Help for a noob!
Nov 6, 2013 at 3:28 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 8

Outpost31

New Head-Fier
Right, I'm new to all this audiophile stuff. But have been reading loads on this forum for a while.

Basically I'm going to treat my ears this birthday to something better than my current setup.
Just need some advice before taking the plunge.

The headphones I've been looking at are both the Sennheiser HD650 and the Beyerdynamics DT990 Pro.
Will be used on my PC (ASUS Mobo, no soundcard) for gaming/music, I play all kinds of games. Listen to mostly Metal (Opeth, Mastodon, Bathory, Immortal).

I'm aware i'd need a decent amp/dac to run them through, so was considering the TubeMagic D1.

I like my music to sound thick and warm, like you're basically sucked into it. Not a fan of anything high pitched and screechy.
As for the gaming side, positional awareness is a key factor to me.

Any advice would be greatly welcomed, as I'm quite the noob when it comes to all of this.

Cheers, Jimbo. xoxo

Nov 6, 2013 at 4:28 PM Post #6 of 8
I'm also a metal guy and have been using the Grados sr325i with an Asus essence stx soundcard for the past couple of years. Absolutely love this set up for metal. I also have the sennheiser hd598 but rarely use them, and I actually lent them to a friend since they just collect dust.

Nov 7, 2013 at 12:47 AM Post #8 of 8
Poor because of the comfort level, or the lack thereof. However, I usually end up toughing it out with the Grados with movies and games.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back