HELP!!!!! Headroom Micro Amp or X-Can V3
Apr 6, 2006 at 3:42 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 9

sambhara

New Head-Fier
I don't know what I should do here. I own a pair of HD-600's i've been driving with a crapy little cmoy amp. I want to invest in a nicer amp, but i'm not sure what to do. $300-$400 is the limit, i think i've narrowed it down to the HeadRoom Micro w/ Desktop chip, or the X-Can V3. I like what i hear from X-Can reviews, but I haven't heard much on the Micro. Have any of you been able to do side by side comparission of the 2? What should i do
confused.gif

Apr 6, 2006 at 5:56 PM Post #2 of 9
I have the Microamp and I am getting X-can V2 at the end of the month. I like them both. There are a different sound.

I use the Microamp at work everyday with my Ipod or Vintage PCDP and mainly my 990s and sometimes 225s. I think this is a warm sounding amp for a SS. My 990s help darken the sound. The 225s are brighter but not super bright.

Last weekend at a meet I was able to try out the X-can with my PCDP and my 225s and some HF-1s. Lets say I liked it enough, that I am working on a trade with my 225s for the X-can, now that I have my newly aquired HF-1s. The X-can is an amazing little amp. It is much darker because of it being a tube amp.

Anyway, sorry if I am rambling. While at the meet I also tried some 595s, 600s, and 650s with a Woo3. I like this combo also. It was very mello.

So to my point. If you like a dark, mello sound than, I think the 600s with the X-can is great. If you want less dark than you will probably want to go with the Micramp.

Either way I think you can not lose. You can always get both.

Apr 6, 2006 at 7:15 PM Post #3 of 9
Well.... I went to my local hifi shop today... asked about what amps they carried... walked out with the X-Can V3, and a pair of Kestrel 2's... Oh man... I think i'm going crazy
basshead.gif
I'll let every one know how the X-Can's sound after the breakin. So far I love em, 100 hours from now, I should be in heavenly bliss... Hehehe

Apr 6, 2006 at 10:53 PM Post #4 of 9
Quote:

Originally Posted by sambhara
Well.... I went to my local hifi shop today... asked about what amps they carried... walked out with the X-Can V3, and a pair of Kestrel 2's... Oh man... I think i'm going crazy
basshead.gif
I'll let every one know how the X-Can's sound after the breakin. So far I love em, 100 hours from now, I should be in heavenly bliss... Hehehe

Nice one, give her a few days and she'll kick in big time! Superb amp IMO.

Mike.

Apr 6, 2006 at 11:55 PM Post #5 of 9
Quote:

Originally Posted by sambhara
... walked out with the X-Can V3, and a pair of Kestrel 2's... Oh man... I think i'm going crazy
basshead.gif

Ah ha! After loosing out on the order I get to say in similar forlorn manner:

Welcome to Head-Fi, sorry about your wallet.
eggosmile.gif

I'll add the customary:

Run! Run now, and hard! Or you may end up back here ordering, say, a HeadRoom amp. No! Don't do it! Run NOW!

Apr 8, 2006 at 1:00 AM Post #7 of 9
One day I will own a Headroom Micro Dac and Amp. Now I have a modified X-Can V3 and it is a wonderful amp. Very dynamic and detailed specially with Sennheisers HD580/600.

In a month or two go to PinkFloyd's website and do the mods, you will be amazed.
very_evil_smiley.gif

Apr 8, 2006 at 11:03 PM Post #8 of 9
Quote:

Originally Posted by mrarroyo
One day I will own a Headroom Micro Dac and Amp. Now I have a modified X-Can V3 and it is a wonderful amp. Very dynamic and detailed specially with Sennheisers HD580/600.

In a month or two go to PinkFloyd's website and do the mods, you will be amazed.
very_evil_smiley.gif

Cheers Miguel, that's very kind of you. The idea of my site and all the tweaks within is that it is a FREE source of information designed to help people get the most out of their equipment at minimal cost, you won't ever see a paypal button there, everything is free and open to all. No agenda, no ulterior motive just plain good old fashioned trying to help people get the best from their equipment.

Unfortunately I've had to place google ads on the site to cover the expense of keeping it afloat but that shouldn't detract from the general information that's on it. There's also a small forum attached where a team of hard core X-heads do their best to help each other and you may find some good ideas searching around the place. Someone has just come up with a third party X-PSU for the V3 which is relatively easy to build, so may be worth checking out.

I'm glad you're enjoying the amp it also gives me a sense of satsfaction knowing that the tweaks have made a persons listening experience a lot more enjoyable.

Enjoy the music and try out some of the other free tweaks.

Mike.

Apr 14, 2006 at 3:18 PM Post #9 of 9
You could certainly do the mods, which I've heard, and sound great, or consider the Channel Islands VHP-1 with or without the VAC-1 upgraded power supply. It's a simple, great sounding solution and I've often wondered why it doesn't seem to get much notice on these boards. I learned more about Channel Islands on some other fine sites and there are many positive reviews including a Stereophile quick comparison between the VHP-1 and X- Can V3, with a slight edge going to the VHP-1 by Wes Phillips. I have the AKG K 701, which the fair majority agree takes quite a bit of juice to power, and there is room and then some. Not trying to stir things up, just relay your options to you. Cheers and happy listening.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back