HELP! Grado SR125i silent in one ear
Oct 30, 2015 at 1:57 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 6

ldaa

New Head-Fier
Hi Guys, I recently bought a pair of SR125i's on ebay. First off, I love them, they're easily the best cans I've ever owned. They were a bit damaged during shipping, the seller left them in the thin cardboard box and they got crushed or something in the post. One phone had a rattle to it (creased diaphragm), I complained to the seller and didn't get far because ebay is useless etc..
I ended up fixing it by blowing into it from one side then the other and it worked great for a while... Eventually the rattle came back and I tried fixing it in the same way and it just got worse
frown.gif

It ended up being really awful and ratttling then almost silent with the occasional rattle. Eventually it became completely silent and I can't fix it
mad.gif
. I tried taking it apart, I couldnt get the front grille off but I removed the mesh and removed the creases from the back. Still no luck though.

Does anyone know if it's repairable? I've searched the forums and can't find anyone with a similar problem (complete silence not just rattling). Have I broken the wire leading to the coil?
I'm really bummed these were amazing cans, if it's not repairable does anyone have another broken pair of SR125i's I can buy one of the cans from?

I hope someone can help, thanks folks!

Oct 30, 2015 at 10:48 AM Post #3 of 6
If you want to take them apart it's easy. The 2 halves are just held together with hot glue. Then you can check the wiring. But sending them to Grado is probably your best bet.

Oct 30, 2015 at 8:26 PM Post #4 of 6
Thanks for the response guys!!
I'm in Australia so postage there and back plus repair is almost the price of a new pair. Plus I enjoy fixing things myself if I can
tongue_smile.gif

I have taken them apart to see what the problem is, the solder is still intact, and I've tested the jack to the solder spots with a multimeter and they're connected so that's not the issue. I even played sound only into the broken channel and bridged that to the working one to see if signal was making it to the solder points of the broken speaker and it is, so the problem is somewhere between that and the diaphragm.
Is it possible the voice coil has been knocked out of its little groove or is it more likely the little hair of a wire has snapped?

Will Grado even repair them after me having taken them apart and played with them so much? I've removed the front mesh, opened 4 of the rear vents up ans cut holes in the foam pads.

Nov 1, 2015 at 1:34 AM Post #5 of 6
  Thanks for the response guys!!
I'm in Australia so postage there and back plus repair is almost the price of a new pair. Plus I enjoy fixing things myself if I can
tongue_smile.gif

I have taken them apart to see what the problem is, the solder is still intact, and I've tested the jack to the solder spots with a multimeter and they're connected so that's not the issue. I even played sound only into the broken channel and bridged that to the working one to see if signal was making it to the solder points of the broken speaker and it is, so the problem is somewhere between that and the diaphragm.
Is it possible the voice coil has been knocked out of its little groove or is it more likely the little hair of a wire has snapped?

Will Grado even repair them after me having taken them apart and played with them so much? I've removed the front mesh, opened 4 of the rear vents up ans cut holes in the foam pads.

It's possible the voice coil wire was pushed off. At that point you don't have much luck getting it back together. You could always try to find just the driver and fix it yourself. 

For future reference, ebay is almost 100% on the buyer's side. If the box was truly damaged and the item not working, you should have not tried to repair them and gone through ebay to get a refund. 

Nov 6, 2015 at 6:07 AM Post #6 of 6

It's possible the voice coil wire was pushed off. At that point you don't have much luck getting it back together. You could always try to find just the driver and fix it yourself. 

For future reference, ebay is almost 100% on the buyer's side. If the box was truly damaged and the item not working, you should have not tried to repair them and gone through ebay to get a refund. 

Yeah I'm worried thats what happened when i tapped it.
Oh well I'll either fix the thing or destroy it completely trying. Has anyone ever peeled off that back metal plate with the two holes from the driver?

I think it may be too late for trying to get money back from ebay, it worked just long enough for the sale to disappear into the woodwork, I can't even leave nasty feedback now heh.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back