HELP...I want to buy the best Amp for AKG 701 under $600
May 18, 2006 at 8:28 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 10

Major

New Head-Fier
Hi all,

I'm new to the amp field. Just recieved my AKG 701 today and would like to know what amp is a good pair to the headphone? Looking to spend around $600 but willing to go a bit higher. Any help and suggestion would be much appreciated.
orphsmile.gif

May 18, 2006 at 10:12 PM Post #3 of 10
It depends on what kind of sound you want to ultimately result.

For warm-sounding, soundstage goodness you'll want a tube amp. The Musical Fidelity X-Can V3 is supposed to be a good value ($350), but there's also the Laconic EC-01 ($350), the Woo Audio 3 ($490), and the Singlepower PPX3 (stock version is $650).

For sound refinement you'll want a solid-state amp. The RSA SR-71, Gilmore Lite or GS-1, Corda Aria, LaRocco PRII, and HeadRoom Micro Amp are all excellent ones that have been reported to have good synergy with the K701.

May 18, 2006 at 10:19 PM Post #4 of 10
Looking for a rich accurate sound. Nothing that will pump bass and make me deaf. Just really a clean sound. I'm a novice at this. I'll look into those amps and read up on them. Thanks for the info. Anymore recommendations are always helpful.

May 19, 2006 at 3:11 AM Post #5 of 10
I'm thinking about doing poll for the best ~$300 amp for the 701's. Any suggestions besides the following:

Laconic EC-01
Musical Fidelity X-Can V3
Gilmore Light
Headroom Micro
M^3

?

May 19, 2006 at 3:28 AM Post #6 of 10
Quote:

I'm thinking about doing poll for the best ~$300 amp for the 701's. Any suggestions besides the following:

Laconic EC-01
Musical Fidelity X-Can V3
Gilmore Light
Headroom Micro
M^3

?

The Zhalou D2 with the discrete headphone amp upgrade ($200-$300, depending where you buy and what configuration you choose). Still no one has the upgraded headamp for version D2 but the DAC has proved to be a hard-to-defeat contender and it seems the upgraded headamp will be very good also. You should wait for people (including me) to get their hands on it since I've seen many people who plan to use it with the K 701.

May 19, 2006 at 1:14 PM Post #7 of 10
I was looking at the same models for my K701s. I am currenlty using a CI Audio VHP-1 and I like the comibination. And, like the X-Can, you can add a power supply.

It falls into the same price range as the others on your list.

May 31, 2006 at 10:57 PM Post #8 of 10
I'm waiting for the Harman Kardon AVR 645 this fall. I presumed the headphone output would be fine, but now I'm not so sure. The manual for the 745 doesn't have any information other than it has a Dolby headphone mode for surround sound.

Anyone know anything? What minimum numbers am I looking for to drive the K701?

May 31, 2006 at 11:00 PM Post #9 of 10
I'd probably try an M3 with OPA627s or OPA637s. Another option is a Headamp model, such as the GS-1 or Gilmore Lite. I tried the GL on the K701 and thought it did a nice job for when I want a more neutral presentation whilst maintaining high detail and good dynamics.

Jun 1, 2006 at 3:19 PM Post #10 of 10
Like PMK, I'm also using the Channel Islands Audio VHP-1 to drive the AKG K-701's. I've also added the optional VAC-1 power supply, and I've also upgraded the 'umbilical' AC cable between these units to the Revelation Audio Labs 'Parable' Cryo-Silver AC. I'm also feeding the VHP-1 and VAC-1 with Cardas Golden Reference ICs and AC. My entire headphone system has approximately 350 hours usage on it thus far, and I find it to sound very clean and open. Bass is a little lean, but it appears to be improving as further break-in occurs. Other threads on the K701's appear to mirror these observations, as several members indicate that these cans need 500+ hours to fully blossom.

But even at this stage, it's hard to fault the performance of the CI Audio combo at its price point. I feel it offers a tonally neutral and detailed presentation, very nice soundstaging, clear and articulate midrange, and very extended yet smooth highs.

Another key element in evaluating any headphone system is, of course, the quality of the music source. Feed this combo a good source, I feel you will end up with a very pleasing result.

[size=xx-small]Headphones: AKG K-701
Headphone Amp: Channel Islands Audio VHP-1 / VAC-1 combo + Revelation Audio Labs Parable Cyro-Silver AC umbilical
Source: Aurum Acoustics Integris CDP
Cables: Cardas Golden Reference ICs + AC power
[/size]

Users who are viewing this thread

Back