Help for choosing a DAC - Schiit NAD or Cambridge Audio
Mar 28, 2015 at 5:24 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 6

pldelisle

Head-Fier
Hi all! I just discovered this very nice forum and I wanted to ask my few questions as I'm quite a noob in computer audio compared to a lot of people I read here !

So first, here is my situation.

I already own an Asus Sonar Essence STX board ( http://www.asus.com/ca-en/Essence_HiFi_Audio/Xonar_Essence_STX/ ). In the past, I though it was a nice board. In fact, it was, but the more I read posts on this forum, the more I think this board is nothing at all !

Well, it served me quite good for the past 3 years. I enjoy listening music. But the fact is, I'm only an engineering student with not that much to spend on equipment, but that loves good quality products and doesn't hesitate to spend a few more to really get the best bang for the buck.

So, as I said, the Asus board served me well, but the computer it actually sits in is being transformed into a server (I'm avoiding useless details here, I'm also an IT guy). So I have to sell it.

Since this computer will never be able to output any sound anymore, I'm looking for a good DAC to plug in my MacBook Pro Late-2013.

My other sound equipment is : 

Sennheiser Momentum headphones : http://en-us.sennheiser.com/over-ear-headphone-momentum-stereo . I love them. It let me listen to music on the go with my iPhone while still push an incredible sound when connected to my current DAC.

Onkyo TX-8255 amplifier : http://www.onkyo.ca/Products/model.php?m=TX-8255&class=Receiver . It feels nothing compared to some people's amp here, but does the job for now. But for 350 $, it was a nice buy back in the days. Still, I know I'm far away from "real rig"...

Polk Audio Monitor 30 Speakers. Again, I though I had good speakers before reading this forum ... ! Still, it does the job and I like them for 250 $ speakers. 

What I mainly listen to : 
All kind of music. I have a lot of MP3 files, WAV 24-bit/192 KHz, FLAC ... I also like to stream music from internet music services (Spotify and Slacker).

So, I need a DAC to replace my sound card with headphone amp. The Momentum are only 16 ohms impedance. Not really a big deal for a headphone amp. 

I first found the Cambridge Audio DacMagic Plus. I read some threads here but the appreciation from this DAC is really mitigate... It is an upsampling DAC. Some agree with this technology, others violently disagree. Can't figure out what to think about this DAC. 

I then found the NAD 1050 DAC, but while some where really happy with it, others were completely bashing this DAC with firmware problems and poor headphone output...

And then I found the Schiit BIFROST DAC. It doesn't feature upsampling and seems to be just about "Pure sound. Final." But doesn't integrate an headphone output and is quite expensive in Canada with the exchange rate :frowning2: 

And there is also DSD format which I didn't know before reading this forum. I'd like to keep an eye on this and buy something that is compatible. 

Since my MacBook Pro has a 192 KHz TosLink output (the late-2013 and above are 192KHz), why not chose a DAC that can be 192 KHz... I might get an Apple TV too, so maybe I would use the MacBook via USB and the Apple TV via the Toslink output. 

So, that being said (excuse me for the long text), which DAC would you recommend me ? I'm totally open to any brand. I want something that will last forever (or kind of). I made a mistake with my internal sound card 3 years ago and I don't want to make another mistake with the new stuff I'll buy.

Thank you very much and have a nice day !

Mar 29, 2015 at 12:46 PM Post #2 of 6
The STX is a very good sound card. Don't expect miracles with a much more expensive DAC/headphone amp for your headphones. You'll get some improvement due to the fact that the STX is not optimal for low impedance headphones.

An Audio-GD NFB-15 is a good DAC/headphone amp with line outs to go to your Onkyo.

There is no advantage to upsampling music. In fact, upsampling music can result in less accurate reproduction of the music. So I wouldn't worry about that.

Just out of curiosity, how do your headphones sound plugged into the Onkyo when its connected to the STX vs. how do the headphones sound connected to the STX? If better, could be the cost effective way to go is just to get a DAC and use your Onkyo as the headphone amp.

Mar 29, 2015 at 7:22 PM Post #3 of 6
You say STX is not optimal for low impedence headphones like my Momentum. Does an amp like a Schiit one would be better in this case ?

I did the test you proposed me with the headphones directly plugged into the receiver. Unfortunately, there is a difference, and not positively. The sound is richer, more vivid and deeper when my Momentum and directly plugged into the Asus board. The receiver lacks high frequencies on the headphone output, which I do not notice when the output is on the speakers. More, I'd need to run a 50' cable from the receiver to my desk because I mostly listen to music while programming or making homeworks.

Maybe the Momentum are not "audiophile" grade like some other Sennheiser, but I needed something all around that I could listen onto my iPhone in the train or metro while still outputing a beautiful sound when plugged into my STX.

I've looked at the DAC you proposed... Quite frankly, I'm not sure about it ... Chineese stuff... I'd rather buy something from Schiit which is built in USA or engineered in England with Cambridge Audio.

Any other recommendation?

Thank you very much!

Mar 29, 2015 at 8:29 PM Post #4 of 6
You say STX is not optimal for low impedence headphones like my Momentum. Does an amp like a Schiit one would be better in this case ?

Optimal is for an amp to have a low output impedance 1/8 (more is fine) than that of the headphones you will use with it. STX is ~10 ohms.

I've looked at the DAC you proposed... Quite frankly, I'm not sure about it ... Chineese stuff... I'd rather buy something from Schiit which is built in USA or engineered in England with Cambridge Audio.

Your loss. Some of the best audio equipment comes from Chinese companies these days. I prefer not to pay more myself.

Mar 29, 2015 at 9:19 PM Post #5 of 6
Ok thanks. Both Schiit Magni 2 Uber and Asgard 2 are lower than the STX. Magni has 0.2 ohm output impedance while asgard has less than 2 ohms, which is fine with my Momentum. 

The DAC you proposed might be good. In fact, I'm sure it is good since you seem to have a lot of experience on this forum, but I prefer spending a little more and encourage an american business. 

What do you think about Schiit products ? 

I'm buying something that can last for the next 5 years minimum, maybe 10, who knows. And I'm looking for something that will scale with other headphones than my Momemtum too.

Mar 30, 2015 at 12:57 PM Post #6 of 6
As of now, that would be my order :

Asgard 2
  1. Plug Type: USA Plug
  2. Voltage: 115VAC

Bifrost
  1. Plug Type: USA Plug
  2. Voltage: 115VAC
  3. Analog Stage: Uber Analog
  4. USB Input: With USB Gen 2 Input

Wyrd
  1. Wyrd AC Adapter: 115VAC USA Plug