Help identifying headphones Billy Corgan uses
Dec 17, 2022 at 3:27 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 4

bytor33

100+ Head-Fier
In this new Rick Beato interview Billy Corgan says that he struggled for years to find the right headphones that he can sing with and now has some that he loves. He couldn’t think of what they were though on the spot. He said they’re off the ear and let in a bit of sound. He talks about it starting at about 37 minutes and 40 seconds in if interested.

I did some searching and found him wearing some Sennheisers while playing for the Howard Stern show remotely. It looks like he’s at his home so I imagine these Sennheisers are possibly the headphones he was talking about, but I can’t tell what model they are.

Dec 17, 2022 at 4:59 PM Post #2 of 4
Looks like the Sennheiser HD650 based on the gray accents and also the centered logo at the top. Also fits the description of being open-back and also over-ear. It is definitely one of the Sennheiser HD series: HD580 Precision, HD600, HD650, HD660S and a couple more I won't delve into. Doesn't look like the 580 Precision based on the grille design. Doesn't look like the 58X based on the non-centered logo at the top. Not the HD600 because the rectangular plate isn't blue. Not the HD660S or HD6XX because the rectangular plate isn't black.
1671314100350.png

I have to note that these are probably the most well-known headphones here, so I am surprised that you haven't heard of them. The HD650s are now discontinued, but Sennheiser and Drop released a model called the HD6XX which is basically the same headphone.

Last edited:
Dec 17, 2022 at 9:53 PM Post #3 of 4
Thank you! I definitely know about the HD650s but have never had a pair or tried one so couldn't pick them blindly out of a Sennheiser lineup. There are pictures of Corgan wearing a lot of different headphones of course so I can't be sure these are it, but from what he said about them letting some sound in it seems likely. Most other pictures of him wearing headphones are typical closed-back studio headphones.

Dec 17, 2022 at 10:10 PM Post #4 of 4
Looks like the Sennheiser HD650 based on the gray accents and also the centered logo at the top. Also fits the description of being open-back and also over-ear. It is definitely one of the Sennheiser HD series: HD580 Precision, HD600, HD650, HD660S and a couple more I won't delve into. Doesn't look like the 580 Precision based on the grille design. Doesn't look like the 58X based on the non-centered logo at the top. Not the HD600 because the rectangular plate isn't blue. Not the HD660S or HD6XX because the rectangular plate isn't black.

I have to note that these are probably the most well-known headphones here, so I am surprised that you haven't heard of them. The HD650s are now discontinued**, but Sennheiser and Drop released a model called the HD6XX which is basically the same headphone.
** They are still made in Ireland by Sennheiser (hearing group), a division of Sonova.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back