HELP- I am struggling
Aug 2, 2012 at 8:51 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 5

Velobabble

New Head-Fier
I have jumped into recabling my grado sr80's and I have run into a problem and I need some help.  I want to do a single sided cable with a 3.5mm stereo jack. 

The issue is this little plate that the wires are soldered to popped off.  I can not get it to reconnect.  I am not sure how the electrical contact was made with this plate in the first place.  I can not get sound to come out of this side.  It seems as though it was glued on there.  If i hold it on there and plug it in I can not get it to work.  Can anyone help me? Please?  I am struggling. 
Thanks in advance. Mark

Aug 2, 2012 at 10:25 AM Post #2 of 5
hmm could be an issue called premature and cruel headphone death
wink.gif

thin magnet wires from the voice coil will have been soldered to that little PCB and then it was glued in place. youve used too much heat, melted the adhesive and desoldered/likely vaporized the wires and pulled it off, it didnt 'pop off'.

you may be able to find the thin leads in that black gunge somewhere, but I have to say I dont have great confidence in your ability to solder them back without doing further damage. do you know someone who can help you?

Aug 2, 2012 at 11:45 AM Post #3 of 5
Thanks for the vote of confidence.  I don't know anyone that can help.  I will try and fix them if I can.  If I can't then, I will figure something else out.  I appreciate your response and your humor. At least I now have some idea what I am looking for. 

Aug 2, 2012 at 1:06 PM Post #4 of 5
haha sorry I didnt know quite what to say. its just that the magnet wires (if you can find them) are likely enameled and extremely thin/short, youve separated the PCB while using too much heat soldering much bigger targets.

you really should have tinned the stripped ends of the cable before trying to solder it, the solder terminal you have there is a short circuit waiting to happen. so other than fishing around to see if you can find them and if you do post back here, I can only suggest either seeing if grado will sell you a replacement, or chucking the headphones. actually you might be able to sell just the frames for parts on here

maybe post in the magnum thread on here for advice. i've only worked on a few of the more high end woodies, but what you have there appears to be basically the same format

Aug 2, 2012 at 6:11 PM Post #5 of 5
Thanks- Grado said send them in and they would put new woofers in both sides for 30.00.  Seems like the prudent thing to do.  I don't want to pitch them.  I am not going to get another set for 30.00. I guess I will chalk it up as a lesson learned.  The cost of which appears to be around 30.00.  

Users who are viewing this thread

Back