Help! HD580 & Zhaolu D2 not what I expected
Jul 19, 2006 at 4:43 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 4

audioneophyte

New Head-Fier
Hi guys!

Well, I thought I was done with purchases for the time being after acquiring a pair of Senn HD280s, a Zhaolu D2 (CS4398/discreet amp) and now a pair of Senn HD580s, but it doesn't seem like it ...

I was just about ready to sell the 280s but thankfully I asked a high enough price that no one bought them, because it would have been a huge mistake.

The Zhaolu D2 & discreet amp really did "fix" the HD280s for me. The "missing" bass came in strong and there is a lot of detail, I thought the HD580s would be the same but better, boy was I wrong.

I plugged them (580s) in and immediately learned what the infamous "veil" is all about. They sound almost muffled, bass response is poorer than 280s (I was just listening to Indochine's J'ai Demade a La Lune and the 280s bass "kicks" while the 580s is very faint.). The 280s just sound clearer overall and are definitely a better experience, at least for any sort of "aggressive" (rock/metal/bass heavy?) music.

Did I simply expect the wrong thing from the 580s? Is this the difference between open and closed phones?

Or am I reaching the limits of the Zhaolu built in amp with the 300ohm impedance?

What's particularly interesting is that the HD580s require quite a generous turn of the volume dial to reach an acceptable volume, furthermore, after halfway on the volume dial, you can clearly hear buzzing/hissing from the Zhaolu unit using the HD280s (with no music playing), but with the HD580s it is dead silent all the way to max.

Are these 580s really that hard to drive?

I really enjoy the comfort, open design, and looks... but the sound is a bit disappointing.

Edit: Perhaps disappointing is the wrong word, let's just say they don't seem to be really universally suitable for all music.

Jul 19, 2006 at 4:50 AM Post #2 of 4
Thats just how they sound. Veil is an understatement... more like a wet wool blanket, with a hole cut out for the tweeter.

They do need aggressive amplification and detailed source though. I liked my HD580 much more when I listened to it with a senn-voiced M^3. I do enjoy my HD580, when I just want something relaxing to listen too... and Im not picking apart details in my head. They make for good background music while www surfing.

hard to drive? No.
hard to drive well? Yes they can be. If you choose amplification/source/source material wrong you end up with a muddy mess. Choose wisely and you can be rewarded, although I dont think they can ever be as forward, bright and snappy-quick as a well amped grado or sa5k.

Jul 19, 2006 at 4:59 AM Post #3 of 4
Having listened to HD650's through the discrete amp in the Zhaolu, I have posted that while I can tell that the higher impedance challenge and voltage swings in the HD580/600/650 poses somewhat of an audible challenge to the discrete amp in the Zhaolu it does a pretty darn good job driving them but I've heard better from amps designed to deal with the higher impedance cans. Based on your description I'd be inclined to say you are hearing more of the HD580's sound signature than the Zhaolu's ability to drive them. I listened carefully to the HD650/Zhaolu discrete amp combo and it's mainly with complex music that has dense passages where you hear the Zhaolu's slight inability to handle them with the ease and finesse of amps designed to drive those cans. The Zhaolu sounded quite good actually most of the time with them and did not muffle or subdue the sound as if it couldn't deal with them. It drives them quite well actually. Drives them like the very best and amps optimized to drive them? No. I will say, as I have said before, this amp is excellent with Grado's.

If you have never heard the HD580/600/650 before it is of my opinion you are hearing the signature that these cans are known for that some call a "veil" which as you likely know if fiercly debated. But if you are used to a can that sounds brighter and has a more open treble/midrange then these cans do they can come off as sounding veiled or somewhat strained and do require a good crank on the volume dial to achieve a louder and livlier sound.

Jul 19, 2006 at 5:04 AM Post #4 of 4
Thanks for the reply.

Just for clarification, I do not totally dislike the way they sound (and they do seem to have a thing for classical pieces). I do find their laid back nature (much more so than the 280s) beneficial to some applications, but they are simply not what I expected, not necessarily in a 100% bad way, but I was quite surprised.

I will give them a few weeks of listening before making any more decisions/purchases.

Sigh, I guess it's off to Grado land in the future, argh ... I'm going broke.

Edit: To put it bluntly I need help figuring out if it's new-amp-time or buy-SR225-time.

Edit 2: I think the best way to describe my problem with the 580s is that they seem to subtly smoothen out everything in an "airy" sort of fashion, which is great, but I want something closer to goosebump inducing piercing musical reproduction
smily_headphones1.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back