Help from "cool" members of the forum, can for a 16 year old
Dec 1, 2006 at 6:44 PM Post #16 of 49
If it were me, I would tell my son that whatever sounds the best to him and gives him the most listening pleasure is what's cool. What anyone else thinks about product appearance is irrelevant.

While style can be a part of the listening experience, it should never take the place of the enjoyment of the music itself.
icon10.gif

Dec 1, 2006 at 7:55 PM Post #20 of 49
Get him the iGrado or AKG K27i....

If he digs camoflage, the ATH-Pro5 MS...
basshead.gif

Dec 1, 2006 at 8:19 PM Post #21 of 49
iGrados or V-Moda Vibes

Dec 1, 2006 at 8:27 PM Post #22 of 49
Thanks for all of the responses.

A couple of additional points. He doesn't like IEMs, so they are out. I have the PX100 and PX200s so I will let him give those a listen to see what he thinks of them. This will also allow me to get some feedback on supra-aural cans. I am already planning on getting another set of buds for him to use when he runs or is doing his warm-ups before his athletic endeavors, so the cans I am asking about will not be used for those applications. He is getting a nano for Xmas also (shhh! Its a surprise
blink.gif
), and I think he will use that with the buds.

I will try and feel him out about behind the head cans. One issue with the SR60s is that the cable is too long for some uses and it is relatively thick for use with an iPOD. Yes, I know that I can reterminate it, but it would be nice not to have to do that. He will probably use this can with his 5G iPOD.

Any additional thoughts based on the above information is most welcome.

Dec 1, 2006 at 8:37 PM Post #23 of 49
First off, the V-moda Vibe isn't really an IEM. They have those Sony EX81 -style rubberized ear piece thingies that aren't inserted deep in the ear like an IEM.

If he likes the Grado sound signature and wants a behind the head headphone, then you could get him a KSC-55. Do NOT get him the iGrados, they are beyond ugly.

Dec 1, 2006 at 8:53 PM Post #25 of 49
MDR-EX90. Pretty bassy IMHO. Pair it with a warm amp circuit and its like a subwoofer inside your head.

Plus IMHO it looks super cool with the brushed aluminum.

Leather carrying case and 3 different size tips... its one of the few cans I own that (for the general public) actually LOOK like how much they cost. heres some eye candy for you, with my favorite PCDP as a back-drop.

TEAM SONY!!!

dscn76264do.jpg

My favorite TRS connector, its Sooo tiny.
dscn76276hk.jpg

dscn76187wx.jpg

Dec 1, 2006 at 8:59 PM Post #26 of 49
Well recently I've seen someone post a head to head of ATH CM7Ti vs Sensaphonics 2X-S and the reviewer thought the CM7Ti was better
eek.gif
!

Isn't that the "best" earbud out? It has been said that the bass on the CM7Ti can be very deep and musical. I've never heard it though.

If you can stretch it to $126, you can find one on ebay, alternatively, google for cheap deals.

For sports, doesn't Sennheriser make those green ones that clip on?

Dec 1, 2006 at 9:06 PM Post #27 of 49
Im 17 and I had the B&O A8 which many of my friends commented on looking cool. They suited me fine until last week when the wire broke and they wanted to chage me £60 for a replacement; but if this doesnt happen then I think they look like one of the coolest out there. Also never heard them but what about some of the audio technica clip ons.

Dec 1, 2006 at 9:16 PM Post #28 of 49
Quote:

Originally Posted by The-One /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Well recently I've seen someone post a head to head of ATH CM7Ti vs Sensaphonics 2X-S and the reviewer thought the CM7Ti was better
eek.gif
!

Isn't that the "best" earbud out? It has been said that the bass on the CM7Ti can be very deep and musical. I've never heard it though.

If you can stretch it to $126, you can find one on ebay, alternatively, google for cheap deals.

For sports, doesn't Sennheriser make those green ones that clip on?

I found the CM7 (non Ti) to be severely bass-defficient. Below 80Hz dropped off a cliff. Their treble was recessed too compared to the forward mids. The owner of the cans whole heartedly agrees with my impressions... so I dont think its a placebo. Maybe its a poor fit issue I had with them, but at any rate, I would have a hard time recommending the non-Ti version to a bass-head.

Dec 1, 2006 at 9:17 PM Post #29 of 49
How about the Technics DH1200? They're better quality than the Sony V700, and sounds better too IMO. The bass can be quite strong if you use the Bass Booster setting on the iPod. And oh yeah, they look cool too!!

Dec 1, 2006 at 10:46 PM Post #30 of 49
Well, I gave the PX100 and 200 to try and he put them on and went off to workout. Behind the head cans are OK, except when he lays down to listen. I will let you know what he thought of the senns. He did say that he preferred a shorter cable than the one on the SR-60s.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back