Help for a COMPLETE newbie please! Choosing a headphone for computer audio! :)
May 9, 2006 at 8:09 PM Post #16 of 30
Woo! A lot cheaper into the bargain! Awesomeness/10!
Better than the SR125s for the same price though?
smily_headphones1.gif
(although I probably wouldn't get grados just because I wouldn't be able to stand the discomfort)

Any suggestions for a nice amp to go with that now that I can afford it? :p

May 9, 2006 at 8:16 PM Post #17 of 30
i dont have much love for grado headphones between seins 600/650 or grado rs1 i would go for the seins honestly.

as for amp

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.d...MakeTrack=true

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Rega-Ear-Headp...QQcmdZViewItem

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Graham-Slee-So...QQcmdZViewItem

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Musical-Fideli...QQcmdZViewItem

i have been thinking about buying one of theses to compare to my graham slee/psu1 you could save me some money buy it and tell me if its good
biggrin.gif

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.d..._BIN_Stores_IT

May 9, 2006 at 8:32 PM Post #18 of 30
Another vote for DT770,a great fun cans,with BASS and great sound stage,if you decide to upgrade later,you can send them to larry to make it darth beyer to make the bass tighter.

but they need to be amped to get the bass right.the best portable amp that I found with dt770 is supermacro with opa604.great sounstage and bass!

May 9, 2006 at 8:35 PM Post #19 of 30
that last... "thing" looked impressive :p

Umm I think I'll cheap out and get one of the cheaper ones... The Graham's looks good =]

edit: *cough* I just realised the mistake in me saying that...

*looks at the cheaper amps..*

May 9, 2006 at 8:39 PM Post #20 of 30
Well! I just ordered the senn 600s!
smily_headphones1.gif
not too bad off ebay!

Just need an amp now :p I'll look through those and see which ones end up at an affordable price.. is there any major difference between the amps you listed crimson_squee? (M:TG player? O.o)

May 9, 2006 at 8:58 PM Post #21 of 30
my magic eight ball says
biggrin.gif

slee will go for £200/300
Musical Fidelity X-CAN V2 £100/200
rega ear around £80
project £30/60

I would go for the rega ear for bang to buck to start however Yes without a doubt an amp will help the sound but i would listen to it on the sound card and then deicide if you want an amp or not.

May 9, 2006 at 11:27 PM Post #22 of 30
Quote:

Originally Posted by Oo_oO
Ok I'm quite fixed on the 555s now... but a few more questions first:

How much difference is there between the 555 and, say the 650 in terms of sound quality and what would be a cheap but good quality amp to use with either?

Thanks for patience!
smily_headphones1.gif

Hard to say, Some will think night & day. Others may say very little.

The 555's are so good! the 650's to me have a very sweet detail and a liquid midrange with a endless bottom end thats smooth and controled. But your amp and source really need to be good for these benefits to really show.

Givin your source and lack of amp, I would not get any of the high impedance headphones.

I've used a lot of headphones over the years and the 555's where the first ones I got for so little that had such a large impact of SQ and ability to sound very good with what ever music I thru at them.

I've heard Grados but they are not in the same league(I'm talkin about there low end models)as the 555's

I've owned some AKG's and have used Beyerdynamics and to date nothing sounds as good as the 555's with a low end source. The others are in need of HQ source/amp to really shine.

The only thing that buged me about the 555's was the 1/4" headphone plug!
They really should come with the 1/8" plug at 1 meter(imo).

May 9, 2006 at 11:33 PM Post #23 of 30
Quote:

Well! I just ordered the senn 600s!
smily_headphones1.gif
not too bad off ebay!

Just need an amp now :p I'll look through those and see which ones end up at an affordable price.. is there any major difference between the amps you listed crimson_squee? (M:TG player? O.o)

Did not see this post! Go for Gary's PA2V2. Works great with my 650's and cost $60.

Dont forget the 600/650 senn need burnIn!!! min of 96 hours.

May 10, 2006 at 1:29 PM Post #24 of 30
thanks for all the help guys!
smily_headphones1.gif

PA2V2 is only available on ebay in canada but they do ship worldwide.. seems quite cheap and cheerful too! I'll watch one or two of them and see how much they get to and grab one if they're not too bad!

I might be back depending on whether I need more help or not :p but for the time being, thanks too you all for all the help! Much appreciated!
biggrin.gif

May 10, 2006 at 6:15 PM Post #25 of 30
Quote:

thanks for all the help guys!
smily_headphones1.gif

PA2V2 is only available on ebay in canada but they do ship worldwide.. seems quite cheap and cheerful too! I'll watch one or two of them and see how much they get to and grab one if they're not too bad!

I might be back depending on whether I need more help or not :p but for the time being, thanks too you all for all the help! Much appreciated!
biggrin.gif

Are you sure?

http://www.electric-avenues.com/

May 12, 2006 at 1:34 PM Post #27 of 30
Hey guys! Just to check back with you all! I got my 600s in the post this morning and.. wow! They really are an amazing set of headphones! I'm totally immersed in my music!
biggrin.gif

Hopefully when my amp comes they can get a bit more OOMPH in them (at the moment not loud enough either) as well as after I burn them in.
smily_headphones1.gif

Just listening to some anime acoustics right now... sounds so amazing! I can hear so much detail!!!

Thanks again guys!
smily_headphones1.gif

May 14, 2006 at 7:48 AM Post #28 of 30
Quote:

Ok I'm quite fixed on the 555s now... but a few more questions first:

How much difference is there between the 555 and, say the 650 in terms of sound quality and what would be a cheap but good quality amp to use with either?

Thanks for patience!
smily_headphones1.gif

While the 555's are OK? they are not in the same class as the 580's. Do a search on the 580's. Have the exact same drivers as the 600's. I have both and hear little or no difference.
I also recommend the bithead as a must for your source.
The 580's and bithead should be within your budget.
Luck,
Jim

Sorry, didn't read all the way through before posting.
Enjoy those 600's.
Jim

~

May 14, 2006 at 3:58 PM Post #29 of 30
Quote:

I don't know the difference between open and closed ^^"...

Also are you saying I'd need extra parts along with a set of headphones because i'm using them through a computer?

edit: Oh and audio goes through the SB audigy not the internal card of the laptop
smily_headphones1.gif

edit 2: Oh and I just looked that bithead thing up; doesn't appear to be available to the UK...

Hm... Your Audigy is pretty much crap. Very bad chanel separation...
If you need a Gaming card, Get the soundblaster X-fi, its good for music too
smily_headphones1.gif

May 15, 2006 at 12:25 AM Post #30 of 30
Soundblaster X-Fi is great. I, too, am using my comp as the primary audio center
frown.gif
Oh well. Just got a pair of AKG 701s! and don't know what amp to get to power them
frown.gif
Any sugggestions?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back