Help Fixing Broken Grado SR60i headphones
May 29, 2015 at 12:53 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 9

NeonGhosts

New Head-Fier
First of all, hello!

My Grado SR60i headphones have broken. The black joints between the headband and the cans have broken. Here's a picture:

I tried using epoxy in the joint, which worked for a while before losing strength. Then I tried using duct tape (as you can see in the picture), but the pressure eventually stretches the tape. I have no idea what to try next, so I thought asking you people since I know there's a huge mod community for Grado headphones. I'm not quite ready to let go of my Grados.
frown.gif

May 29, 2015 at 5:01 PM Post #2 of 9
Have you tried contacting Grado for some spare parts?

They've normally got excellent customer service and others have had replacement parts for free using this method.... but I think they usually prefer doing things domestically. If you're over-seas it gets more complicated.
(Just talking from the experiences of others I've read about. )

May 29, 2015 at 5:06 PM Post #3 of 9
I think the gimbals are put together using some sort of hot glue normally.

I broke the seal on one of mine when I replaced the headband, but it's still holding together by itself.  The metal band should click in place (I think) when it's in the right place.

Could try hot glue or even a white glue on the metal part, insert it into the black part of the gimbal, then clamp it together to dry.

Otherwise, I would echo what was said above.  Try contacting Grado and see if they'll send you a replacement headband.

May 29, 2015 at 5:53 PM Post #4 of 9

I broke the seal on one of mine when I replaced the headband, but it's still holding together by itself.  The metal band should click in place (I think) when it's in the right place.

hot glue's also a good idea... but you'd have to be fast since it dries so quickly. 
At least if you screw it up you just peel it off and try again!

Not sure about the 'click in place' since that doesn't happen with my headband... I just stuff mine in with some force and it just stays in without any problem. 
But it's on older SR80, not even an 'i' ... so it might be slightly different on the inside.

May 29, 2015 at 6:00 PM Post #5 of 9
  hot glue's also a good idea... but you'd have to be fast since it dries so quickly. 
At least if you screw it up you just peel it off and try again!

Not sure about the 'click in place' since that doesn't happen with my headband... I just stuff mine in with some force and it just stays in without any problem. 
But it's on older SR80, not even an 'i' ... so it might be slightly different on the inside.

It's been at least a year (or 2) since I replaced the headband, so I could very well be wrong.

Mine is a 225i, but I think the headband/gimbal assembly is the same for 60-225 and only changes (and only then due to the different pad, pretty sure all of the non-headband parts are still the same) on the 325+.

May 29, 2015 at 6:01 PM Post #6 of 9
Yeah... it could just be a simple case of the glue in my gimbal crumbling in a way that it's actually useful and holds the headband when I stuff it in. 
biggrin.gif

May 31, 2015 at 12:52 PM Post #7 of 9
  Have you tried contacting Grado for some spare parts?

They've normally got excellent customer service and others have had replacement parts for free using this method.... but I think they usually prefer doing things domestically. If you're over-seas it gets more complicated.
(Just talking from the experiences of others I've read about. )

No I haven't. I know they'll fix your headphones for free but, like you mentioned, I'm overseas so it gets complicated. I just send them an email to see if they'll send me replacement parts.

Could try hot glue or even a white glue on the metal part, insert it into the black part of the gimbal, then clamp it together to dry.

Well I did try that with epoxy instead of hot glue. I don't see how hot glue can be stronger than epoxy but I'll give it a try.

May 31, 2015 at 11:13 PM Post #8 of 9
  First of all, hello!

My Grado SR60i headphones have broken. The black joints between the headband and the cans have broken. Here's a picture:

I tried using epoxy in the joint, which worked for a while before losing strength. Then I tried using duct tape (as you can see in the picture), but the pressure eventually stretches the tape. I have no idea what to try next, so I thought asking you people since I know there's a huge mod community for Grado headphones. I'm not quite ready to let go of my Grados.
frown.gif

I can't see exactly how they came apart; are the gimbals in one piece? You can ask Grado for spare parts, just pay the international shipping costs. If you have a freight forwarding account then have Grado mail them there and you just pay the forwarder.

Jun 1, 2015 at 3:24 AM Post #9 of 9

I can't see exactly how they came apart; are the gimbals in one piece? You can ask Grado for spare parts, just pay the international shipping costs. If you have a freight forwarding account then have Grado mail them there and you just pay the forwarder.

The plastic gimbal connectors with L & R lettering have proabably fallen apart along the seems and are now in 2 separate halves. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back