Help for a newbie
Feb 20, 2007 at 12:09 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 7

gooner265

New Head-Fier
Hi all , first post here , was recommended this site as I know nothing about quality headphones .i am looking for a decent set between £100 to poss £200 for my Arcam set-up ( see sig) .I would prefer not to get an amp yet if poss though I am not sure what sort of quality the headphone amp is the AVR 300.
I listen to a lot of prog rock ( Yes , Genesis , Flower Kings , Spock's Beard) so looking for something good with rocking and acoustic pieces and electronic music ( Jarre , Depeche Mode and Gary Numan) to give you some examples.

Recommendations so far are Senn HD600/650 , Grado SR 80 ( though these look uncomfortable) and Beyerdynamic DT990 Pro.
All advice appreciated.

Feb 20, 2007 at 1:06 AM Post #3 of 7
I'd say go with a Grado, but since you're using pounds, you probably aren't in the US, and thus the Alessandro MS1 would probably be a better value.

I've never heard them, but I hear they are pretty similar and much cheaper than the Grados in non-US countries. They have many fans here
smily_headphones1.gif

http://www.alessandro-products.com/headphones.html

Feb 20, 2007 at 8:45 AM Post #4 of 7
The 225s are £ 159 over here , are they really as uncomfortable as people say ? Also would I be better spending say £100 on headphones and £100 on an amp instead? If it really was worth it I would maybe go a little higher.

Feb 20, 2007 at 10:11 AM Post #5 of 7
given the music you listen to and your preference to having no amp, the ms1 might be good for you
smily_headphones1.gif
i don't actually own them, but they have been getting good raves here.

Feb 20, 2007 at 1:09 PM Post #6 of 7
If you are in the UK, u may consider goldring DR-150 as well..its about £60 including all expenses and is compared to grado sound( i havent heard a grado though)...it does well without amp and does improve on amping....and with your budget you may include an amp as well

Feb 20, 2007 at 1:50 PM Post #7 of 7
I just got me a pair of sr-225's and they're great. Tried both BeyerDynamics and Sennheiser before I decided but didn't like the cans (
confused.gif
). I just fell in love with the Grado design
smily_headphones1.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back