Help for a DIY newbie
Nov 28, 2009 at 9:31 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 6

bba1973

500+ Head-Fier
First of all, I used the search function, but still couldn't find what I was looking for (even in the tutorials). I apologize if what I'm posting has been asked to death.

I'm looking to get into DIY cabling. Just mini to mini interconnects for now (for my Clip+ to amp and such). I've already made one interconnect (pic here), but I need some more guidance. The biggest concern is what type of wire to use, preferably something off ebay (I've read navships is a good seller). No need for anything expensive, just something thicker than the cheap thin wire I have in my first successful DIY cable attempt.

As for materials, I've already got a soldering iron, solder, and wire cutters. I know I need some 3.5mm plugs, wire, and a helping hands station. Would I need heat shrink or some type of sheathing for it? Is braiding necessary? If so, how do you braid wire properly?

For the wire, what type and gague should I use? OFC copper? Silver-plated copper? Again, I'm just trying to make some decent, short mini to mini interconnects.

Any guidance would be appreciated. Thanks for reading.

Nov 29, 2009 at 5:50 AM Post #2 of 6
Just three posts below yours, well it was, isn't anymore now that I bumped you up
biggrin.gif

People seem to use a lot of quad microphone cable because of the quality, separate channels, and good shielding. Other than the ones mentioned in my thread, the Mogami 2524 is fairly popular.

Good luck.

Nov 29, 2009 at 6:08 AM Post #3 of 6
I read that thread, but I'm still unsure about what gague wire I should use. That's my biggest concern. I don't want to buy wire that's too thick to fit in the plug. Also, it doesn't need to be any cryogenically treated pure silver stuff. Just something inexpensive that will work better than Radioshack cables.

Thanks for the reply. I'm learning...
icon10.gif

Nov 29, 2009 at 6:57 AM Post #5 of 6
So you have the same concern I have then, if the diameter of the cable is too thick it won't fit the plug.
biggrin.gif
Anyone know what the max diameter for the "standard" 3.5mm plugs? (esp. Neutrik?)

The cables I mentioned might sound super fancy high tech expensive, but they're usually really cheap. :p

Edit; for a "helping hands station" just check ebay.

Nov 29, 2009 at 9:18 AM Post #6 of 6
Quote:

Originally Posted by momomo6789 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Mogami 2524 is 26 awg like 60c a foot

Ah, now we're getting somewhere. Thanks! What other gagues work well with this sort of thing? 22? I am lost with gagues unless it's guitar and bass strings.

Found a helping hands station on ebay for $10. I'll probably get one of those, or maybe spring for one with an LED for $20. They didn't have any at Radioshack last time I was there, but I'm sure ebay has better deals anyway.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back