming.

I moved the foams that came with my JVCs over onto the Denon as the silicone buds just didn't give me the isolation I wanted. Good move, as once those were on, there was less leakage of outside sound, and I could play music at lower volumes and yet retain the clarity. I'm sure the complys would have yet a more positive effect if I get some.

It does leak some sound to the outside, though I've not tested this aspect since I put the foams on.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back