Help ID some spooky music.
Nov 5, 2001 at 6:15 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 16

squirrelman

100+ Head-Fier
I am trying to figure out the name of that song that is always played in scary movies on huge pipe organs. Its always the bad guy playing the music. Does anyone know what this song is called? Thanks for any help you can be.

Nov 5, 2001 at 8:30 AM Post #3 of 16
I was going to say the same thing
wink.gif
It's gotta be Toccata and Fugue.

Nov 6, 2001 at 2:48 PM Post #11 of 16
Personally, I don't find this music particularly spooky...it is however incredible. Few people these days ever listen to the Fugue, which rocks the party. Bach, IMO, was the greatest master of polyphony that the world has ever seen. Even without the sheer grandiosity of a full symphony, he was able to multiply the presence of the instruments he had to make them seem far more numerous than they actually were. Esp. evident in his piano, organ and solo cello works. Listen to the 3rd or 6th cello suites, if played well, you will forget that it is being played by only one person...astonishing! Whoa, that got a little off topic
rolleyes.gif

sorry,
stu

Nov 6, 2001 at 10:47 PM Post #12 of 16
I know what you mean, I dont think it is overally spooky per se but I knew that is the only way I would be able to describe the song so anyone might know it. I really liked this so so I am going to try and get some more Bach stuff. I am new to classical music so I am just finding out what I like as I go. I will probably buy a cd I found that Telarc had, at least that way I am not helping the giant RIAA that I hate so much, I think.

Nov 7, 2001 at 12:04 AM Post #13 of 16
You might also find interesting a "rock" version of this by Jon Lord (organist for Deep Purple) on his solo album Before I Forget (red with elephant on the cover), called "Bach onto This". According to AMG, it was just re-released toady.

Nov 7, 2001 at 12:07 AM Post #14 of 16
Quote:

Originally posted by stuartr
...Whoa, that got a little off topic
rolleyes.gif

sorry,
stu

Feel free...I don't know about anyone else here, but I suspect they share my sentiments when I say, I am all about off-topic, or, as I prefer, digressions, when it comes to music. That's how I find out about stuff.

Nov 7, 2001 at 3:25 AM Post #15 of 16
they don't call him the master of polyphany for nothin.

off topic, but does anyone know of a good recording of bach's cantata #82?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back