Help for the headphone challenged
Mar 20, 2009 at 6:06 PM Post #16 of 29
I had some fun with Paintbrush:

Untitled-3.gif

Mar 20, 2009 at 6:55 PM Post #17 of 29
May I add, depending on whether the CJ can be used as a power amp or not, i.e. can it bypass its built in preamp section, then use pre-out from headphone amp (perfect, good sound for both headphone and speakers systems). If that is not possible, then use the tape out from headphone amp (i.e olblueyes' solution) but this may degrade sound in speakers system due to all the extra looping/cabling.

Alternative, one could use a DAC/headphone amp, this way speakers speaker may even benefit due to updated digital source. The only catch is that one has to find an unit that is good at both DAC and headphone amp function.

Another option is to use CJ tape out to connect to headphone amp but this may result in headphone amp getting a warm CJ sound.

Mar 20, 2009 at 7:30 PM Post #19 of 29
Maybe it is using some type of passive preamp or something, no idea. Check instruction whether there are comment re: tubes used for the pre section. If there is tube for pre section then it isn't passive. Easiest is look at the back to see what inputs/outputs there etc and also look at the instrustion manual.

As for the amp description - lots of "sales talk" BS to avoid the word "integrated amp"... not surprise noone understand. Bottom line is they are still making pre/power.

Mar 20, 2009 at 8:28 PM Post #20 of 29
The more I read about the CAV-50, the more it seems like a bad idea to eliminate the integrated preamplifier
redface.gif
, it seems to be a really nice piece of equipment.
Do there exist headphone amplifiers that have un-amped output, sort of just bypasses the analog signal and keeps it at line level?

Mar 20, 2009 at 9:06 PM Post #21 of 29
I think Air Tight (and maybe Jadis) do something simialr - passive pre can be quite nice. They both sound good. CJ is nice, I used to use their gear too (pre/power).

As for tape-out, yes, my Rudistor RPX33 do that. It bypass volume control. And it also has a pre-out as well if you want to use it as pre-amp.

Mar 22, 2009 at 1:44 AM Post #22 of 29
Thanks

The Stello looks great but it's a bit more than I want to spend.

After doing some research I'm looking at the Gilmore Lite or the Woo Audio 3+. Any thoughts?

Since my speaker amp is pretty decent, do I have to worry about the pre-amp becoming the weak link in the chain? In other words is a $400 pre-amp going to dumb down my speaker sound?

And since my speaker amp is tubes would I be defeating that by placing a solid state pre-amp in front of it?

Thanks again
Kevin

Mar 22, 2009 at 2:00 AM Post #23 of 29
If you go for a Woo Audio 3+ Jack could maybe help you out with the necessary outputs.

Send a mail to Woo Audio and ask. It seems like a WA3+ with a passive pre out would suit your existing system.
The WA3+ is also supposed to be a pretty good match for grados, Except maybe GS1000.

Mar 22, 2009 at 2:14 AM Post #24 of 29
I haven't tried either of those amp so cannot comment.

However, I have a look at pics of both amps. I don't think they can be used as pre-amp (someone correct me if I am incorrect, thanks). The Gilmore has a loop out i.e. CD to Gilmore and loop out to CJ. Given the longer journey and cables etc, chances are connecting this way will have effect on your speaker system....

Now if instead, you use the tape-out from your CJ and connect to Gilmore, this way will not affect your main speaker system. It probably affect your headphone system though. How much it is affected I have no idea. You might get some CJ sound which may or may not be bad thing.

As for opinion re: both of those amp, best thing to do is search the forum for reviews threads. Also PM some of the members who own the product(s).

limpidglitch is correct, contact Woo Audio's Jack and maybe he can add a pre-out as an option. Whether it is any good, noone know. But generally pre/power is stronger than integrated, assuming the pre-amp is reasonable.

Also check couple of things: 1/ Does your CJ has pre-input or not, i.e. can it bypass pre section and used as power amp? You can contact CJ to get the answer; 2/ Make sure the impedence on the headphone amp is fine with CJ (50 kOhms), check with Woo, Gilmore and CJ.

Mar 22, 2009 at 5:08 AM Post #25 of 29
Woo Audio is known for being able to do some customizing on at least the higher models, so my idea was that Woo might have a good idea on having the line split, one going to headphone amplifier and the other bypassing as much as possible to keep a clean line level signal on its way to the CJ.
I'm by no means any expert, but if anybody were to know if it's possible, its Mr. Woo.

Mar 22, 2009 at 6:43 PM Post #26 of 29
Thanks again to everyone for all their time and effort.

As I say everyday at work, "why is everything so complicated". I keep thinking back to when I bought my system. I asked the salesperson where the headphone jack was. He gave me a condescending look and told me "Sir, with this system you won't ever want to use headphones again." And he was right to a point. I mean the CDP is average, the CJ is real nice, but the Diapason speakers are out of this world. I highly recommend them if you are into speakers at all. People's jaws drop whenever I turn it on. Except for one imbicile who listened for about 5 seconds and said "dude, you need to get a graphic equalizer". Anyhow, I never imagined adding headphones would wind up being so complicated (or costly).

Anyhow, sounds like my next step is to research the preamp in the CJ and talk to Mr. Woo.

Thanks again!

Mar 23, 2009 at 5:15 AM Post #27 of 29
Quote:

Originally Posted by Not2Not1 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Thanks again to everyone for all their time and effort.

As I say everyday at work, "why is everything so complicated". I keep thinking back to when I bought my system. I asked the salesperson where the headphone jack was. He gave me a condescending look and told me "Sir, with this system you won't ever want to use headphones again." And he was right to a point. I mean the CDP is average, the CJ is real nice, but the Diapason speakers are out of this world. I highly recommend them if you are into speakers at all. People's jaws drop whenever I turn it on. Except for one imbicile who listened for about 5 seconds and said "dude, you need to get a graphic equalizer". Anyhow, I never imagined adding headphones would wind up being so complicated (or costly).

Anyhow, sounds like my next step is to research the preamp in the CJ and talk to Mr. Woo.

Thanks again!

Just tell Jack to make sure you get a "Line-Out" instead of a "Preamp-Out" so you can use the preamp section on your CJ for your speakers. OR, what I would do is ask Jack to install some RCA out's and a switch so you can listen to the Woo or bypass it all together. Coloring the sound before it gets to the CJ just doesnt sound like a good idea. On the switch Position one could be inputs feed the Woo amp and position 2 could bypass the amp and go directly to the RCA out's. Hell that would be easy to do, any builder or DIY person could do that for you.

Mar 23, 2009 at 7:20 AM Post #28 of 29
Quote:

Originally Posted by olblueyez /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Just tell Jack to make sure you get a "Line-Out" instead of a "Preamp-Out" so you can use the preamp section on your CJ for your speakers. OR, what I would do is ask Jack to install some RCA out's and a switch so you can listen to the Woo or bypass it all together. Coloring the sound before it gets to the CJ just doesnt sound like a good idea. On the switch Position one could be inputs feed the Woo amp and position 2 could bypass the amp and go directly to the RCA out's. Hell that would be easy to do, any builder or DIY person could do that for you.

Thinking the exact same thing, just a simple toggle switch.

Mar 23, 2009 at 7:34 AM Post #29 of 29
Quote:

Originally Posted by limpidglitch /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Thinking the exact same thing, just a simple toggle switch.

I dont know why I didnt think of it before but that would keep the two amps seperate, as much as possible, Sounds like the easiest solution as well.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back