HELP! I am about to buy Stax SR-303/SRM-313 Is this a big mistake?
Feb 18, 2008 at 2:25 PM Post #16 of 33
I have tested out the old SR-5's and you can hear the music very quiet so I assume it must be these at fault which means maybe my old SRD-6 still works but from I've been told above I cannot repair these easily so they are now scrap value only? Can anyone recommend the best standard plugged headphone for the SRD-6 or would I be better off selling it and enjoy my new purchase?
My new purchase was a used but mint champagne fronted SRS-3030 system Richter Di.

Feb 18, 2008 at 7:25 PM Post #17 of 33
Quote:

Originally Posted by QUADGOD /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I have tested out the old SR-5's and you can hear the music very quiet so I assume it must be these at fault which means maybe my old SRD-6 still works but from I've been told above I cannot repair these easily so they are now scrap value only? Can anyone recommend the best standard plugged headphone for the SRD-6 or would I be better off selling it and enjoy my new purchase?
My new purchase was a used but mint champagne fronted SRS-3030 system Richter Di.

Try leaving the phones plugged into the amp for 24 hours (with it turned on but no music playing though you can have music playing) as they might wake up. It's worth a shot and so is pulling off the earpads and opening them up to see if there is any oxidation on the internal connections.

Feb 19, 2008 at 6:53 AM Post #18 of 33
Quote:

I have some mint SR-3 that I got from Spritzer I might part with for you to use with your SRD6. I got them for my son, but he took my SR-Lambda Pros instead. Kids, go figure... While, I like my SR-5 gold edition better, these SR-3 are still decent headphones - Spritzer even says he likes them better. PM me if interested, I am not actively selling them but for my offer to you.

Feb 21, 2008 at 12:21 AM Post #19 of 33
Quote:

Originally Posted by spritzer /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Try leaving the phones plugged into the amp for 24 hours (with it turned on but no music playing though you can have music playing) as they might wake up. It's worth a shot and so is pulling off the earpads and opening them up to see if there is any oxidation on the internal connections.

Ok I have taken a look inside and there is no sign of oxidation on the terminals. If looking at the disc part you put your ear next to I can see a few tiny (1-2mm) areas of discolouration/oxidation in the copper. The thin diaphragm that looks like cling film in front of that copper disc looks a little like it has loads of flaws in it which catch the light, a bit like a smashed piece of laminated glass. I really cannot see anything else that visually could be construed as possibly faulty especially as I know fork oil about these as you know. They really are in superb condition and it is a shame they do not work. I will leave them plugged into my energiser overnight as you suggest just in case anything happens.
I will do my best to find someone who has the knowledge to get them working if at all possible. Any other ideas please let me know.

Feb 21, 2008 at 7:55 AM Post #20 of 33
Quote:

Ok I have taken a look inside and there is no sign of oxidation on the terminals. If looking at the disc part you put your ear next to I can see a few tiny (1-2mm) areas of discolouration/oxidation in the copper. The thin diaphragm that looks like cling film in front of that copper disc looks a little like it has loads of flaws in it which catch the light, a bit like a smashed piece of laminated glass. I really cannot see anything else that visually could be construed as possibly faulty especially as I know fork oil about these as you know. They really are in superb condition and it is a shame they do not work. I will leave them plugged into my energiser overnight as you suggest just in case anything happens.
I will do my best to find someone who has the knowledge to get them working if at all possible. Any other ideas please let me know.

Since the stators are oxidized then odds are that the charge ring for the diaphragm is so as well. The film nearest to the ear is supposed to be very flexible so that is normal. I could also be that the bias supply in the energizer is dead so if you have the 313 amp yet use that to charge the phones. If the phones had a channel imbalance then the blame would be theirs but low volume on both sides is probably the energizer acting up.

Feb 23, 2008 at 10:47 AM Post #21 of 33
Quote:

Since the stators are oxidized then odds are that the charge ring for the diaphragm is so as well. The film nearest to the ear is supposed to be very flexible so that is normal. I could also be that the bias supply in the energizer is dead so if you have the 313 amp yet use that to charge the phones. If the phones had a channel imbalance then the blame would be theirs but low volume on both sides is probably the energizer acting up.

Hey guess what!!?? I did as you directed and left them on over night in my 313's and they are working fine now! There is a slight imbalance which obviously can be rectified with the pre-amp or is there another way to address this issue? Thank you for the advice I know nothing about these and once you mentioned it made perfect sense to me because they are active although I was annoyed with myself for not thinking if doing the same
wink.gif

Now I should test the SRD-6 and see if it works ok
smily_headphones1.gif
Thanks Spritzer
smily_headphones1.gif

Feb 23, 2008 at 11:38 AM Post #23 of 33
Quote:

Good to hear. The channel imbalance is hard to fix but the volume knob on the SRM-313 includes a balance control s that is ok in most cases.

Ha ha!! I did not even know that balance control existed! As you know I have not owned them for long and although the headphones had an owners manual the 313's did not so I could do with locating one of them. I have a feeling the balance was not even on the 313's hence the imbalance so that's cool.
Thank you again.... Any ideas where to get an owners manual?

Feb 26, 2008 at 9:52 AM Post #25 of 33
Guess what the SRD-6 is functioning perfect too
smily_headphones1.gif

Thanks God I did not panick and send them for repair somewhere. Knowing my luck they would have done what you sugested and send them back 'repaired' and charged me a fortune!
I realise there is not much to the operation of the 313 but there maybe something in it worth reading
wink.gif

Thanks again for all your help.
What do you think the SRD-6 and SR5's are worth in excellent condition and obviously working now? Can I assume a pair of SR3's are presumably an inferior model? I was thinking the higher the number the better the model?

Feb 26, 2008 at 10:51 AM Post #26 of 33
Quote:

Guess what the SRD-6 is functioning perfect too
smily_headphones1.gif

Thanks God I did not panick and send them for repair somewhere. Knowing my luck they would have done what you sugested and send them back 'repaired' and charged me a fortune!
I realise there is not much to the operation of the 313 but there maybe something in it worth reading
wink.gif

Thanks again for all your help.
What do you think the SRD-6 and SR5's are worth in excellent condition and obviously working now? Can I assume a pair of SR3's are presumably an inferior model? I was thinking the higher the number the better the model?

The SR-5 (presuming it is the original model with silver markings) goes for 100-150$ on eBay but it varies. The SR-3 is older but not really inferior. They are more different then anything else.

Feb 27, 2008 at 7:04 AM Post #27 of 33
Quote:

The SR-5 (presuming it is the original model with silver markings) goes for 100-150$ on eBay but it varies. The SR-3 is older but not really inferior. They are more different then anything else.

Just curious, what about the SR-5 gold edition, what are they worth? I've seen them go for $180 to $275 (depending on transformer). They sound fantastic, and in fact I now own two of them - one with ribbon cable and one with black cloth covered cable. They basically add a little extra sparkle in the treble over the SR-3. While the SR-3 are similar to a stock HD600, the SR-5 gold edition are closer to an HD600 with $350 cable.
eek.gif

Didn't you once say the Gold Edition use the SR-X driver? If so, is that SR-X Mk1,2 or 3?

Feb 27, 2008 at 8:00 AM Post #28 of 33
Quote:

Originally Posted by HeadphoneAddict /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Just curious, what about the SR-5 gold edition, what are they worth? I've seen them go for $180 to $275 (depending on transformer). They sound fantastic, and in fact I now own two of them - one with ribbon cable and one with black cloth covered cable. They basically add a little extra sparkle in the treble over the SR-3. While the SR-3 are similar to a stock HD600, the SR-5 gold edition are closer to an HD600 with $350 cable.
eek.gif

Didn't you once say the Gold Edition use the SR-X driver? If so, is that SR-X Mk1,2 or 3?

It's rather the SR-X Mk3 that uses an updated version of the SR-5 driver (thinner diaphragm) and the SR-5N (called Gold by the German distributor) adapted the thinner diaphragm. Their price is hard to put a finger on but 150-200$ wouldn't be such a bad deal unless it is stacked up against a used 2050 system or a 2010 system.

Feb 27, 2008 at 6:07 PM Post #29 of 33
Are the black and silver SR-40's any good and how old are they please? My friend has just offered me his so what should I offer if I like them assuming they are in good condition. I assume I can use them with my 313's?

Feb 27, 2008 at 8:38 PM Post #30 of 33
They were made in the mid 70's and are electret so not full blown electrostatics. A budget model in their time but sound ok, better then most headphones from that era. You can use the Stax electrets with any Stax amp or adapter, 5 or 6-pin as they don't use a bias voltage to function.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back