Help: IEM's similar to Denon AH-D2000
Apr 15, 2013 at 11:46 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 1

keabler

New Head-Fier
Hi all,

I'm not a huge audiophile all though I do appreciate good sound.  I have even built a dot MK3 amp, however; I tend to not be all that active when it comes to keeping up with the latest and greatest in audio equipment.  

*I'm not trying to provide a review for any of the products I mention.  I'm just trying to use language that will get across the type of headphone I'm looking for compared to what I have used already.

Problem: I need some help with my portable set up.

I used to have a Sansa Clip (V2, rockboxed), Headstage Arrow amp, and Etymotic ER-4P, but recently upgraded to a hisoundaudio Nova N3 player (to replace the clip in my portable set up).  I really love the improved clarity and soundstage of the N3 when compared to the clip; however, some of the music I listen seems to "feel" underpowered.  The low end (snare, drums and guitar for metal music and EDM music in general) have lost some of the impact that I loved with my Sana Clip set up.

*Note: I love my new setup.  Neko Case has never sounded better and metal does sound good though this setup, but when I'm doing something strenuous (like at the gym) I miss the "oomph" that was present in my old setup.

Failed Solution: 

I read some threads here and some reviews elsewhere and thought that Future Sonics MG7 would give my back the low end in my portable set up.  So I purchased some, but they aren't what I'm looking for.  While it is true that they add more bass, I can't find any thing else positive to say about them.  They fit terrible (I'm use to the very secure fit of my er-4p's), the bass is muddy (a kick drum sounds more like a boomy "thud" rather than a satisfying "bump"), the mids sound hallow, and the sound stage is super narrow.  

To be fair I think that my opinion would be better of these headphones if they fit better, but I can't seem to get them far enough into my ears.  Sometimes if I really try to jam them in my ear the ear tip gets kinked and then my headphone turns into an earplug.  

What I'm looking for:

I have some Denon AH-D2000's that are hooked up to my computer (I use them mostly for games and movies).  When I plug my Denon's into my new portable setup I really like how they sound.  They aren't quite as clear as my ER-4P's but the bass is more powerful and the clarity/sound stage isn't sacrificed that much.  

- I'm wondering if anyone has any suggestions for an IEM that sounds similar to my AH-D2000's.
- I would really appreciate a detachable cord as I have rebuilt the cable on my ER4-P's many times (DIY oxygen free, silver plated, teflon      coated cables).

* One final note:  I really enjoy how PAA-1 headphones sound that came with my hisoundauido Nova N3 player.  They aren't as clear as my Denon's, the mids sound a bit hallow and I would prefer a bit more isolation, but they sound surprisingly good.

My price point is less than $300.  

Users who are viewing this thread

Back