Help, I can't decide how to spend my $300 between noise-cancelling and open-ear headphones!
Aug 30, 2012 at 10:03 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 5

grizzel

New Head-Fier
So I just started a new job where I'll be travelling alot, mostly by plane. I really want to get a pair of over ear headphones that will help drown out the noises in the airport and in the plane so that I can focus or rest. Aa noise cancelling headphone is a must if I'm to keep my sanity. Here's the catch though, I also want a pair of headphones (preferably open back) for a more pleasurable and detailed listening experience. I would use the open headphones for listening to my record player (headphone jack plugged into my Klipsch ProMedias), my computer, and my ipod classic 7th gen. My total budget to gear up on sweet headphones is $300, although I'd be willing to go to $400 if my ears would seriously benefit.

So far I can't figure out what noise cancelling over-ear headphone that aren't the Bose QC15s or AKG K495NCs are good for well under $300.
In the open back category I am looking closely at the Grado SR125i or possibly the 225 model.

My quesiton is, what is the best way to use my $300 to cover my bases for good above entry-level sound on mostly all fronts.
Also, I don't have an at home or portable amp, so would that affect the types of phones I should purchase? Would the Grados perform well without an amp?
Does it make sense to spend all the $300 on noisecancelling headphones, if they will offer comprable if not the same sound quality as audiophile level headphones?

Lastly, I like to listen to Rock, Indie, Blues, Hip Hop, and Electronic ranging from .flac to 128k (mostly somewhere in between).

Please please help me figure this out. Great sound is important to me, I don't want to keep missing out on what my favorite bands intended me to hear.

Aug 30, 2012 at 10:32 PM Post #2 of 5
The Audio Technica ANC7b is a good active NC headphone that can be found for just a tad over $100 (under if you can find it on sale). For a very solid midrange open headphone that's easy to drive, the Sennheiser HD598 can be had for about $180 when on sale.

If noise cancelling is a high priority though, you might consider getting a high end IEM and spend the whole $300 on that. 

Sep 19, 2012 at 5:56 PM Post #4 of 5
You can check my profile for reviews and comparisons of various headphone. Or just spend some time reading around the forums. 

Some quick recommendations:
non-noise cancelling but high isolation: Sennheiser HD280/380 (foldable), Beyerdynamic DT770 (not foldable), Sennheiser HD25 (not foldable but small), Beyerdynamic DT1350
noise cancelling: Audio Technica ANC7b
IEM: Etymotic ER-4

Users who are viewing this thread

Back