Help: Headphones + Amp for Surround Sound Gaming
Apr 24, 2010 at 6:34 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 14

Mehdi

Head-Fier
I've been lurking this site, youtube and a slew of other forums the past few days. I am blown away from how much information there is in regards to headphones alone!

Background

Goal: Get a Headphone + Amp for Surround Sound Gaming (PC/360/PS3) and Blu-ray / x264 movie watching.

Budget: Adjustable, however I am attempting to stay at $200 total. If another $100 makes a huge difference, I may consider it.

Current Headphones: Sennheisser 280 Pros. Had them since 2005, and aside from a recent tear in the foam cups ( my fault ), this company has proven to me their products last.

What I "know" so far:

I have entirely thrown away the idea of getting A40s, X11s, and a bunch of others.

Amp
It appears that 'amp/dac'-wise I am best to get the MixAmp. Truth be told, I don't know of any other alternatives to this. For sake of knowledge seaking, I would be interested to learn about competitors.

I'm just going to throw this out there... but can't I use my PC to do the same thing the MixAmp does if I get a sound card with Optical-in? If so, how would it compare to the MixAmp? ( of course, I would lose portability but that's not of concern )

If it helps, I am currently running a computer with a Realtek ALC889A audio chipset.

Headphones
I am currently looking at the HPX, PC-350, and AD700, as they both very easily fit into my budget. For reference, both of these headphones are about $80-120 online.

The AD700 I am already looking to take off the list since I understand that the bass just isn't there for movies.

The PC-350 also apparently has a problem with base, but can be modded. What I understand is, it uses the HD-595 'cans'... for $120 ( versus $180 ).

HPX... I'm still wondering.

So...

So, as you can tell, I am still researching. However, I wanted to finally take this opportunity to hear what you folks have to say. I really can't wait to hear your advice! Thanks

Apr 25, 2010 at 12:33 AM Post #4 of 14
You have two serious options.

1.) Mixamp + Headphone of choice. The Mixamp alone is $130.

2.) Tritton AX720 + Headphone of choice.

This setup already comes with a gaming headset, which is slightly worse than the A40's. It brings an amp like the Mixamp that uses Dolby Headphone, and you can use other headphones, like the Mixamp. It's also cheaper. It's $130 for the amp AND headset.

As for headphone choice:

AD700. Easily the best option, and keeps total price to around $220 with either option above. Best soundstage for the price, and clarity for serious gaming. For gaming, you CAN'T go wrong with these. There is no better option for anything less than $200 headphones.

HPX: The BEST headset for the price, and with the mixamp (and most likely the AX720 amp), it is considered to be MUCH better than the A40's. It ONLY uses two drivers in each cup in Dolby Headphone mode, and leaves out the 'subwooofer' and center channel. I hear it sounds better than when it utilizes all speakers (which can only be done on a PC)

Apr 25, 2010 at 1:41 AM Post #5 of 14
Quote:

Originally Posted by Mad Lust Envy /img/forum/go_quote.gif
You have two serious options.

1.) Mixamp + Headphone of choice. The Mixamp alone is $130.

2.) Tritton AX720 + Headphone of choice.

This setup already comes with a gaming headset, which is slightly worse than the A40's. It brings an amp like the Mixamp that uses Dolby Headphone, and you can use other headphones, like the Mixamp. It's also cheaper. It's $130 for the amp AND headset.

As for headphone choice:

AD700. Easily the best option, and keeps total price to around $220 with either option above. Best soundstage for the price, and clarity for serious gaming. For gaming, you CAN'T go wrong with these. There is no better option for anything less than $200 headphones.

HPX: The BEST headset for the price, and with the mixamp (and most likely the AX720 amp), it is considered to be MUCH better than the A40's. It ONLY uses two drivers in each cup in Dolby Headphone mode, and leaves out the 'subwooofer' and center channel. I hear it sounds better than when it utilizes all speakers (which can only be done on a PC)

I never really considered using the Tritton AX720. Good point! However, I think the major drawback is that the amp with the Tritton is AC-powered which kills it for me. Since I wouldn't be using the Tritton headsets anyways, the relative cost is the same for me.

I'm just a bit confused by your wording. It sounds like you are saying both the AD700 and the HPX are 'the best'
smily_headphones1.gif
Can you please elaborate just a bit.

In either case, have you tried those two models with movies? What is your take, since I've heard that their bass levels aren't that good.

P.S. Can I has DT880
atsmile.gif
I've actually been half-tempted to jump the gun on these, since it sounds like they could easily last me 5 years. However, I think it may get bottle necked by my current source.

Apr 25, 2010 at 1:46 AM Post #6 of 14
AD700s is the best headPHONE, whilst the HPX is the best headSET. Headsets are usually inferior to headphones in sound quality, but make up for it for ease of use, already comes with a mic attached, and simply does it all without any more costs.

I mean best in the price range.

I haven't heard the HPX myself, but I know plenty of people who vouch for it with the mixamp. It trades off soundstage for more bass when compared to the AD700. Both are great at positioning.

Apr 25, 2010 at 1:48 AM Post #7 of 14
Quote:

AD700s is the best headPHONE, whilst the HPX is the best headSET. Headsets are usually inferior to headphones in sound quality, but make up for it for ease of use, already comes with a mic attached, and sinmply does it all without any more costs.

I mean best in the price range.

I haven't heard the HPX myself, but I know plenty of people who vouch for it with the mixamp. It trades off soundstage for more bass when compared to the AD700. Both are great at positioning.

Ah, I see. I never realized there was a difference until now. Thanks dude, this information will definitely be of help!

Apr 25, 2010 at 2:32 PM Post #9 of 14
Mad Lust Envy:
Word. How do you like those 880s for gaming /movies by the way ( w/ the MixAmp ). Is it noticeably better then your AD700s?

AudioCats
Perhaps I may do that. I also considered jumping to the Sennheisher 595s as well, because unlike the Beyers, refurb 595s can be had for half the price due to there being a ton of them out there.

Apr 25, 2010 at 3:23 PM Post #10 of 14
Quote:

Originally Posted by Mehdi /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Mad Lust Envy:
Word. How do you like those 880s for gaming /movies by the way ( w/ the MixAmp ). Is it noticeably better then your AD700s?

AudioCats
Perhaps I may do that. I also considered jumping to the Sennheisher 595s as well, because unlike the Beyers, refurb 595s can be had for half the price due to there being a ton of them out there.

The DT880s are awesome, and an obvious upgrade to the AD700s, but not one I'd advise for most people, as it's incredibly expensive, for a small boost in overall quality. I however found it necessary to go this route as I just couldn't take the AD700s fit/comfort anymore. The DT880s feel awesome, and sound awesome, so I decided the jump to the DT880s was worth it.

The AD700s have a bigger soundstage, but the DT880s do everything else better.

I was actually gonna get the 595s as a replacement to the AD700s since they were most definitely gonna fit/feel better on my head, but I heard the AD700s sound better for gaming. I didn't wanna spend double the price of my AD700s for inferior sound quality.

Apr 25, 2010 at 3:31 PM Post #11 of 14
Quote:

The DT880s are awesome, and an obvious upgrade to the AD700s, but not one I'd advise for most people, as it's incredibly expensive, for a small boost in overall quality. I however found it necessary to go this route as I just couldn't take the AD700s fit/comfort anymore. The DT880s feel awesome, and sound awesome, so I decided the jump to the DT880s was worth it.

The AD700s have a bigger soundstage, but the DT880s do everything else better.

I was actually gonna get the 595s as a replacement to the AD700s since they were most definitely gonna fit/feel better on my head, but I heard the AD700s sound better for gaming. I didn't wanna spend double the price of my AD700s for inferior sound quality.

Sorry for the ton of questions, but how about 770 versus 880. I'll be testing these two out personally, but wanted to hear your take anyways.

With the MixAmp, how do the two compare for movies and games ( my two primary focuses )

Apr 26, 2010 at 7:49 AM Post #12 of 14
Sorry for the late reply.

The DT880s sound like they are MADE for gaming. They are incredibly clear and easy to pinpoint enemies, whilst the DT770s are a bit too bass heavy for competitive gaming, but they are more fun than the DT880s when you're playing a campaign or single player games. They both have great positioning, but the DT880s are the clear winner if you want gaming headphones. They obviously sound more 'open' so there is more depth in your surroundings with the DT880s.

I myself use the DT880s mainly when playing online, and use the DT770s for everything else. I prefer more fun and bass impact when I play alone. I know it sounds like I'm contradicting myself, but if I had to choose only one over the other, the DT880s are superior for most needs.

Thankfully, I don't have to choose, as I have both.

In short:

Games: DT880 (more depth of soundstage, and clarity, for the serious gamer)
Movies: DT770 Pro (more bass, and fun. The DT770s give you a movie theater-like sound)

Apr 30, 2010 at 5:14 PM Post #13 of 14
I ended up picking up a HPA2 ( HPX w/ PC Amp ) and MixAmp. I figured I would rather take the cheaper route, and over time, upgrade slowly as I see fit. Plus, I then have extra $$$ to buy a Forte. Beyers will have to wait until I'm ready.

Thanks for all the help!
beyersmile.png

Users who are viewing this thread

Back