Help! Grado died 50% (with pics)
Jul 24, 2008 at 10:59 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 18

apatN

Headphoneus Supremus
Hi all,

I'm afraid I have some bad news
frown.gif

When doing my recable on my MS-1 one of the plastic things where you are supposed to solder the wires to has come of. Probably because of all the violence it has seen to get the cup open. However the actual thing happened when I tried to solder the wires.

100_3850.jpg

This is my good cup. Everything is working properly here.

100_3849.jpg

This is the victim. You can see the plastic thing is missing.

100_3852.jpg

Just another pic to make things a bit more easier to see what the problem is. I know the blue wire is a bit messed up atm.

I have absolutely no idea how it's going to make contact to the driver. I suppose there is some sort of lead from the top-plastic to the driver. That's probably why there is some sort of gum there which can be seen in the pics.

I hope you guys can help me with this one as I like the Alessandros a lot. I also thought of buying just one MS-1 cup, is this possible somewhere?

frown.gif

Jul 24, 2008 at 11:26 AM Post #2 of 18
Too bad, ApatN! I fear this driver is dead, as the coil wire is destroyed.
frown.gif

Surely a solveable problem, but it may take a while until everything is organized. If I was you, I'd send an inquire for a spare driver both to Alessandro and Grado, but I guess Grado is the better option. Pray that they send the correct driver, as the Grado empoyee morale isn't exactly what I would call prussian.

**thinks**

Looking at shipping costs and exchange rates, you better order another MS1. I doubt that this would be more expensive than an exchange driver, but million times quicker.

Good luck!

Jul 24, 2008 at 11:57 AM Post #3 of 18
frown.gif

I got to think things over then. I really really really :)P) like the Alessandro but I also want something better. I'm thinking of DT880'03/HD650/K701 but I also wanted to hear the MS1000.

I'll give it some more time however. If it is broken, do try to fix it
wink.gif

Jul 24, 2008 at 1:25 PM Post #4 of 18

In the red circles, are there wires?
There should be the actual wires going to the driver.
If you can see them, I suggest you ask a pro if he can reconnect the soldier pad you lifted off.

And no, I am not going to apologise for my drawing skills
biggrin.gif

Jul 24, 2008 at 1:47 PM Post #5 of 18
Sorry to say but that driver is likely trash now as the super-thin coil leads have been broken and do not appear to be exposed. Even if the ends were exposed the chance of a repair are pretty slim. I know because I did a similar thing once trying to accomplish my 3rd or 4th re-wire.

The cure?
Send them back to Grado Labs who will repair them for a flat charge of $40, which they charge for any repair not under warranty.

Jul 24, 2008 at 3:20 PM Post #6 of 18
frown.gif

I don't see any wires. I guess this thing can't be fixed anymore. I'll send an email to Alessandro/Grado regarding the options for fixing it or else I think I'll go with a DT880'03
wink.gif

Jul 24, 2008 at 4:50 PM Post #7 of 18
Quote:

Originally Posted by apatN /img/forum/go_quote.gif
frown.gif

I don't see any wires. I guess this thing can't be fixed anymore. I'll send an email to Alessandro/Grado regarding the options for fixing it

unless you could perform 'micro-surgery' on it (unwind part of the coil to get new leads, reattach them to the terminal block and re-glue it to the driver), which is unlikely to be successful, that would be your best option . . . .

although now might be a good tie to consider an upgrade
rolleyes.gif

Jul 24, 2008 at 5:09 PM Post #9 of 18
Quote:

Originally Posted by Germania
If you would like, I could gladly take them off of your hands.
I do some of this kind of repairwork on small electronics, I I might be able to do something with them.

He's Dutch, shipping costs would probably exceed any DIY advantage. But good to know for owners of vintage gear though.

Jul 24, 2008 at 5:10 PM Post #10 of 18
Quote:

Originally Posted by NiceCans /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The cure?
Send them back to Grado Labs who will repair them for a flat charge of $40, which they charge for any repair not under warranty.

Does Grado definitely provide that service for Alessandro headphones too?

Jul 24, 2008 at 5:13 PM Post #11 of 18
Well Alessandro isn't even a 'real' brand. They're Grados as well.

And thanks a lot Germania but as nickchen said I'm Dutch so that won't work.

I sent an email to both Alessandro and Grado, inquiring about my options but haven't got a reply yet. Well, with such a big company I should give it some time.

Jul 25, 2008 at 9:49 AM Post #12 of 18
Just a little update. I got a reply to my email to Grado Labs:

Quote:

Repair charges would be $30.00, and shipping costs would be $30.35.
Please return them to our factory address listed below and include
a short note explaining all.
Thanks so much.

Regards,

Grado Labs
4614 7th Ave.
Brooklyn, NY 11220

I think I will get them repaired by Grado. 60USD is like 40EU so not that expensive. I don't like the fact to ship them to the USA however. Shipping costs would be 30.35 but I don't know if I have to pay that twice. Let alone the customs when I would get it back. I had to pay 42EU for just two pairs of GS1K pads..

Has anyone got some experience with Grado Labs repairing?

Nick.

Jul 25, 2008 at 11:32 AM Post #13 of 18
Quote:

When I had mine repaired I only paid shipping in one direction, they paid for shipping back to me once repaired. I do not live in Europe, but I expect they'd do the same. You could always send another email to be certain.

Jul 25, 2008 at 12:00 PM Post #14 of 18
Quote:

Just a little update. I got a reply to my email to Grado Labs:

I think I will get them repaired by Grado. 60USD is like 40EU so not that expensive. I don't like the fact to ship them to the USA however. Shipping costs would be 30.35 but I don't know if I have to pay that twice. Let alone the customs when I would get it back. I had to pay 42EU for just two pairs of GS1K pads..

Nick.

You will still have to post the phones to Grado, i.e. additional expense on top of the quoted amounts from Grado. I would guess the total cost to roughly equal the price of a brand-new MS-1 from Alessandro...

Jul 25, 2008 at 12:06 PM Post #15 of 18
i'm afraid that a repair will cost you more than a new headphone, 60$ to grado labs, shipping to the usa will cost at least another 15-20$...and when the package returns...it may happend that the customs charge some taxes....you'd better get a brand new ms1...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back