HELP!! I F'ed Up My Hearing!!
Mar 19, 2007 at 8:16 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 22

BRBJackson

Headphoneus Supremus
I can't believe this. Of my 5 senses, sound is what matters most, and yet I made a STUPID error... I went to an indoor pistol range a couple of days ago. The regs there are crystal-clear: put on hearing protection PRIOR to entering the active fire-line. I was totalling distracted, though, and ended up in my firing slot without Mickey Mouse ears... IDIOT!!! So just as I'm pulling them out of my bag, the guy next to me fires off his .40 S&W, and... well now, I've got a nasty ringing in my ears, and everything sounds somewhat 'metallic'.

Any audiologists in the group want to take a stab at this one? Will my hearing improve? Is there anything I can do at this point to improve things? Vitamins? Rest? Drugs? Witchcraft?

Jeebus, I can't imagine life without sweet, pure music
blink.gif
H E L P ! ! !

Mar 19, 2007 at 8:35 PM Post #5 of 22
Quote:

Originally Posted by BRBJackson /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I can't believe this. Of my 5 senses, sound is what matters most, and yet I made a STUPID error... I went to an indoor pistol range a couple of days ago. The regs there are crystal-clear: put on hearing protection PRIOR to entering the active fire-line. I was totalling distracted, though, and ended up in my firing slot without Mickey Mouse ears... IDIOT!!! So just as I'm pulling them out of my bag, the guy next to me fires off his .40 S&W, and... well now, I've got a nasty ringing in my ears, and everything sounds somewhat 'metallic'.

Any audiologists in the group want to take a stab at this one? Will my hearing improve? Is there anything I can do at this point to improve things? Vitamins? Rest? Drugs? Witchcraft?

Jeebus, I can't imagine life without sweet, pure music
blink.gif
H E L P ! ! !

Bummer man... my buddy fired his .44 mag Desert Eagle right next to my ear when we were camping a while back and it rang for 3-4 days but slowly got better until it went away. Everyone is different but I promise it was louder than a .40 so you may have hope!

Mar 19, 2007 at 8:43 PM Post #6 of 22
Quote:

Originally Posted by Thelonious Monk /img/forum/go_quote.gif
while i have no scientific help, i suggest wearing earplugs for the next few days as to not agitate it further

I second this. Again, I don't have any credentials either, but wearing some cheap foam ear plugs which will still let you hear normal conversation for the next couple days could only help.

I really hope your hearing gets back to where it used to be soon.

Mar 19, 2007 at 8:48 PM Post #7 of 22
Thanks for the responses, folks. I will def be protecting my hearing for the next week or so.

EDIT: Thaks F1GTR, I'll check in to that if things don't improve.

wakeride74: Muchas Gracias for the encouraging words, and BTW, I miss your Bauer avatar...

Mar 19, 2007 at 8:48 PM Post #8 of 22
Something which makes the blood "thinner" will help (aspirin for example) but normally you should take it asap. However you can get a infusion with common salt which will also help your ears. I had this some years ago when my ears were ringing after a concert and it went away. However that has to be done on daily basis (one week for me) - talk to a doctor.

Mar 19, 2007 at 9:28 PM Post #11 of 22
Quote:

Originally Posted by ken36 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
HELP!! I F'ed Up My Hearing!!

[size=x-large]Yes you did.[/size]

no you did not. the only cure is time. I HATE how people will jump on the boards after a loud concert or something and start prattling off the symtoms for tinnitus and begging for help like its something as serious as unprotected sex with a prostitute! People, you're not going to lose all your hearing from a single loud night out! You would think some of these head-fiers have never gone to a concert or club in their entire lives before. Give me a break!

Do people lose all logic when it comes to their ears? If you cut yourself slicing vegatables would you run to head-fi asking for an instant fix/cure-all? What would a doctor do for you? Pierce your eardrums and perscribe a magical tea for you to drink?

Mar 19, 2007 at 9:30 PM Post #12 of 22
I would go to a doctor NOW. Because -

"Physical trauma
  1. Exposure to very loud noise (90 dB or more, such as jet engines at close range) can cause progressive hearing loss. [size=medium]Exposure to a single event of extremely loud noise (such as explosions) can also cause temporary or permanent hearing loss.[/size] "

Mar 19, 2007 at 9:34 PM Post #13 of 22
It's quite possible that your hearing has been permanently damaged, however you won't know for sure for a while. I would go check with a doctor after a few days if your hearing is still messed and see what can be done.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back