Help, i can't make up my mind. Xtra or iPod???
Nov 20, 2003 at 3:52 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 9

brschmid

500+ Head-Fier
i do have a Zen USB2.0 but the backlight died
frown.gif
i have had it for 8 months too
frown.gif
i really like it, the quality is great. but with Best Buy's stupid replacement warranty i only get store credit, so i am stuck buying something else from them.

If i could get a 60Gb Zen USB 2.0 i would be all over that. but i don't think that is gonna be possible
frown.gif

Who has the Xtra? how does it sound?

Who has the iPod? how does it sound?

Who has compared both, which sounds better. I don't care about size or weight, or looks since i am so used to my Zen.

please help i only have a few weeks to decide and i don't wanna waste my money.

Nov 20, 2003 at 4:36 AM Post #2 of 9
Well, I had a Zen USB2.0 (still have it actually, though I kind of gave it to my dad), and I liked it a lot. The Creative software was a bit buggy, but besides that, it was an excellent player. I ended up getting a 20GB 4th generation iPod when I switched from PC to Apple (PowerBook G4 niiiiiiiiiice....), and frankly, using the same two headphones (Sennheiser PX200s and Bose TriPorts) I didn't really hear a difference when I switched. I did a listening test over the weekend, though, and now I'll say that the Zen sound is more uncolored, maybe a slight bit clearer, while the iPod seems to have more punch (I don't know how to describe it; the iPod's sound just seems to hit you more, and I don't mean volume wise). Both sound excellent, in my opinion (way better than my old CD Walkman), assuming you record your music well (but if you're on this forum, that's probably a given).
Honestly, I like my iPod. The size is killer compared to the Zen (makes me realize just how much of a tank the Zen is), the dock is a nice feature, and iTunes and the iPod work flawlessly. My only complaints with the iPod are the touch sensitive buttons (I hate them) and the fact the plastic seems to scratch very easily while the metal back shows fingerprints. The Zen maintains its "like new" look much longer.
Honestly, I like both a lot. The Zen's screen could be bigger, the iPod's screen could be a little more scratch resistant, and both need firmware updates to scroll album names, because it's extremely annoying when you have a CD like BT's Movement In Still Life that has a long title and two discs, and it just sort of become Movement in Stil...
Anyways, enough of my ranting. In all seriousness, the Zen probably sounds a little bit better, but the difference is so small most people wouldn't notice. I have no idea about the Xtra or the NX, though I have to say I think the "Zen Xtra" name sucks majorly.

Nov 20, 2003 at 5:00 AM Post #3 of 9
I prefer the iPod, but if at the end you can't decide, go with the Xtra. It's cheaper.

See this brief iPod comparison.

Nov 20, 2003 at 1:50 PM Post #4 of 9
Quote:

and both need firmware updates to scroll album names

they did, works AWESOME...

And i don't use creatives ****ty software, i bought Redchair Notmad
600smile.gif

Nov 20, 2003 at 5:18 PM Post #6 of 9
Quote:

Originally posted by blessingx
For the record, you can get Red Chair software for either player.

i know..

does the iPod have an equalizer?

Nov 20, 2003 at 5:23 PM Post #7 of 9
Yes, though a pretty useless one.

Do you also have the option of the Rio Karma? You could basically get many of the iPod's internals for less and with possibly the best HD portable EQ. Plus FLAC support if that matters to you.

Nov 20, 2003 at 5:34 PM Post #8 of 9
i am not sure. i will check. does it come bigger than 20GB, i want min 40Gb

I think i am gonna skip on the iPod, too bloody expensive. 500.00 + warranty + extra accessories for long trips = over 650.00:eek2: :eek2:
Xtra + warranty + make my own battery pack for it = 400.00
smily_headphones1.gif
much better. i hope i can get one though
frown.gif

Nov 20, 2003 at 5:42 PM Post #9 of 9
i don't like the way the Karma looks. And it is only 20Gb. I need mininum 30Gb for my music, 40Gb will have a longer usefull life for me.
frown.gif

that EQ looks nice though. much like the Premeir deck i have in my car.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back