Help for choosing Inner-ear Earphones Sony vs Shure
May 2, 2008 at 3:43 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 11

Kyon

New Head-Fier
Currently im using Sony MDR EX85,i couldnt get the fit right even after adjusting and changing bud sizes.The noise isolation was crappy(Important because i study at fastfood Restaurants).

Im deciding between these:-
SONY MDR-EX700SL
Shure E3c or E4c (I tried my friend's E3c and it isolated noise really really well,is there much difference between E3c and E4c in sound quality?)

Can i say that a E3c is same as a SE310?Or is the SE versions much much better?

And my Budget is around $250.

And is there any site from the sponsors here that is situated in Asia so i dont have to pay too much for Shipping?

Thanks in Advance

May 2, 2008 at 8:53 PM Post #2 of 11
Quote:

Originally Posted by Kyon /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Currently im using Sony MDR EX85,i couldnt get the fit right even after adjusting and changing bud sizes.The noise isolation was crappy(Important because i study at fastfood Restaurants).

Im deciding between these:-
SONY MDR-EX700SL
Shure E3c or E4c (I tried my friend's E3c and it isolated noise really really well,is there much difference between E3c and E4c in sound quality?)

Can i say that a E3c is same as a SE310?Or is the SE versions much much better?

And my Budget is around $250.

And is there any site from the sponsors here that is situated in Asia so i dont have to pay too much for Shipping?

Thanks in Advance

hmmmm those sony buds are really nice. i dunno about the fit tho. they are a little weird. but you can't go wrong witht he shures period. they will have much better isolation than the sony hands down.

i suggest trying them both out b4 you buy but i vote for the shure.

May 2, 2008 at 8:53 PM Post #3 of 11
I'd say neither. Both of cable quality issues (that mainly are do to how your skin oil reacts to the cables) Do some searching on these forums.

For $250. Maybe something form Ultimate Ears, I have heard they are good, or livewires?

May 2, 2008 at 10:22 PM Post #5 of 11
Quote:

Originally Posted by intoflatlines /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Stay away from ALL Sony IEMs. The lower end Shures are not worth the money either. My old E3c is outperformed by my girlfriend's SF3 Studio.

I would save up and try the SE530 and/or TF10.

Hmm...

I would generally agree with you re Sony IEMs... The EX700s are a little different though...

I have all three of the IEMs you mention, and am planning to do a little comparison in the next few days... I won't cast judgement at this time though...

May 2, 2008 at 10:33 PM Post #6 of 11
Okay. You can actually get the SE530s for about $330 from an authorized dealer with full warrenty. Get them. Im not too sure about the trip.fis as I have only had a couple hours listening to a brand new pair no break in. I do have the SE530s and I have to say that im very happy with them.

May 3, 2008 at 9:52 AM Post #7 of 11
I wont be able to do any testing in my country(Which doesnt carry these higher end phones,or are selling them at extorting prices) so the best i can do is wait for reviews and try to import them within my region in asia.

About why MDR EX-700 is because i happen to see it and i thought the huge frequency range means higher quality earphones and how grand sony made it by emphasising on the their worlds largest IEM drivers?,as i was reading some posts here,i saw that someone in a post said that Sony boasting their inaccurate high frequency range.

And about shure is because ive seen like averaging 200+ 4 to 5/5 Star reviews+comments on e3c in sites like Cnet.And that i tried my friend's Shure E3c.

To Duncan:Will be looking forward to your review!
To qspeedss:As hard as i searched,most shures are from US,and shipping would cost a whopping average of 50 USD to asia,but thanks,i will consider waiting for SE530s.

I have a burning desire to own a pair of good 1s so badly now i cant wait.The most im able to get now is around 200 to 250 USD.
If im able to wait 2-3 months after i get my 1st month's part time pay after my exams this month,i will definitely get myself the SE530 everybody recommended.If im cant last that long,i dont know what im going to do.....get an E3 or 4c or the sony EX700s?

Does the push to hear thingy work well?or do people usually remove it since its detachable?

And i saw another thread saying g that i have to "amp" the SE530?What is amping?I cant find the term on the glossary thread either.

Thanks for the replies and everyone being patient with me. ^_^

Im using a crappy Creative Zen V Plus with mostly 128bps mp3s and a few at 320 so i wonder if it would be an overkill to get such ultimate earphones.Planning to upgrade it to clix by end of the year.

May 3, 2008 at 3:45 PM Post #8 of 11
[on soapbox] The inner ear is not where one places transducers unless you are getting cochlear implants. [/soapbox]

No offense intended. I just want to promote use of standard terminology for the common good. We now return you to your normally scheduled thread.

May 3, 2008 at 9:16 PM Post #10 of 11
Quote:

Originally Posted by qspeedss /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Okay. You can actually get the SE530s for about $330 from an authorized dealer with full warrenty. Get them. Im not too sure about the trip.fis as I have only had a couple hours listening to a brand new pair no break in. I do have the SE530s and I have to say that im very happy with them.

$330 from an authorized ??? can you tell some names? Thanks

May 3, 2008 at 10:04 PM Post #11 of 11
I would say to get Customs if you have that kind of cash.

Look into the LiveWires and the FreQ ( Tour De FreQ - dual driver with removable cables) or the SuperFreQ ( Triple driver w/ permanent cables).

There are a lot of people who are happy with either company. My experience has been very positive.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back