help! I need to replace my now-broken eggo's...
Feb 9, 2005 at 8:42 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 5

heeeraldo

100+ Head-Fier
so, my eggo's (d66) have given up the ghost, after almost two years of solid use and abuse.

I need to replace them, and although the obvious choice is to just get another pair, I'm curious as to what else might be good for it. my current stopgap solution is a pair of pmx-60s I picked up this morning, which are nice but not exactly what I'm looking for.

the rundown:
- mostly for commuting. I can deal with semi-closed, but I'm not entirely sure how I feel about canalphones.
- I like the way the eggos sounded.
- I listen to mostly indie rock and IDM. I also have a mild weakness for electropop with breathy vocals (like Kylie or Annie).
- Budget is roughly $100-170 Canadian, preferably less.

I'm using this with an oldish CD player (Sony D345) and I'll be picking up an iPod in the near future, so unamped is preferable.

thanks in advance, guys.

Feb 10, 2005 at 4:38 AM Post #3 of 5
My suggestion is the Audio Techinca FC7. There isn't much talk about this headphone, but it is portable, light, fairly cheap (around $50 shipped) and sound wonderful. Good all-around performer...an upgrade to my px200's and probably around the same level as d66 eggos. My only two complaints are:

1) comfort - they aren't supra-aural, so they kind of sit on your ears and you notice it after an hour.

2) portability - they fold down, but not tightly or as reassuringly as eggos do.

I think they're worth a try,...

Feb 10, 2005 at 4:38 AM Post #4 of 5
no dice on the partsolver; they didn't even have the 66 listed.

in any case, I'm more interested in finding out if anyone has any better fits to my needs than me just buying a new pair of D66's. While I like the PMX-60's, and will probably keep them to run with, the openness factor is driving me nuts.

Feb 10, 2005 at 4:40 AM Post #5 of 5
fc7 sound kinda different from the eggo. if you wanna try canalphone for max isolationa and like the eggo sound, maybe you will like the etymotic er6. it also has light bass and an articulate sound.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back