help for computer as source $100-$500
Oct 14, 2006 at 12:32 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 19

canadiandude

Head-Fier
Essentially im an engineering student and I dont have time to spend researching what I want to buy. What I want is something I can listen to my AT-A900LTD's with, probably an optical or digital coax as well just for kicks!
Im gonna assume this will either be firewire or a soundcard but again I really dont know what is out there, I just want the best possible sound going from my computer box to my ear holes given its $100-$500, heh heh! unless you can convince me otherwise... *shifty eyes*
Thanks in advance to everybody with their extensive knowledge (i know thats spelled wrong but im lazy)!

Oct 14, 2006 at 1:09 AM Post #2 of 19
I got a chance to borrow a Zhaolu D2 (without upgraded headphone amp) to try with my LTD's and I thought they had a really wonderful synergy.

If you don't want to break the bank, get a Chaintech AV 710 sound card run the optical out to a D2, and you should be set. That shouldn't run you more than 300 or so.

my 0.02 cents

Oct 14, 2006 at 1:28 AM Post #3 of 19
If you're using Windows XP, the RME Digi 98/6 PAD is a very nice choice.

It's drivers are very simple, all outputs are simultaneously active, and it bypasses Windows Kmixer. I find it to be a very good match for iTunes on a Windows XP machine (can even select WAV out only in Quicktime options).

There's one on eBay for $99 opening bid auction:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...MEWA%3AIT&rd=1

smily_headphones1.gif

EDIT: one thing to note is that the RME's DirectSound drivers are only emulated, so sometimes you get garbled output when using the Directsound option. I've had no problem because I use my mobo's integrated sound for general purposes and Windows sounds and the RME for music and home theater.

Oct 14, 2006 at 2:16 AM Post #5 of 19
What is the difference between Zhaolu D2A and Zhaolu D2C (except $50)

is it worth the extra for the CORDA HA-2 MkII (it appears they are on sale)

how does the RME Digi 98/6 PAD compare to above

Im assuming the first and last set up allows me to connect toslink to my home-theater setup which would be a bonus

thanks for the ideas so far... I was looking straight at sound sound cards!

Oct 14, 2006 at 2:51 AM Post #6 of 19
The D2A has the AD1862 whereas the D2C uses the CS4398 chip which is highly regarded.

I can't comment on the others as I haven't heard them but Meier's line up are highly regarded here. Although if you do a search you may find people have had good results with the D2 and the A900LTD's.

You can run the optical line out from the Chaintech to your A/V receiver. There's a write up here somewhere where you can flash the BIOS on that sound card to a Prodigy one and get easier bit perfect output.

Oct 14, 2006 at 6:16 PM Post #7 of 19
I couldnt help but notice the Zhaolu D2.5 http://www.ifiaudio.com/d25.html
is the difference that it is better but sacrifices XLR's (which if they are volume controlled on the D2 may be usefull after a headphone upgrade)

is this the Chaintech AV 710 http://www.ncix.com/products/index.p...ECH%20COMPUTER

Im starting to get some ideas now! looks like I will need 2 optical outs on my soundcard. BTW Is there such thing as a 50' optical cable? dirt cheap? because I want to run one to my reciever

-OR-

get PCI/USB/firewire device with 1 optical out to external headphone amp.

-OR- firewire headphoneamp?

Oct 14, 2006 at 8:09 PM Post #8 of 19
Yeah that was the cheapest price I found in Canada as well, from NCIX. As far as two connectors, I think some of the higher end Xi-fi cards have dual optical outs, or maybe one of the E-mu lineup. Not too positive on that.

Yeah you can get a 50 footer (or even longer here) for $32.20 USD: http://www.lifatec.com/Lifusa_patchcords.htm

They're based in the US, didn't see an international option. Could just email them and inquire.

The the 2.5 doesn't have balanced XLR but comes with a discrete headphone output stage as standard. The volume control on the D2 is only for the headphone out, the rest are line level outs in the back I believe.

Oct 14, 2006 at 8:59 PM Post #9 of 19
I am surprised nobody has mentioned the new X-Meridian soundcard from Auzentech. This card has Coax and optical and if you get the expansion board has dual inputs and outputs. The specs are very impressive. Better than a X-fi from what I have read.
www.auzentech.com
have a look. It may be what your looking for. Hoe this helps.

Oct 14, 2006 at 10:13 PM Post #11 of 19
I would get an ESI Juli@:
http://www.djdeals.com/egosystemsJULI@.htm

And I would get the Pacific Valve DAC-AH HA! just because it is new and I don't think any other head-fiers have it yet. I have one on order and judging by the specs it looks REALLY good:
http://pacificvalve.us/LTDACAHHA.html

I would stay away from anything from Creative or Auzentech, unless you play a lot of games. While the Auzentech cards may be better than the X-fi I really doubt they would be any match for an E-MU 0404, ESI Juli@, M-Audio Audiophile 192, E-MU 1212m, etc...

Oct 15, 2006 at 3:26 AM Post #12 of 19
the DAC-AH HA! is non-oversampling right whereas the Zhaolu D2.x does oversample. now from what i understand this is somthing that is highly debated amongst audio enthusiasts (such as myself, why else would i be here!). In my eyes I see the theory behind oversampling being adventageous, now whether or not the theory lives up to its expectations im assuming is dependant on the quality of the implementation. Now I read on the DAC-AH HA!'s page that it allows "(Dynamics, Timbre)" being a NOS, would anybody say that the Dynamics or Timbre on the Zhaolu is somewhat lost in the upper frequincies?

now, assume I had the money to by the Upsampler(Im making sure not to confuse upsample with oversample) with the DAC-AH HA! im assuming this works because the DAC-AH HA! uses a DAC which can process signals up to 768kHz, would the DAC in the DAC-AH HA! still have a brick wall lowpass filter at the Nyquist frequency of 22.05? defeating the purpose of the above process.

I ask these questions as somebody who has just entered the wonderous world of expensive audio and just wants to know just what it is he is buying.

Oct 15, 2006 at 3:34 AM Post #13 of 19
oh ya does ASIO help attain a bitperfect (or close to) output or does that just reduce system resources and put the burden on the audio card?

are there bitperfect (or close to) PCI, USB, or Firewire widget things with optical outs if so are an ASIO?

or will ASIO mostly help with realtime previewing/creating pieces in FL Studio?

Oct 15, 2006 at 12:57 PM Post #14 of 19
ASIO provieds low-latency direct access to the sound card and bypasses the KMixer and any other form of software resampling.

As for oversampling, as I understand it, all it does is help reduce jitter. And jitter is EXTREMLEY low on the ESI Juli@'s digital out.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back