Help! I need your thoughts on which premium earbuds to go with
Apr 5, 2024 at 12:30 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 9

frostyforst

New Head-Fier
Long story short, I'm new to the hobby but recently I upgraded headphones to a wired focal headphone and my mind was blown.
Now I want to do the same for wireless earbuds. I currently use the apple airpods pro 2. My question is:

(1) Can I get meaningful upgrade to sound quality from Airpods pro 2?

and if yes, (2) which one of these would you recommend just purely on sound quality (I dont care for ANC or EQ or anything complicated like that. Just out of the box sound quality).
  • Denon Pearl pro
  • Momentum 4
  • Hifiman Svanar Wireless
  • Bowers & Wilkins Pi7 S2
  • Bang & Olufsen Beoplay EX
  • Final Audio ZE8000
  • Devialet Gemini II

Last edited:
Apr 5, 2024 at 3:32 PM Post #2 of 9
Long story short, I'm new to the hobby but recently I upgraded headphones to a wired focal headphone and my mind was blown.
Now I want to do the same for wireless earbuds. I currently use the apple airpods pro 2. My question is:

(1) Can I get meaningful upgrade to sound quality from Airpods pro 2?

and if yes, (2) which one of these would you recommend just purely on sound quality (I dont care for ANC or EQ or anything complicated like that. Just out of the box sound quality).
  • Denon Pearl pro
  • Momentum 4
  • Hifiman Svanar Wireless
  • Bowers & Wilkins Pi7 S2
  • Bang & Olufsen Beoplay EX
  • Final Audio ZE8000

If sound quality is most important and you don't care about ANC, wired iems would be a better and cheaper option.

Apr 5, 2024 at 3:56 PM Post #4 of 9
I dont need ANC but unfortunately wire is out of the question as its too clumsy for what I need them for

If that's the case, you still don't have to be limited to the tws listed above. They make mmcx and 2 pin BT adapters that attach to standard iems.

Apr 5, 2024 at 4:04 PM Post #6 of 9
Im not sure I follow. I dont want wires handing down from my ears

They don't, they look something like this... recharge in their case with the iems like a TWS would.

FiiO-UTWS1.jpg

Apr 5, 2024 at 4:07 PM Post #8 of 9
oh wow ok didnt know this category exists. How much of a sound quality upgrade would these be from TWS?

In my experience with them, it's better than a TWS if you don't mind the little bulk of the adapter behind your ear. FiiO, iBasso, TRN, and others make them.

Apr 6, 2024 at 9:22 AM Post #9 of 9
A little bit about your sonic preferences and preferred music type would help. I assume you’re not listening out of an iPhone / Apple device? Their wireless Bluetooth codec doesn’t suppprt LDAC / APTX (on iPhone/iPad)

Of your list, the Hifiman Wireless Svanar in high-fidelity mode has my nod for sound quality. The Noble Audio Fokus Prestige is also worth a listen if you like the more organic wooden case/shell but can manage the small idiosyncrasies (like needing a USB extension adapter for the charge cable). The tuning is more weighted towards the low mids/bass on the Prestige.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back