Help guide a audio noob in the right direction (under $300 headphones)
Jun 13, 2014 at 8:02 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 3

Multivac

New Head-Fier
^Greetings all, I am new.

I'm trying to figure out what headphone would suit me best, I have very little to no experience with high-end audio or "Audiophile" gear and setups. I have listened to all my music for the past couple of years on a pair of cheap TDK IEMs, EB410's to be exact, that have served me well for the past couple of years but i'm looking to upgrade from audio peasant status.

I would prefer an open, full-sized, over the ear headphone that will play well with a wide variety of genres. There are too many sub-genres for me to list but I mostly listen to Electronic (Drum & Bass, Jungle, Ambient, Breakbeat, Experimental etc.) Rock (Psychedelic, Hard, Alternative, Grunge + more.)  I've recently gotten into some blues and classical music, lovin dat Bach. But the majority of the music I listen to is Electronic. So please point me in the right direction.

I'm aware that the headphones suggested may need a amp and would benefit from a DAC but that's a discussion for another time. At least I think so.

I do not care for comfort, brand and aesthetics/style I only care for sound quality.

BTW I live in Australia which means that there are not many physical stores that I could go to try out a pair of headphones in person before I purchase them and the stores that do have a limited selection.

Thank you for taking your time to read this and any help you may offer.

Jun 13, 2014 at 8:18 AM Post #2 of 3
Hey man,

First off, what's your budget for the headphone in mind or/and for an amp and a DAC? Next, off the top of my head, I think the HifiMAN HE-400 may fit you since I've heard it's wonderful with electronic music.

However, we also need to know what you like in a headphone. For example, do you prefer a more bassier headphone or a warm, midrange centered headphone? It all depends on your preferences.

Garraty

EDIT: Disregard the budget question.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back