HELP! Freakin' Computer Problems
Mar 29, 2009 at 8:44 AM Post #16 of 21
Quote:

Originally Posted by Ingo /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Sorry guys, I haven't had time to get on a computer to write back.

My computer is a custom build.

MSI Neo4 platinum (K8N mainboard)
1 GB Ram
AMD Athlon 64 3000+

then it is a Desktop computer. for PC desktop to get into the bios the default are usually "Delete".

So press the 'Del' button when you turn on the computer, it will access to the bios screen. In the bios settings you can find a way to make it so the cdrom boot ahead of the harddrives.

Mar 29, 2009 at 2:17 PM Post #17 of 21
Quote:

Originally Posted by obobskivich /img/forum/go_quote.gif
what you'll wanna change in the BIOS is the option for "USB Keyboard Support" from "OS" to "BIOS" (it won't change a thing in the OS, it just forces the BIOS to handle I/O for the KB when you're booting, so you can enter bootorder and all that hoopla)

/highly technical term-usage

Some BIOS do have it labeled in very slightly different wordings though, I have used some before that used the word legacy in there, for example. Also it may not have the values "OS" and "BIOS"; on my UD3P, for example, it's just "enabled" and "disabled".

It's fairly simple though, I don't think there'll be any problems. This would very likely be the fix for your problem. If it's disabled, or set to OS, or anything like that you won't be able to press any key to install windows.

Quote:

Originally Posted by terrymx /img/forum/go_quote.gif
then it is a Desktop computer. for PC desktop to get into the bios the default are usually "Delete".

So press the 'Del' button when you turn on the computer, it will access to the bios screen. In the bios settings you can find a way to make it so the cdrom boot ahead of the harddrives.

Considering Ingo was able to take HDD off the boot-list, I think he probably already knows how to get into the BIOS
wink.gif

Mar 30, 2009 at 1:34 AM Post #18 of 21
Quote:

Originally Posted by Deathsnapper /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Yes, this should work. If it's not an option try checking for a "legacy USB support"/"legacy USB keyboard support" or something similar to that in the BIOS; it might also work if it's an option. I had a similar issue a few months back after a BIOS update.

Quote:

what you'll wanna change in the BIOS is the option for "USB Keyboard Support" from "OS" to "BIOS" (it won't change a thing in the OS, it just forces the BIOS to handle I/O for the KB when you're booting, so you can enter bootorder and all that hoopla)

/highly technical term-usage

Quote:

Originally Posted by Deathsnapper /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Some BIOS do have it labeled in very slightly different wordings though, I have used some before that used the word legacy in there, for example. Also it may not have the values "OS" and "BIOS"; on my UD3P, for example, it's just "enabled" and "disabled".

It's fairly simple though, I don't think there'll be any problems. This would very likely be the fix for your problem. If it's disabled, or set to OS, or anything like that you won't be able to press any key to install windows.

Considering Ingo was able to take HDD off the boot-list, I think he probably already knows how to get into the BIOS
wink.gif

Thank you all very much for helping me out. I addid do a BIOS update after the last time I reinstalled Windows. The USB keyboard option was disabled. The funny thing is I probably passed over that option several times while looking for a solution in the BIOS.

There's always something out there that will make you feel like a NEWB again.

Head-Fi is awesome!

Thanks again...

-Ingo

Mar 30, 2009 at 6:00 AM Post #20 of 21
Quote:

we need a "laugh out loud" smiley
icon10.gif
L3000.gif

@ Ingo:
I assume you've fixed the problem now?
icon10.gif

Yes I did. Thank you for your help, sir!

I'm now running a squeaky clean copy of XP Pro. I should reinstall more often.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back