Help: headphones with smooth, punchy bass - between $80-150
Jul 10, 2005 at 2:02 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 8

korkany

New Head-Fier
Hi there, any help would be much appreciated:

I'm looking for a set of headphones (any style) that deliver the smoothest basslines you can find for between $80-150. Highs and mids are important to, but overall I just want something that has a really clean bassline. I've read a lot about the Grado SR-60 and am strongly considering those. Those are on the lower end of the pricing spectrum so I'd like to hear about some that are a little pricier.

Thanks in advance for your help!

Jul 10, 2005 at 2:15 AM Post #2 of 8
The Alessandro MS-1s have a smooth clear punchy bass, so long as you feed them with an adequate amplifier (I'm guessing even a cmoy would do it, these don't require a lot). They're definately a "rock" phone, however, I continue to be amazed at the versatility of them, even with opera/symphony type music, they really are fantastic.

Without an amplifier, I find them to be a bit "anemic" lacking depth and punch in comparison.

If bass is what you want, a fast amp you need :p (as yoda would say)
faster the better..

Jul 10, 2005 at 2:20 AM Post #3 of 8
Slightly off topic, but where would you get a cheap amp in australia Jasper? The MS-1 bass is good... but not fantastic. I find it slightly lacking in Hip-Hop/Rap tracks, as well as some dance tracks

Jul 10, 2005 at 2:22 AM Post #4 of 8
Quote:

Originally Posted by Mintieman
Slightly off topic, but where would you get a cheap amp in australia Jasper? The MS-1 bass is good... but not fantastic. I find it slightly lacking in Hip-Hop/Rap tracks, as well as some dance tracks

define cheap

if cheap is a cmoy or mint, you could make one. Or buy a mint from http://www.headphones.com.au

(exact url http://www.headphones.com.au/prod_on...ductID=161#top )

if you want something more there are a few diyers who would build you something (hell even I might if given a reasonable offer for my time + parts) that way you get something built to your specs the way you want.

pm me or instant message me if you want a few more details

(I could probably whack together a cmoy for under $40 depending on the chips used)

Jul 10, 2005 at 3:09 AM Post #5 of 8
Quote:

Originally Posted by Jazper
If bass is what you want, a fast amp you need :p (as yoda would say)
faster the better..

The problem is, I live in South Korea and the only 2 amps I've seen are the "Dr. Head" and the "ATH-HA2". I've seen nothing (and know nothing in general about amps) about these 2 amps so I'm not sure if they would do the job or not.

Any headphones that would do the job without an amp?

Jul 10, 2005 at 3:12 AM Post #6 of 8
Quote:

Originally Posted by korkany
The problem is, I live in South Korea and the only 2 amps I've seen are the "Dr. Head" and the "ATH-HA2". I've seen nothing (and know nothing in general about amps) about these 2 amps so I'm not sure if they would do the job or not.

Any headphones that would do the job without an amp?

can you not make a cmoy yourself? or get a friend who is good with a soldering iron to do it?

the ms-1s sound ok without an amp, but to reach their full potential they need one.

Jul 10, 2005 at 3:13 AM Post #7 of 8
K240s or DT770 amped with a govibe.

The ATHA2 is designed for impedences above ~150 ohms. Below that and its poor S/N performance makes it unlistenable... IMHO of course.

Garrett

Jul 10, 2005 at 3:20 AM Post #8 of 8
Quote:

Originally Posted by Jazper
can you not make a cmoy yourself? or get a friend who is good with a soldering iron to do it?

hehe, actually I'm a newbie when it comes to anything involving headphones so making an amp is out of the question. I'd really just like to stick to headphones if I can (minus the amp). Any suggestions? In my history, I've had:

Sony MDR-Z500DJ (bass was decent, but uncomfortable after a while and annoying wires)

Sennheiser PX100 (these were decent overall but when outside noise came in they just lost all bass)

Shure E2C (just bought these. Not my cup of tea at all.)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back