Help Hurricane Victims: RedCross.org!!!
Sep 26, 2004 at 7:05 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 9

Gariver

1000+ Head-Fier
Ladies and gentlemen of Head-Fi:

The time to help hurricane victims is now, not five years from now! And you can help with just a little bit of money!

Since the Red Cross was started 123 years ago, there has never been a larger relief effort for disaster victims. At this moment, Florida is experiencing its 4th major hurricane. Think about this! Four hurricanes! Not since 1886 has a state experienced four hurricanes in one year! That's 118 years, my friends! That's more than a century! As you can imagine, the American Red Cross is now running short of funds! They had the necessary funding for one major hurricane, but not for four!

What does your money buy? Here's the answer: Your donation buys food, medicines and shelter supplies. In some cases, the Red Cross will do much more. For example, they might provide a generator for a powerless hospital.

How much to give? You should give an amount that you feel comfortable with. If you are a poor student, you might send a check for around two to five dollars. If you are working, you can give much more. Now, I assure you of this: Once you help the Red Cross, you will feel very, very good about it! You will be helping people that really need your help! In a few words: It's the right thing to do!

http://www.redcross.org

When disasters strike, the Red Cross is there for you!
biggrin.gif

PS: Floridians: Please back me up on this!

Sep 26, 2004 at 8:21 PM Post #2 of 9
Quote:

Originally Posted by Gariver
Since the Red Cross was started 123 years ago, there has never been a larger relief effort for disaster victims. At this moment, Florida is experiencing its 4th major hurricane. Think about this! Four hurricanes! Not since 1886 has a state experienced four hurricanes in one year! That's 118 years, my friends! That's more than a century! As you can imagine, the American Red Cross is now running short of funds! They had the necessary funding for one major hurricane, but not for four!

Understand me right, I think it's great if somebody wanna help out those poor people in Florida and Albama etc., I feel sorry for them too, but it's not like there aren't happening worse things around the globe every day, especially in Africa. I could argue that money would be better spend elsewhere, but that might be me seeing the world from a wrong perspective. I think the US citizens would be able to take care of them self without aid, or at lease better than somebody in the same situation in fx Africa.

However please don't hesitate to help these poor people out, they've had a plenty hard fall so far, but keep in mind you could also help elsewhere.

Personally I'd give the money to WWF (not wrestling
rolleyes.gif
) to use for tigers, or what's left of them. But than again, I'm kinda green
tongue.gif

Sep 26, 2004 at 8:54 PM Post #4 of 9
Hey Jeff, I haven't seen the situation at your place (as in Florida) -- I rarely watch TV so I've pretty much only seen pictures in the paper. I know however this crazy weather have been *****in around with a whole lot of people, of whom I feel very sorry for (all of them.) However I think that the US should be able to take better care of situation by them selves (due to varies reasons) than fx Starving Marvin in some less developed country.

Of course I understand if people would rather support their compatriots before others.

I was joking about the tiger part btw.

While writing this post I've listened to Kashmir (Led Zepp's) twice
biggrin.gif

Sep 26, 2004 at 11:38 PM Post #5 of 9
I send the equivalent of $1000.00 every year to the WWF in India to protect the Royal Begal Tiger. I was an active wildlife photographer and I have written several articles for various magazines.

What I say is - help the people in need - but dont stop there...help the world...save wildlife, trees, water and make the world a better place for future human beings.

To NOT do so is like leaving the toilet without flushing...you dont do this do you? why not emulate this feat on a larger scale...

Sep 27, 2004 at 1:05 PM Post #7 of 9
Quote:

Originally Posted by gsferrari
I send the equivalent of $1000.00 every year to the WWF in India to protect the Royal Begal Tiger. I was an active wildlife photographer and I have written several articles for various magazines.

Hey, I must admit that's respect this very much. They are awesome animals. I have a poster from WWF with a close zoom on a tigers forehead, you can kinda see the eyes, and it says not all tigers have nine lives. I've always been fascinated by them. They're gorgeous animals -- too bad some people think they are gorgeous enough to kill...

Sep 27, 2004 at 4:09 PM Post #8 of 9
My uncle was the curator and chief vet at the Indira Gandhi Wildlife Reserve in south India and I was there every 6 months with a WWF team for a census program. From 1990 (I was 10 years old) to 1998 the census showed alarming decline in the population from close to 150M and 240F down to 21M and 42F (Male Female). From what I hear they are now down to a critical 12M and 30F and no evidence of cubs.

The reserve is in crisis mode and we have artificial breeding programs in place. The day the tigers die will indeed be a sad day for this planet. There is no other cat in the world as beautiful and deadly as the Royal Bengal Tiger.

For those of you who dont know what a tiger looks like :-

tiger2.jpg

tiger.jpg

tiger-far.jpg

cuttiger.jpg

tiger_bt.jpg

tiger1.jpg

An interesting link :- http://greenfield.fortunecity.com/tiger/181/jungle.html

Cheers!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back