HELP! I am about to buy Stax SR-303/SRM-313 Is this a big mistake?
Feb 15, 2008 at 8:41 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 33

QUADGOD

New Head-Fier
I am about to buy a pair of used but barely used Stax as above and just read on an earlier post that the SRD-6 is better than the SRM-13!?
I actaull have an SRD-6 and a pair of SR-5 headphones but one/both units are not working (I was given them and I have been told few parts are available for them?).
So assuming the SRS3030 system I am about to buy is not as good should I try to repair the older set and at least see what is wrong with them?
I get a sound from them using a Quad 606 power amp but only minimal sound at half volume.
The SRS-3030 is £300 and is about 4 years old mint/boxed and barely used.
Any ideas please your help would be very appreciated?

Feb 15, 2008 at 8:57 PM Post #2 of 33
£300 for a 4 year old SRS-3030 is a fair price IMO. I personally regard the 303 / 404 as sweet spot in the Stax line anyway.

Can't put this in relation with your SRD-6 though.

Feb 15, 2008 at 9:11 PM Post #3 of 33
You are facing the a classic trade off with Stax, the energizers (SRD-6,7 etc.) will give you more dynamics at the expense of detail while the amps lack the punch of the energizers. Since you didn't really overpay for them it should be easy to sell them again if you don't like them.

Feb 15, 2008 at 9:16 PM Post #4 of 33
Quote:

Originally Posted by QUADGOD /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I am about to buy a pair of used but barely used Stax as above and just read on an earlier post that the SRD-6 is better than the SRM-13!?
I actaull have an SRD-6 and a pair of SR-5 headphones but one/both units are not working (I was given them and I have been told few parts are available for them?).
So assuming the SRS3030 system I am about to buy is not as good should I try to repair the older set and at least see what is wrong with them?
I get a sound from them using a Quad 606 power amp but only minimal sound at half volume.
The SRS-3030 is £300 and is about 4 years old mint/boxed and barely used.
Any ideas please your help would be very appreciated?

First Post!!

Welcome to head-fi, and sorry about your wallet...

I have the SRD6 self biasing, with SR-5 Gold Edition, and I think my SR-Lambda are just a little better, while my SR-Lambda Signature are a lot better. I have read a lot about the STAX, and I think the SR-3030 system will be better than the SR-5 too, although the SR-5 gold edition (thinner membrane) still sound quite good.

The price on the SR-3030 sounds decent, for what you guys across the pond have to pay.

Feb 15, 2008 at 9:18 PM Post #5 of 33
You're comparing two fundamentally different Stax rigs.

SRD-6 is a normal (low) bias, 70's vintage adaptor for a power amp.
SR-5 is a normal (low) bias, 70's vintage, circular-diaphragm earspeaker.

SRM-313 is a pro (high) bias, almost new dedicated amp.
SR-303 is a pro bias, modern, elongated diaphgragm earspeaker.

From what I understand (not from personal experience), the SR-5 will probably sound better with the SRD-6, and the 303 will sound better with the 313. Both rigs will sound pretty different, but most people would go with the 3030, I think. I know I would.

Feb 15, 2008 at 10:09 PM Post #6 of 33
So if I pay £300 for a mint and barely used SRS-3030 (I think it is the champagne coloured SRM-313 which dates it about 4-5 years I think?Any ideas?) it would seem this is a good deal?
Thanks for all your comments. I still need to know if I can get my SRD-6's & SR-5 fixed because I have not heard them working yet.
There must be someone out there that knows about how easy these are to service and availability of spares etc?

Feb 15, 2008 at 10:33 PM Post #7 of 33
Quote:

I still need to know if I can get my SRD-6's & SR-5 fixed because I have not heard them working yet.
There must be someone out there that knows about how easy these are to service and availability of spares etc?

I do. The SRD-6 is a very basic creature so it could be a single resistor that is blown or out of spec or the transformers are blown. There are no spares available but rebuilding the bias supply would cost some 10punds so nothing expensive here. The SR-5 is different though as there are no spares (except for earpads) but the SRM-313 amp should have a normal socket on it so you can try the SR-5 on it. If it is the culprit then it can be fixed but it's more trouble then it is worth and requires both knowledge and experience.

Feb 15, 2008 at 11:38 PM Post #9 of 33
I just sold a SRM-313 that had 1 pro socket and 1 normal bias socket.
My new SRM-T1 trumps it in all regards but bass control, imo, with my SR-404's. Having said that I thought it was great sounding and bested my previous setup of DV 336i and HD650's.

Feb 16, 2008 at 12:25 AM Post #10 of 33
Quote:

Originally Posted by tensaichen /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I have a SRM-313 and I don't believe there's a normal bias socket on it. Both of the sockets are pro bias I believe.

All amps made after August 2004 are Pro only as Stax finally dropped support for the older standard... only 45 years after they first introduced it...
tongue.gif
There have been some amps that were Pro only before that such as the SRM-1 P-P, SRM-3, SRM-T2 and SRM-717 (both the normal and DM versions).

Feb 16, 2008 at 2:07 AM Post #11 of 33
I'm very happy with my SRM-313 powering SR-404 and I have not heard anything higher than this so I don't know what I'm missing
wink.gif

I could spend more on headphones but would rather invest in a good source and building some nice cables, and filling the gaps in my headphone inventory with some lower priced headphones.

I think you'll get a lot of enjoyment out of it. The price is right.

Feb 16, 2008 at 6:57 PM Post #12 of 33
£300 for a SRS-3030 system in good condition seems like a pretty good deal to me.
The system would certainly be a clear step up from your ^~30 years old SR-5 and SRD-6.

Welcome to Head-Fi!
biggrin.gif

Feb 16, 2008 at 10:47 PM Post #13 of 33
Ok I have just purchased the SRS-3030 system for £275 so I'm happy with that
smily_headphones1.gif

I noticed that the SRM-313 has both the new headphone socket and the old on it so presumably I can plug my old SR-5's into it to test them out?
Thanks very much for all your help dudes
smily_headphones1.gif

Feb 16, 2008 at 11:22 PM Post #15 of 33
Quote:

Ok I have just purchased the SRS-3030 system for £275 so I'm happy with that
smily_headphones1.gif

I noticed that the SRM-313 has both the new headphone socket and the old on it so presumably I can plug my old SR-5's into it to test them out?
Thanks very much for all your help dudes
smily_headphones1.gif

Congratulations!
If the output say "Normal", yes then it will accept the SR-5. The SR-303 are "Pro", and backwards compatible with "Normal".
Normal = 230 volt bias.
Pro = 580 volt bias.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back