Help from "cool" members of the forum, can for a 16 year old
Dec 1, 2006 at 10:53 PM Post #31 of 49
OK - if we are going for something that isn't "over the head", and we still want it to actually sound good, have a nice amount of BASS, and supreme comfort for extended listening sessions, the KOSS sportapro is the clear winner. As a bonus, the headband can go either behind the head, OR over the head. Also, they have a no questions asked, lifetime replacement policy which can't be beat. The cord is considerably shorter than the Grado cord. Considering your criteria, it really is a no brainer. Especially considering the fact that they sound pretty damn close to Grado SR-60s and can be had for 20 ish dollars:

B00001P505.01.LZZZZZZZ.jpg

Good luck trying to find a 'Streetstlye' headphone in that price range that is anywhere even close to sounding as good.

Please someone try to top that suggestion while meeting all of the criteria of the OP.
wink.gif

Dec 1, 2006 at 11:06 PM Post #33 of 49
few headphoens I can think of look legitimately cool in the absolute sense. I'd say the ATH-ES7, I think that's it, the mirror one they make, looks genuinely cool. The MDR-D66SL also looks cool, but if your son's trying to fit in, people still may be critical; high school kids can be real pricks. If you want something that just looks fairly normal but sounds great, I'd say the Koss KSC55 (or, on eBay, the BKH3) looks good, and it should sound pretty close to the SR60, though not quite as detailed. Not to mention it's really cheap nowadays, so if you wanted to get him something else cool on the side (like some music), you'd have some cash left over.

Dec 1, 2006 at 11:09 PM Post #34 of 49
Quote:

Originally Posted by Aman /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I don't know if this will help any, but I'm a 21 year old college student in NYC and I've only gotten compliments when I walk around with Grado headphones on. Everybody I know thinks they look awesome!
smily_headphones1.gif

same here except im 19. i just dont like the open-ness of the grados when walking around, but for that sound quality, i'll do anything!

Dec 1, 2006 at 11:21 PM Post #35 of 49
Quote:

Originally Posted by Marco2 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
In the UK at any rate, retro stuff has a big following and to many youths is todays "cool".

Yep, it's called "Old School"
smily_headphones1.gif

And kids love Old School stuff. :p

I second the Vibes for coolness factor.

I second the Sony EX90's for the Bass factor.

I think headphones might be too distracting if he takes his iPod to school, but that's just me.

P.S. The EX90s and Vibes are not IEMs.

Dec 2, 2006 at 12:52 AM Post #36 of 49
What about Audio-Technica's ath-ck7?
I think these earphones are "uber cool".

And that's exactly the reason why I bought them
wink.gif

PS
You can read about them here or here.
And you can buy them here

Dec 2, 2006 at 2:11 AM Post #37 of 49
Another vote for the K81DJ. Copious amounts of bass..and conveniently closed for outdoor listening. Plus, chicks dig'em.

Dec 2, 2006 at 3:59 AM Post #38 of 49
I'm 16.

I think the k81 djs look cool.

Ksc75s look cool.

(i think grados look cool but im weird like that, i dont mind people staring, he might)

senn hd 280s DO NOT LOOK cool.

i would say the ksc75s are the best....portable, sound pretty good.

streetstyle used to be cool, but as previously mentioned cannot be worn while laying down. my favorite time to listen to music is becoming right before sleep

Dec 2, 2006 at 4:42 AM Post #40 of 49
Hey, I happen to be 16 as well. I can understand some people might think the Grado's look silly, but I like the look and the sound. If, for whatever reason, he doesn't want to wear SR-60's around, show him the Sennheiser PX100. KSC-75's are very cheap and good too. Consider the AKG K81DJ too, that's a quite
basshead.gif
phone. If he doesn't like the SR-60's, then take what I say with a grain of salt, though, because I love how the SR-60's look.

Seconding the Panasonic RP-HTX7's, too.

Have you asked him if he minds how the SR-60's look?

Dec 2, 2006 at 5:03 AM Post #41 of 49
Quote:

Originally Posted by spaceconvoy /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Most of you guys (except Blueiz and The One) are completely off base. You have to understand that for today's youth, any over the head headphone is totally uncool. V-moda Vibe is the correct answer.

I'm 17 and I think the Vibe looks horrible.

I'm not a big fan of trends, but the trend here is to have a DJ-style headphone around your neck or on your head as you walk across campus. I haven't seen anyone in my university of 22000+ students with IEMs. Perhaps it's a Canadian thing
rolleyes.gif

Dec 2, 2006 at 8:03 PM Post #42 of 49
17 and you're already in University? That's pretty impressive! :b

In any case I'm not sure about the rest of Canada but here in Ottawa most teens prefer earbuds or behind-the-neck streetstyle headphones. I think earbuds are the most preferred because of the iBuds craze and their relatively small size which can easily be left hanging on their shirt's collar when not in use. Too bad 99% of them sound terrible so I'm quite happy touting a full-sized headphone around.

What I suggest is that you take all the suggestions here and select a couple which resemble the SR-60s in sound signature and just show your son pictures of them and ask him which one he would like. Just don't tell him which one's more expensive
wink.gif

Dec 2, 2006 at 9:22 PM Post #43 of 49
Here in Toronto most people I see on campus have full-size headphones. I guess it depends on which university you're at. But some of my classmates do say my headphones look cool.

Dec 3, 2006 at 2:32 AM Post #44 of 49
Full-sized headphones really depend on whether you can pull it off. Generally if you have a good build (i.e not scrawny) you won't look dorky wearing a full-sized.

Dec 3, 2006 at 2:38 AM Post #45 of 49
people in my school wear those bose things *shudder* and i personally think it looks like a big pile of crap. giant blue protruding things with a thin headband connecting them. grados are much more sexier IMHO.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back