Help grow my headphone collection (over-ear suggestions for rock music in the $200 range)
Jan 14, 2014 at 8:20 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 2

thievesarmy

100+ Head-Fier
Hello all,

I'm looking for some suggestions to help grow my headphone collection and experience more in the world of hi fi. I'm mainly looking at over-ear closed-back models, as most of my listening is done at work in a cubicle setting, so isolation is important, BUT I would consider open-backed since all of my other headphones are closed, and I have yet to experience any open-backed 'phones. Price range is around $200, but I know there are many great models that are a small step up in price (HD 600, DT 880, AD900, and PSB M4U 1's were some that I have been looking at), so if the best option is to just save up and spend more on those, then I'm OK to do that. 

I currently own Sony MDR-7506's which I keep at work and are my most used cans, and I also have the MDR-1R's (I love Sony design). My work rig is a MacBook Pro > Audioquest Dragonfly > Schiit Vali > MDR-7506's and I am pretty happy with it. The 7506's are good, but as I'm new to the world of Hi Fi, I would like to experience more and see what else is out there.

I generally listen to rock music - Indie, Classic, Alternative, Electronic-influenced, whatever qualifier you want to put on it, it's all in the Rock category. Another factor that is pretty important to me is comfort - 

As I mentioned, I have been looking at the following -

Senn HD 600
Beyer DT 880
ATH-AD900 
PSB M4U-1

Even just some thoughts & insights about which out of these I might enjoy the most would be appreciated. That said, I'm completely open to any new suggestions.

Additionally, I have been reading about the Grado SR80i's, which could be a good set of inexpensive open-backs to try out and see if I like, without spending a ton. Then there are the models like the Brainwavz HM5 / NVX XPT-100's which are well reviewed and fairly inexpensive (around $100). They seem to do well in the comfort category, and are praised for being 'neutral' - although I'm not entirely sure what that means. I am curious about these 'phones but feel some reservations about them… maybe it is because they don't seem to get mentioned as much around here, or because they're made by companies that aren't all that big or well known in the hi-fi world. I also wonder if these are too similar to the headphones that I already own. Not sure tho.

I think that's about it. Like i said, would love some thoughts or idea's about where to go next. Thanks in advance!

Jan 14, 2014 at 10:29 PM Post #2 of 2
Hmm, well, from your list I have only heard the Senn HD600. I liked them - they did a lot things very well and nothing really wrong. I think I might add the AKG Q701 to your list - it is semi-open and quite nice (IMHO). I would really like to hear the PSB M4U-1 - it is an interesting and relatively new 'phone from a old & well-respected audio company. There was a time when the Canadians were considered to have many GREAT audio companies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back