Help! I need to lobby for the ability to use headphones at work.
Aug 27, 2004 at 2:37 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 30

AngryFish

Head-Fier
Fellow Head-Fi'ers,

For the past year I have been unable to listen to my cans at work, this came about because of a fellow co-worker who slacks all the time and was constantly wearing phones and not doing a thing besides listening to his music. As a consequence of his actions my boss banned headphone listening. we are allowed to use our speakers but who wants to use those when an amp and some nice cans are so available.

Ive been looking on the internet for some study that proves that headphones increase workplace productivity.

Does anyone have any suggestions?
600smile.gif

Aug 27, 2004 at 3:17 PM Post #2 of 30
Why not just approach the boss.

Tell him you're aware of previous reasons why they were banned, and you pledge that the same won't be said of you. Say that the enviromental noise of the office bugs you, and you know you concentrate better with headphones. Ask him to reconsider on a case by case basis, and give you a shot. If he notices a decrease in productivity from you, he can reserve the right to take the privelage away.

It can't hurt to just be honest.

Aug 27, 2004 at 3:22 PM Post #3 of 30
Good suggestion. Your solution would acknowlege his authority while appealing to him.

I know from being in management at a previous job that this approach is better than a comparison of other cases or a direct confrontation of his approach.

Aug 27, 2004 at 3:25 PM Post #4 of 30
Quote:

Originally Posted by AngryFish
Good suggestion. Your solution would acknowlege his authority while appealing to him.

I know from being in management at a previous job that this approach is better than a comparison of other cases or a direct confrontation of his approach.

Exactly. If your boss is of the pointy hair variety, he might actually be insulted if you were to present a study to him. It might be like proving him wrong.

Bring up the point that the guy slacking probably wasn't slacking because of music, he was slacking because he's a friggin slacker.

Headphones don't promote laziness, lazy people do.

Apr 12, 2005 at 9:53 PM Post #5 of 30
RISE FROM YOUR GRAVE!!!

I am currently experiencing the same issue with my boss trying to ban headphones from work.(basically we are on "restriction")

Unfortunetely, twifosp's advice won't work on my boss as he doesn't like to listen to people that aren't him.

What I really need are some studies and hard evidence that headphones increase productivity at work.

The best I could find on the internet was a correlation between ADD/ADHD sufferers and the headphone usage helping them to focus. I really don't want to go through the trouble of getting diagnosed with add, so I would appreciate any other information that people can offer.

Apr 12, 2005 at 10:49 PM Post #6 of 30
raif,

Good luck.

I tried the path of appealing to my boss's authority and reasoning with him. result, - I can wear headphones during my lunch break. (lol)

Still cant wear them during the workday due to another coworker's laziness and abuse.

it sounds like we are in the same situation.

My boss actually told us in a meeting that he will never ever admit when he is wrong so therefore i doubt he will ever recant and let us use cans at work.

Apr 13, 2005 at 12:04 AM Post #8 of 30
Quote:

Originally Posted by raif
I always wonder.....

When these guys were kids, did they actually think "Hey, I want to be the corporate bad guy from every 80s movie when I grow up"

I really doubt it. AngryFish, it looks like you are stuck without your headphones, especially if your boss is one of those people who wont admit to being wrong. Are speakers available? If they are, just get some nice computer speakers for work.

Apr 13, 2005 at 2:20 AM Post #9 of 30
k-1000's accept no substitutes.

seriosuly they will allow speakers, but not headphones? weird.

i like the ideas aboive, of atempting to get heqadphones re-instated.

should that fail, there is the ever present option of playing totally non offensive, non objectionable music LOUD.

Apr 13, 2005 at 8:15 AM Post #10 of 30
I guess pointing out that you are not this slacker wouldn't help. You are not him and do not need a punishment as if you were him. You are a a good employee and have never given him cause to believe otherwise. Punishing the entire group is a punishment befitting children. You are not children. If you treat your employees like children, then they may start behaving like them.
wink.gif
Inform him that you're wearing headphones anyway because the noise pollution from the speakers is too much. Tell him you'll let your productivity do the talking.

Apr 13, 2005 at 8:40 AM Post #11 of 30
Apr 13, 2005 at 8:46 AM Post #12 of 30
Bring some huge powered studio monitors into work and blast some music.

When you are asked to turn the volume down, turn the volume down, but crank the bass up (it travels farther).

Then when they complain about that, say, "Well it would be much quieter if I wore headphones."

Then after you are cleaning out your desk, remember to get a contract signed in which you can listen to headphones all you want at your next job.

-Ed

Apr 13, 2005 at 4:48 PM Post #13 of 30
Quote:

Originally Posted by Edwood

When you are asked to turn the volume down, turn the volume down, but crank the bass up (it travels farther).

Then when they complain about that, say, "Well it would be much quieter if I wore headphones."

Then after you are cleaning out your desk, remember to get a contract signed in which you can listen to headphones all you want at your next job.

-Ed

Good plan Ed. A Reverend Horton Heat CD might help speed things along too.

Apr 13, 2005 at 6:24 PM Post #14 of 30
Quote:

Originally Posted by Edwood

-Ed

I'm sorry to say that this sounds like your best shot.

Really though, unless your boss is that messed up kid who wants to be the corporate bad guy, I can't imagine him not letting you use headphones if you are clear and concise when explaining you situation to him. But then I haven't ever had a real boss, so I am unable to speak from experience.

Apr 14, 2005 at 10:35 AM Post #15 of 30
(warning: long and preachy)

I don't have any studies on headphones to offer, but I went and consulted my copy of Slack by (fairly well-known software/technical management consultant) Tom DeMarco. It is essentially a book about the difference between being busy and being productive, in a knowledge/technology workplace. There's nothing directly relevant to music in it, but this section seemed applicable nonetheless to the headphones-at-work and productivity issue:
My own experience consulting inside some highly successful companies (Microsoft, Apple, Hewlett-Packagd, IBM, Dupont, to name a few) cannot corroborate a relationship between busyness and success. Very successful companies have never struck me as particularly busy; in fact, they are, as a group, rather laid-back. Energy is evident in the workplace, but it's not the energy tinged with fear that comes from being slightly behind on everything.
A later chapter notes,
It's the stressed-out organization that elevates the use of pressure to its prominent status. it makes its managers apply far too much. The long-term effect of too much pressure is demotivation, burnout, and loss of key people. The best managers use pressure only rarely and never over extended periods.
Whether this fits your situation or not, I think the underlying problem is that your managers have decided to impose an unpleasant rule on you based on an unproven belief that it will help them meet organizational goals. I'm not necessarily condemning that per se; managers are pretty much always having to make decisions based on unproven models of the world, it just goes with the territory. But a good manager will be open to adjusting his or her model based on results. If your managers have wrong ideas about what contributes to and detracts from productivity and are dogmatic about them, then you've got poor managers on your hands.

If you have poor managers, you've got some decisions to make. Does the organization seem to actually encourage the manager's dysfunctions? If so, it's a sign that you may have a dysfunctional organization rather than just a dysfunctional manager. It's worth making the distinction, because a dysfunctional manager has a chance of being replaced by a good organization, but can thrive in a dysfunctional one. I don't know what you can do about a dysfunctional organization except make preparations for departure. (That's not to say it's necessarily best to hurry out the door. I've usually stuck around and focused long enough to do a show-off job finishing some project, and treated that success as my resume for the next job.)

For what it's worth, I've managed technology teams to success over a fair number of years, at Apple, at Sun, and now for the government. If you ask me, once you've selected good talent, and have a decently worthwhile project for them to work on, the thing that has just about the highest correlation to productivity -- way higher than any conjecture about the influence of headphones, for crying out loud -- is confidence in the supportiveness of the organization and its management. People who can do their work without worrying about what their org or their boss is doing while their back is turned get a lot more done. People who feel good rip through work, while people who don't, don't. The corollary is that caring about people's happiness is good business (as well as suiting my personal values anyway). If wearing headphones makes you happy at work, I'm all for it; here, audition some of mine.

But maybe they're not seriously bad managers, just scared or in over their heads or overreacting. Maybe they're open to adjusting their beliefs, or cutting some kind of deal. If I were in your shoes, I'd ask what the real issue in the manager's mind was (presumably productivity, but better to find out than to guess). I'd see if I could get the manager to agree to some kind of deal based on some metric relevant to his/her concerns -- if it's productivity, then, for example, let me guarantee to meet project milestone X with headphones on. If I do, I keep them. If I don't, we try it his way. If all the boss really wants are the milestones and the guarantees, this is a good offer, so maybe they'll take it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back