Help from any guitar people?
Feb 24, 2014 at 4:42 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 5

rsgladwin85

100+ Head-Fier
Hey All,

I realized this probably isn't exactly a subject exactly meant for this forum.  There are however I know some people here in the Head-Fi community, that are also guitarists.  I just purchased a new guitar from Monoprice that was purchased with the intent to be a "project guitar".  

Essentially my goal is to make this $100 guitar, sound as stellar as possible and compare it with others of similar and more expensive price points.  I picked up some new caps and pots and a new 5 position switch, along with new pickups, and of course some good nickel strings.  One things I didn't pick up was some wire.  The question I have for everyone here is to whether or not some wire that I have laying around would be good for such a project.  I have several feet of Canare 4S6 Star Quad, which has 4 x 20 gauge conductors.  Obviously I'm not going to try to cram the entire cable in.  What I'm thinking is to remove the outer sheathing and use just the 4 strands.  Are there any flaws to this idea?  Any other advice anyone can offer?  

Thanks all for your time and help.

Edit: (Forgot to mention that I also bought a new 1/4" jack)

Feb 24, 2014 at 11:17 PM Post #2 of 5
I don't see any reason not to use that wire.

I think the pickups are the only thing that will make a real difference to the sound, unless the pots have gone scratchy already.

What will make a difference is the way the action is set up, the string height (nut and bridge adjustment) string height above pickups, neck curve (truss rod adjustment), string length (bridge position) Go look on a guitar site if you don't know how to make these adjustments. You can really screw the guitar up by hamfisted meddling with the truss rod - you have been warned.

W

Feb 24, 2014 at 11:31 PM Post #3 of 5
Thanks W,

I'm not sure if the pots will change the sound.  I have heard that the capacitors can make subtle adjustments to the tone.  They might be one of those debates similar to wires for headphones.  I have read in several places that strings can make a difference, besides I've read the stock ones that come with that guitar are garbage, so I just picked up some pure nickel ones.  I definitely don't think it can hurt to put higher quality components in, whether or not it will help any area remains to be seen.  I will most likely just change the electronics and strings, and let a luthier handle everything else as I do not want to "screw" anything up, lol.

So do you think it would be beneficial to get a better wire nut?  If so do you have a preference in material, and why?  I have heard that bone is really good, but have never used bone.

RSG

Feb 25, 2014 at 12:00 AM Post #4 of 5
I have used canare star quad and it works fine.  My guitars are so simple though, its just humbucker coils in series, a pot and the jack.

Don't forget intonation too... a million times easier on a fixed bridge.  darn near impossible on a floyd floater.
Good luck on your project.  post back with pics too!!

Feb 25, 2014 at 12:06 AM Post #5 of 5
  I have used canare star quad and it works fine.  My guitars are so simple though, its just humbucker coils in series, a pot and the jack.

Don't forget intonation too... a million times easier on a fixed bridge.  darn near impossible on a floyd floater.
Good luck on your project.  post back with pics too!!

Good to know.  Saves me from having to buy more wire if I don't really need to.  

As far as the bridge.....I'll stick with something as simple as possible now, lol.  I will take before, during, and after photos once my work is completed.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back