Help hooking up my SACD player.
Jul 23, 2003 at 7:24 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 3

Kal525

100+ Head-Fier
I should be getting the Philips SA763 that I ordered tomorrow, but I'm not sure what the best way to hook it up to all my components is.

I'll start by telling you what I have.

Game Theatre XP 7.1 with multichannel out, analog in, digital out and in, coaxial and optical.

Klipsch Promedia 5.1 with 3 mini inputs on the subwoofer receiver

Meta42 with RCA audio in

Sennheiser HD600s

The sacd player has digital out, multichanel out and regular stero out.

I will be using the sacd player to listen to sacds primarily on the HD600s, but also on the promedias.

I think there are a number of ways to hook this up. I was thinking of using the digital out on the sacd player and hook it up to the digital in of the game theatre, but I remember reading that this player won't output sacds or mp3s digitally, which sucks.

Alternatively, i could just hook up the sacd player stero outs to the meta42 directly. I think this would give me the best sound for the headphones rather than going through the game theatre.

I don't think there's any way I can have it so I don't need to change connections around when I want to switch from my headphones to my speakers, b/c i think the only way to hook the sacd player up to my speakers is directly bypassing the gametheatre xp. I could hook up the sacd player to the analog inputs of the gametheatre, but that would only be 2 channel. I think i can directly hook up the sacd players multichannel audio outputs to my klipsch system using rca to mini splitters, but I could be wrong on this.

I'd appreciate any recommendations or corrections you guys have.

Thanks

Jul 24, 2003 at 1:14 AM Post #2 of 3
As far as I know there is no SACD player that will output an sacd stream via digital out. Having SACD only being sent out through the analog outputs is part of its copy protection.

With all that said I would recommend that you connect the stereo rca outs on the SA763 to your meta42 and then connect one of the digital outputs to your soundcard and connect the promedia 5.1 to the soundcard. Thats probably the easiest and cleanest way to hook everything up.

Jul 24, 2003 at 1:36 AM Post #3 of 3
That would work fine for the meta42, but as you said, no sacd player will output an sacd stream via digital out, so that means i would't be able to listen to an sacd on my speakers.

I think i'm just going to have to hook up the multichannel outputs of the player directly to the speakers if i want to listen to an sacd on my speakers.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back